Escape key triggers the Menu and cannot be unbound

Game Version: June release

• Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • **Gamertag:_ViRuS_PuLsE

Issue:

Clicking the “Esc” key if you don’t have a unit or building selected brings up the Menu (which I have set as F10). Due to the Esc key’s proximity to the #1 key, there have been multiple times in the heat of battle where I’ve pressed it while trying to select units bound to #1 and have lost the battle because I was suddenly facing an unexpected menu pop-up.

There is no reason why Esc should function as a hidden menu hotkey, especially because there’s no way to unbind it as such.

Reproduction Steps:

• Enter game, select nothing, press “Esc”. You will see the main menu pop up. If you look at your hotkeys, the menu will likely be set to F10 by default, so Esc should never generate this pop-up.
4 Likes

Bumping this, hopefully this gets attention. In the original game this didn’t happen, so it’s quite annoying when I try to deselect units by pressing Escape only to trigger the menu.

was this prior to any of the recent update or has this been an issue for awhile now?

its sad normally the people behind design of UI/game aren’t the one whos actually using/playing it so they would never come across these issue. hope they fix it

It’s been like this since the beta as far as I remember, unfortunately.

1 Like

Look at when the thread was opened. About two years ago, so I’d say it definitely existed pre any DLC.

did not notice the thread creation date at all

Hi guys, I have brought up the suggestion with my colleagues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that it seems like hotkeys have been changed in recent patches… time to bump this issue again.

The Escape key did not open the menu in the original game, this behavior needs to be customizable in DE. I’ve almost quit a game accidentally several times due to clicking on the quit button when I wasn’t expecting the menu to pop up.

2 Likes

yea its kinda silly, the escape key are used by me as cancel/abort key. if I bring up a menu by accident I want to use escape to exit out of that menu/abort it.

not sure why this needs to be touched

Bumping this one more time, as Escape still opens the menu in the middle of games unintentionally.

This should now be addressed in Update 93001.

1 Like

Yay!
(Let’s type at least 20 characters in celebration!)