Exapansion name - Dawn of the Dukes

Hi guys,
I was inspired by this topic made by @YatsuiHayamoto about “Poland as a part of DLC about duchies”.
This is why the Poles were chosen finally to make part of a DLC about Duchies
It looks like there are massive missconceptions about expansion name and I would like to make post to solve some problems.

First, the expansion name is “Dawn of the Dukes”. Many people read it wrong: “Dawn of the Duchies” and therefore think that new civilization are duchies. Well, there are not duchies and this is already debunked by civilization discription.
2021-07-29
[ there is no straight forward information that Bohemia is Kingdom, but we can read “advanced weapons” and judging by their UU and emblem, Bohemia in AoE II has nothing to do with duchy ]

So despite both Bohemia and Poland started as a duchy, designers show us that in our hand we are going to get kingdoms, not duchie.

So the myth about duchies is gone. Now it rise questions like why new civilizations that are included in this expansion are kingdoms, yet name is Dawn of the Dukes ? It is because like the name suggest focused around Dukes, not duchies. New campaigns are explaining everything:
2021-07-29 (1)
I have underlined names of the dukes. As we can see there two dukes characters in both Lithuanian and Polish campaign. Algirdas and Kestutis will drive out and defeat greedy Teutonic Knights, while in Polish campaign discription we see Jogaila - duke which became king of Poland and Vytautas who will became grand duke of Lithuania.
While there is no duke mentioned in Jan Zizka campaign discription, from historical note we will probably hear about Vytataus The Great again who was supposed to become king of Bohemia and probably others who we will meet in the coming expansion :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Its just a catchy name nothing more, last khans had lithuanians who are not nomadic in anyway and african kingdoms had portuguese.

4 Likes

Indeed. I just noticed that many people try to connect name of the DLC with new civilizations, but ofcourse like you said it is just catchy name.

3 Likes

kings conquerors khans rajas lords dukes,devs might run out of titles soon.

2 Likes

Tbh whats kinda stupid is that we got both Burgundians and a DLC called Dawn of the Dukes for separated.

2 Likes

True they could have just made a 4 civi dlc and called it lords of the west rather than break one dlc in to two.

1 Like

the DLC should have been called “Slavic Sensations” and with 2 more Balkan Slav civs.

4 Likes

Slavic Sensations sounds like a really stupid DLC name.

3 Likes

I think Dawn of the Dukes would be better for a DLC including civs from diferent parts of Europe rather than Lords of the West.

1 Like

Sounds more a 2005 cd of Summer eletro hits

1 Like

I just want say - August is here and we dont have DLC.
I cant wait. Really hope that release is not 28 August or something.
Yesterday was too late for official announcing.

5 Likes

Just read speculation on AOE Discord that the release date could be August 25th during gamescom?

3 Likes