Extreme AI bugged?

I remember when Cysion said that the extreme AI would be better than the hardest AIs in the old game.
I am a 2k level HD player/1700 voobly player and so far I’ve never lost to the Extreme AI 1v1 and funnily enough 2v1. In contrast, I have rarely beaten the barbarian AI on hardest and I can never beat Barbarian AI 2v1 even on hard mode. This makes me really question Cysion’s words.

I think there is some bug in the coding which decides what strategy to use. I am almost always seeing the AI go for Skirms and Spears and never masses gold units. And the feudal timing is always 2-3 minutes late. Is this only buggy for me or is it how the AI is supposed to be?

Hello Fenrir569,

That comparison you mentioned is about the old standard AIs (CD & HD versions).
Barbarian is unquestionably very strong (made by a top 10 player as well, TheMax) on hard difficulty but keep in mind that it will cheat on hardest as most other custom AIs do (standard DE AI never cheats as we also removed any hardcoded resource cheats).

By feudal timing do you mean when it reaches the feudal age or when its attack hits? We will take a look at the strategy selection as well as the feudal timing, thank you!

-Promiskuitiv

4 Likes

Hey Promi,

The thing is I remember even Promi AI being more aggressive on hard and hardest on HD. The uptime to feudal is slower from the AI… in 2v1 I went with 23 pop archers and one AI went castle age Magyar Huszar but by that point I had dealt some damage to its eco while the other was mongols and just died to my archer attack which I sent to only by around minute 14-15. And neither ever attacked my base at any point. Both AIs feudal and castle times were pretty slow. I understand if I let them boom it might have been a different battle perhaps but I wanted to avoid the spamming of units that AIs do.

I also see that the AIs more often than not prefer to go for fast castle strat.

1 Like

That sounds like an issue with strategy selection indeed, I will look into it. Thank you again. :slight_smile:
-Promiskuitiv

4 Likes

It appears, that currently extreme AI can’t beat 7 old AIs at once without player doing strange tricks to guide them :slightly_frowning_face:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/e93j1d/de_extreme_ai_vs_7_cd_ais/

1 Like