"Failed to connect to multiplayer services. Request was Invalid."

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: Version 101.101.42848.0 5818516
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

I had played Aoe2 DE for many months without any issues. Yesterday I installed the latest update, and on the same day I switched my antivirus from Kaspersky to F-secure.

Now, when the start screen opens, multiplayer is grayed out. When I click “reconnect to multiplayer services”, following warning comes up:

“Failed to connect to multiplayer services. Request was Invalid.
Source: AccountLoginEvent
Error Code: 0xffffffff
Extended Code: 0xffffffff”

I can not play the game.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time (ALWAYS)

Things I have tried so far:

• Adding AoE2DE_s.exe on “app and file control: excluded” -list on F-secure
  • Adding steam.exe, steamwebhelper.exe, and SteamService.exe on “app and file control: excluded” -list on F-secure
  • Disabling DeepGuard
  • “Turn off all security features” on F-secure
  • Disabling windows firewall
  • Disabling windows firewall and “turn off all security features” on F-secure
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Aoe2 DE
  • Restarting computer and Aoe2 DE between every step above

So far nothing has had any effect.

Because I updated the game and my antivirus on the same day, I do not know which one of the two, or both, caused the issue.

3 Likes

This used to happen to me and I would always spam click “Retry” and it would magically work. Not using Steam but Windows Store instead (which I’ll never purchase anything from ever again).

Maybe it’ll get magically fixed if you try again.

p.s. - codebase is just a flaming dumpster, big reason why I never even bother with AOE 3 re-release. these “newly created bugs” are all self-created over past couple years. AOE 2 used to be an amazing, lean and clean running game. instant everything.

1 Like

LOOKS LIKE A patch may have fixed this bug. Downloading it right now… HOPE IT works! :crossed_fingers::metal:

UPDATE: WORKS.

Bump, same issue on Steam version, however, the only update i had was the initial hotfix (40mb) and not that 512 MB update you posted which fixes the problem

2 Likes

I downloaded the hotfix and updated the game to 43210. Didn’t help.

1 Like

For the last ~10 hours the start window has said “Server maintenance in progress”, although the maintenance ended 14 hours ago.

I had to add three directories to F-secure exceptions to get the game to work properly:

C:/Users/(User name)/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE/
C:/Program Files (x86)/AOE URL Helper/
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/

This happened after some time, so I recond F-secure found something it wanted to block with the latest update(s).

1 Like

Kakemomsen

I had to add three directories to F-secure exceptions to get the game to work properly:

C:/Users/(User name)/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE/
C:/Program Files (x86)/AOE URL Helper/
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/

This happened after some time, so I recond F-secure found something it wanted to block with the latest update(s).

I added these exceptions, but it didn’t help. So I tried uninstalling F-secure and reinstalling it again. Then I added these exceptions before doing anything else. Now the game works again. I don’t know why.

Thank you!

I’m having the same problem, but none of these solutions worked for me. Any clue of what might be happening?

1 Like

My problem never went away completely. What I have learned so far, is that if I disable my firewall completely before starting Aoe2de, the game connects to multiplayer services properly and the problem doesn’t occur. After the game has connected and I’m in the main menu i can enable my firewall again no problem. So it seems there is something that my firewall is blocking at the moment Aoe2de launches. The strange thing is that according to the firewall it is not blocking anything even when it is active.

hi, i have this problem error:0xffffffff

1 Like

Is that AoE1:DE, or AoE2:DE? Looks like “2” to me, as I don’t recall AoE1’s menu looking like your screenshot.

You posted in the AoE1:DE forum.

Regardless, I only see AoE2:DE reports from others. This AoE2 Support page may help you

If you still have the issue after the troubleshooting steps, view the note at bottom of that support page about submitting a request to the Support team.

For what it’s worth, one person a long time ago said they disabled firewall as the game launches and then enabled firewall when the Main Menu appears, and that was a workaround for them:

Searching the forum for “0xffffffff” may yield other helpful results for you

1 Like

HELPPP

Source: AccountLoginEvent
Error Code: 0xffffffff
Extended Code: 0xffffffff”

I can not play the game.

1 Like

They fixed a number of issues in today’s release. Try the latest patch and see if it works for you.

I updated the version. But my problem remains… what can you suggest me :frowning:

1 Like

Did you try the suggestions at 0xfffffff error code – Age of Empires Support ? Also, try turning off your firewall temporarily

I got this problem for 2 days now. I play on 2 different PCs.
Might that be the source of the problem?

I’m guessing you are correct that it’s because you are signed in elsewhere, as I am in the same situation - but since I cant pop home (several hundred miles away) to sign out this is really annoying.