Farming: did they change it?

Yo fam.

One of the places the original game really shows its age now is in the farming: it is very tedious to have to manually rebuild farms when they deplete. They mentioned gameplay changes, did anyone see anything about improving this?

Curious if they’ll implement the feature you see in AoE 2, where you can replenish farms from the Mill.

not clear about this, I do play AoE 2 HD, but I am already re installing 1 to get used to.

They should to… This game should be a combination of 1 and 2. Something like AOE 1.5
Another thing they should fix is the “hunter” because the villagers collect food with the same speed as foragers and farmers.

From the looks of the media material I would have to imagine this is a near definite yes - but I’m not a dev. In fact, based on the ground textures and trees, I would be almost assuming they’re using the AOE2 HD engine and putting AOE1 art and gameplay in rather than building off the AOE 1 engine which would be almost unworkable because of its age.
I’m kind of wondering if they’ll be using formations (didn’t see any in the videos).

I actually liked the farming in the original. It was nice having multiple farmers work off the one plot.

Theres a screen where the farms are shown - they have the central building removed - and look like they will work on the age ii or aom mechanic.

Hopefully we can walk over the farms instead of our farmers toiling away at the edge.

I dont think they are using the aoe2 HD engine here. At least I hope so. Im kinda hoping for preciser pathing and unit control and I really hope they put some work into refurbishing all of the gameplay to the point where it doesnt play like a rusty car with fancy paint on it. Also netcode and performance are still an issue in aoe2HD.
And I agree, there should be rather more gameplay changes than less in my opinion. I mean you really dont want to focus on rebuilding every farm in a longer muliplayer game… Its just draining and really doesnt add to the aoe1 experience imho.

It’s still genied engine(same as aoe and aoe2) according FE dev.

@AlexTehGreat2 said:
From the looks of the media material I would have to imagine this is a near definite yes - but I’m not a dev. In fact, based on the ground textures and trees, I would be almost assuming they’re using the AOE2 HD engine and putting AOE1 art and gameplay in rather than building off the AOE 1 engine which would be almost unworkable because of its age.
I’m kind of wondering if they’ll be using formations (didn’t see any in the videos).

Yeah I was wandering about formations too. Units pathfinding and behaviour was really… hmm not great. But as you said there are no signs in the trailer and I saw quite a lot of soldiers just idle in the middle of the battle…so… quite true to the original I think.

@Sadaurkar said:
I actually liked the farming in the original. It was nice having multiple farmers work off the one plot.

Yeah I loved this mechanic too in original AoE. But with more farmers at the same time it makes problem with faster replenishing farms even more anoying.

@Sadaurkar said:

Wait did that ever work? I think only one farmer actually gathers food, the other one gets animated as if he’s working but he will only start pilling up food in their pockets once the other one leaves to drop his load.

Shots like this make me think that the farming system is the same.

@Sadaurkar said:

@RadekV said:

@Sadaurkar said:

Yeah I loved this mechanic too in original AoE. But with more farmers at the same time it makes problem with faster replenishing farms even more anoying.

Only one of the villlagers would gather food at a time, so the rest of the villagers were just killing time.

the more you know!

@“Andy P” that screenshot definitely makes it seem like farms can’t be walked over. Doesn’t rule out being queued for replenishment, though.

It would be nice if they implemented the mill thing from aoe2 and the granary thing from galactic battlegrounds

@“Andy P” said:
Shots like this make me think that the farming system is the same.

The farmers better have their cool hats like in the original.