Favorite Civs poll

With the release of the new dlc Dynasties of India there are now 42 civs in the game.
I am wondering what everyone’s favorite and least favorite civs are.

5 favorite civs
  • Aztecs
  • Bengalis
  • Berbers
  • Bohemians
  • Britons
  • Bulgarians
  • Burgundians
  • Burmese
  • Byzantines
  • Celts
  • Chinese
  • Cumans
  • Dravidians
  • Ethiopians
  • Franks
  • Goths
  • Gurjaras
  • Hindustanis
  • Huns
  • Incas
  • Italians
  • Japanese
  • Khmer
  • Koreans
  • Lithuanians
  • Magyars
  • Malay
  • Malians
  • Mayans
  • Mongols
  • Persians
  • Poles
  • Portuguese
  • Saracens
  • Sicilians
  • Slavs
  • Spanish
  • Tatars
  • Teutons
  • Turks
  • Vietnamese
  • Vikings

0 voters

5 least favorite civs
  • Aztecs
  • Bengalis
  • Berbers
  • Bohemians
  • Britons
  • Bulgarians
  • Burgundians
  • Burmese
  • Byzantines
  • Celts
  • Chinese
  • Cumans
  • Dravidians
  • Ethiopians
  • Franks
  • Goths
  • Gurjaras
  • Hindustanis
  • Huns
  • Incas
  • Italians
  • Japanese
  • Khmer
  • Koreans
  • Lithuanians
  • Magyars
  • Malay
  • Malians
  • Mayans
  • Mongols
  • Persians
  • Poles
  • Portuguese
  • Saracens
  • Sicilians
  • Slavs
  • Spanish
  • Tatars
  • Teutons
  • Turks
  • Vietnamese
  • Vikings

0 voters

1 Like

My 2 decade long love affair with the Teutons continues.

I got to say how surprised I am that Vietnamese is at the top

1 Like

I am a forever Incas stan. I thought I should just vote for them, but in hindsight I also really really love the Poles.

On the other hand, I really really hate playing Gunpowder civs, so I never liked Portuguese or Turks. At least with Bohemians, you get very easy OP eco and Houfnice.

Interesting, I hate a lot of the infantry civs personally, especially Aztecs and Vikings. They might have great eco, but not having Halbs just feels so wrong to me, and they are an infantry civ, which just isn’t as enjoyable as a lot of other civs personally.

I mostly play Black Forest and just can’t really make Gunpowder work as well as any generic cavalry or archer civ. Though in those infrequent ranked games, I hate getting Turks even more. Maybe I shouldn’t play them as Gunpowder and just go for standard Archers 11

I don’t mind infantry civs on BF, especially Incas - Kamayuks are so fun!

BF changes stuff, honestly, I would expect gunpowder to be amongst the best civs, because they can better reach their lategame, where they shine.

Oh, they can absolutely be powerful, I just can’t make them work whether I try for FI (mild success if ally helps) or boom. I think honestly either Bohemians (which is considered to be top BF civ anyway) or Hindustanis (with +2 on HC range) are the only ones I don’t hate.

But especially on random maps, I just hate my life constantly when playing Portuguese or Turks.

I wouldn’t play Portuguese as a gunpowder civ early on, I would play them as either an Archer, Knight, or Monk civ, the gold discount works everywhere. I also like their Organ guns, mass them up, and it’s pretty epic. Turks, I don’t like, even if a situation where you could go FI on Arena.

1 Like

Koreans have been my favourite since The Conquerors, but I think that balance changes over the years have worn away their identity somewhat.

2 Likes

Berbers and Persians are what I tend to gravitate towards as a civ picker. As soon as my schedule and wrists allow it I want to play some serious Gurjaras and see if I can make the camel scout work for me. Mongols are my favorite from the classic civs. Other options would include Byzantines, Franks. Cumans and Hindustanis.

I don’t keep a hate list. I tend to be a little intimidated by Goths and Celts, knowing the pikes are coming. But that’s play and counterplay, not bad design.

1 Like

I’ll be one of the few people who lists Burmese as their favorite civ. The vast tech tree specialized into unorthodox strategies and units is very fun. Monks infantry and elephants are among the coolest units in the game, and when your UU throws darts for area damage its hard to get more satisfying. Not well positioned in the meta but I don’t care.

(Only negative comments)

For me it’s not because of the weak range units. Burmese is a civ that is single-handedly ruined for me by their unique unit. At least they used to hit hard despite fragile. What role does it fulfill now? Sad because I used to like playing Burmese.

I had high hopes for Dravidians at first. Their units are just too painfully slow for my taste.

1 Like

I love Dravidians purely because their skirms fire at the same speed as archers.

2 Likes

Would anyone want me to reopen this poll/create a new one to include the Romans, Armenians and Georgians?

4 Likes

I would. I know those three civs aren’t the most popular, but I for one think Romans are well-made (beyond their initial release) and Armenians are pretty fun.

Yes, please !

It would be great to have a new one and compare how things changed !

1 Like