Favourite Myth Unit Poll (Max 5 choices)

Favourite Myth Unit Poll (Max 5 choices)
  • Minotaur
  • Cyclops
  • Centaur
  • Hydra
  • Manticore
  • Colossus
  • Medusa
  • Chimera
  • Anubite
  • Wadjet
  • Sphinx
  • Petsuchos
  • Scarab
  • Scorpion Man
  • Phoenix
  • Avenger
  • Mummy
  • Einherjar
  • Troll
  • Valkyrie
  • Battle Boar
  • Frost Giant
  • Mountain Giant
  • Fenris Wolf Brood
  • Fire Giant
  • Automaton
  • Promethean
  • Caladria
  • Satyr
  • Stymphalian Bird
  • Behemoth
  • Argus
  • Lampades
  • Heka Gigantes
  • Terracotta Warrior
  • Qilin
  • Monkey King
  • Pixiu
  • War Salamander
  • Jiangshi
  • Vermilion Bird
  • White Tiger
  • Azure Dragon
0 voters

Somehow I like humanoid myth units a lot.
Big monster are nice and all but I prefer armies of small and cheap myth units even though units Automaton or Terracotta Warriors are not really mythological.

I didn’t play the Chinese much (like most people probably) so I can’t really judge their myth units but many of them sound pretty cool.

2 Likes

The trolls are probably my favorite given the fact that they are pretty big (comparable to the cyclops and the minotaurs), have 2 heads, and throw rocks from their bags.
It’s a bit anti-climatic but in a way it makes me chuckle and appreciate them even more.

3 Likes

All the chinese myth units are incredibly ugly and boring and just show how small the budget for that garbage DLC was.

The terracotta warrior is just a reskinned hoplite or spearman, the azure dragon is probably the ugliest one and it has literally the same stats of the chimera, the giant salamander and the white thiger are the laziest piece of work that I’ve ever seen, they also have the size of a normal animal for no reason

Yeah that is unfortunately the case in AoMEE, but AoMR is remaking every model from scratch so there is some hope that we get some good looking Chinese Myth units.

But we don’t know if AoMR will even have the Chinese. 2 years ago they said they would rework them but now none of the official materials even mentions the Chinese.

However, this list is incomplete. It lacks the Naval and Transport Myth Units, and summoned ones. Additionally, some Land Myth Units, such as the Nemean Lion, are also missing.

1 Like

Yeah, 50 options was the limit and I had to remove some of them.
Unfortunately I can’t even add back the Nemean Lion, I can edit the poll only in the first 3 hours.

I always felt the Cyclops was pretty iconic, how it can throw a unit. It’s a shame though, such units were never introduced into play, because they are too expensive to add into a functional build order; so they were only used as an all-in or a joke.

The Stymph Birds are definitely the most required/usable I would say because Atlanteans downright suck once their first few minutes of the game are over, making them is almost always a good choice; their gathering is less, their building is less, this only becomes obvious when these bonuses are less like in a team game, or when trying to boom alongside the others. They have to rush and control in a 1vrs1 or they lose. While they might be able to make towers and compete, it is only an illusion by facing worse players, an Egypt, Greek, or Norse player has the upper hand in a late game situation over them.

3 Likes

My favorite AoM Myth Unit

3 Likes

i voted for Medusa, Colossus, Valkyrie, Fire Giant and Phoenix.

i normally like the giant monsters the most but i like overall like many myth units from humnoid to monstrosity.

picking 5 was quite hard and my now-self is quite different from my child-self.

my child-self would have picked: frost giant, hydra, cyclops, scorpian-man and sphinx.

but i still think some of these units need love and should look stronger/more scary or a bit different.

if i would have had more votes, i would have put cyclops, petsuchuos, avenger and frost giant still in my top 10 .

quite surprised mummy is that popular. O.o

i am surprised mountain giant and chimera don’t have more votes. i think they are pretty solid/cool too.

troll and minotaur are deffinitely cool sound wise and would be also very high in my tier list but troll in my opinion still feels a bit too weak for the unit it could be and minotaur suffers very hard of the old graphics and always looked a bit too boring in vanilla for me - which retold gladly fixes for me in a very great way.

regarding my votes:

• Medusa: coolest one-hit unit for me. very cool creature and also fits myth age really well in my opinion.

• Colossus: i think biggest land myth unit and gives very strong vibes. upgrades are even in the old game visible (which thankfully get fixed for the other myth untis) and it also fits really well the myth age.

• Fire Giant: fits again thematically very well the myth age and i like its effects and how its range and has the feel of impact, troll units lack in my opinion. also it has a cool death animation.

• Phoenix: yeah the model is not the greatest and its competitively nearly never meta when you have one-hit units and overall better god-powers elsewhere. but it gets a big plus cause its a flying unit which the original game really lacked. i also like the breath attack (even tho i think flying through buildings would be even cooler) and especially i like the sound of the the wings when flying and the idea of the egg-passive. i really wonder what retold will do with this unit i just think the model itself suffered the most but its still an all time favourite for me.

• Valkyrie: for me the decision here was between frost giant or valkyrie. but since i already gave my vote to fire giant, i didn’t want to give more votes for giants. valkyrie one also cause it was also an alltime favourite for me, i love the northern-light effect and that its one of too few female myth units. (so hope we get shield maidens for norse :P) i like how they talk and that they can heal but also are usefull in combat - unlike the atlantean caladria.
    Valkyrie is currently - in my opinion - one of the strongest classical age myth units, but when i look at retold this might change just regarding how imposing and strong other myth units look like. (hoped valkyrie would get an upgrade which either gives a range attack and let the horse fly or give the horse wings and let the valkyrie leap like bellerophon onto targets which both would fit the unit well in my honest opinion)

thats why i chose these 5 ones close over others (even i nearly gave cyclops, frost giant, mountain giant, avenger etc. also votes and are VERY close behind)

i also think the current chinese myth units shouldn’t be in the vote. cause they don’t feel or look great at all in my opinion at least. but i am sure in retold with a proper update some if not all could look really great and interesting. (you should do a second poll then :wink: )

1 Like