Feature Request for AOE 2 and AOE 4, and probably all AOE franchise

As i told, its would have “both”, some cosmetics you win for free in events, like this one of summer, that you are already winning cosmetics (with the diference that the current ones are only seen by the owner), and other ones you can buy them… it will give no advantages for the guy that just bought them. just give another style to the units… A LOT of games already do this… LoL, WoW, CS, Fortnite , and even Starcraft 2 (RTS like AOE) , if its not P2W, i dont see why do not accept this addition…

What a time to be alive … I cannot believe that I am reading this as a REAL SUGGESTION???

** deep breath **

Ok …
Should Age of Empires 2 DE add cosmetics/micro-transactions? No!

There are a couple of problems with skins.

• So much of AoE is unit recognition.
    During the heat of a battle, I do not want to have to do a double take/waste precious seconds to zoom in my screen to figure out what a unit is because it has some fancy cosmetic that makes identifying it difficult.
  • AoE units are emblematic of the franchise.
    To drastically change the look of these units would be removing the iconic nature of Age of Empires 2 units. The look & feel of the game will drastically change, and with it … the targeted audience.

For Example, compare this:

with this:

This is a perfect example of what the game will devolve to if cosmetics/micro-transactions are allowed into this game.

• Adding cosmetics/micro-transactions shifts the goal of playing the game and with that shift, the player-base is changed.
    The goal becomes playing the game to get cool skins, instead of playing the game how it was meant to be played.
  • Instead of the devs focusing on bug-fixes (i.e. pathfinding), new real content (campaigns, maps, etc.), and balance changes … we will get a new set of gloves that I can purchase so that my axemen throwing keyblades will look spiffy.

** shudder **
Heaven help us that we never come to that day.

8 Likes

Hello @SlyfoxLegend,
you got a point, I give you reason.
Unit recognition would be a mess…

ignore this post then hehe…

4 Likes

If it’s a data mod, I believe it shows the skins to all players

Microtransactions? No that’s not what this game is about
FE hasn’t become EA, thankfully.

It’s still sort of a microtransaction

Those added civs and campaigns
Not cosmetics

Also, not only regional skins will make the game way more complex unit-wise, but also I believe it should be only available to the one who wants to use it

The others will be confused

2 Likes

tbh im surprised they never added purchasable skins before, in the same way starcraft (or even COH2) did it… slightly modifying the existing skin and then selling it off for cheap.

people that dont want it (the majority) wont buy it, but the few who either want to support the devs or just want more variety will buy it and thus fund the devs to create more content

im explaining this to the people who seem to have completely missed the plot, and not realised how much money the devs can make out of this without damaging game balance one bit.

the devs arent idiots so they could make skins that still remarkably resemble the existing unit, with a few addtions ( eg more gold plates and a different caparison for paladins)

besides for your beautiful example of a strawman

“OMFG what is that unit it looks exactly like the paladin but it has the lith emblem instead of the fleurs-de-lis, im so confused”

1 Like

you realise 99.9% chance its a guy, especially BECAUSE of that avatar…

2 Likes

It is only a strawman argument if I exaggerated the OP’s position. I wish that I could say that I did, but unfortunately, my worst-case conclusion is backed by what we have seen historically to be the case with cosmetics/micro-transactions. Even the OP agreed with my point lol.

If it’s a guy online … it’s a guy
If it’s a girl online … it’s a guy
If it’s a kid online … it’s the FBI
:stuck_out_tongue:

yes thats why starcraft looks like it does, so does COH. just because some moronic games ended up ugly like aoe online, doesnt mean all of them end up like that. but yeah sure “but unfortunately, my worst-case conclusion is backed” because you said it, so it must be true… the 2 games i keep pointing out dont exist…

1 Like

Keep adding those, I don’t mind :wink: That’s actually quality content compared to skins. The only thing skin wise I could see are optional, I repeat, optional unique architecture sets and unit sets which are sold as DLC and not some kind of seasonal event that if you miss it, you won’t get it ever again. I already missed some of those fancy mods like the research glow which I really would have liked to get but couldn’t due to my studies.

I honestly wouldn’t want any AOE title filled with ridiculous things like Santa hats for champions or whatever else.

I have a better idea, instead of adding any sorts of microtransaction, we can do what Doom Eternal did and have cosmetics unlocked via challenges without time limits

1 Like

Why would the system auto hide my comment lmao 11. the author wrote starwars instead of starcraft and i corrected him, and the forums flag my post like its some offensive attack or something.

Calculating Research FX mod

3 Likes

I don’t see any hidden comment
Is it normal for you now too?

Yeah now it seems to be normal.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

2 Likes

I agree with unit skins but they should be client side only. if you want your knights to be region specific good on you, but you shouldn’t impact others with your visuals.

1. those who aren’t used to your unit skins will be negatively impacted, gameplay wise.
  2. you’d be forcing me to download extra stuff, that i can’t even use, just for something you want.
3 Likes

I totally agree with you. Its bad enough to have scirmishers throwing flowers and not spears. Fancy skins would solidly destroy the game.

1 Like

What about the people that wouldn’t want to see golden buildings? They never get an ability to disable skins.