Forming a modding group

An organization? You can invite me (alistair-jah) if you have one.

ohh nice very very good

Iā€™d love to join, so far Iā€™ve made lots of flag mods but I would like to learn more stuff to mod.

Gotta convince more modders to adopt GitHub though. On top of that, modders have to communicate a lot, know each otherā€™s work and trust each other.

Speaking of trusting peopleā€¦ I donā€™t know how content creators actually feel about authorship, but Iā€™ve only ever programmed AOE3 AIs since legacy and since AOE3 modders are not enthusiastic at all about AIs, Iā€™m actually happy when my snippets are used in other AIs.

Hey man, do you need someone who does triggers?

any discord link?

we could work this page as a little begginer reference: Modding (Age of Empires III) | Age of Empires Series Wiki | Fandom

1 Like

Can you please also add a link towards this tutorial? I know itā€™s extremely outdated and a lot of things wonā€™t work for the Definitive Edition but in case it gains some attention, I might rewrite it.

1 Like

All people can edit wikia, but I will do

1 Like

Hey, if you want we can start making this more public in 2-3 weeks. Iā€™m not at home right now, but if you want I can send you a discord invitation so we could get some ideas together :wink:

I will be out for the next 2 weeks

Just let me in.

Iā€™m a web developer, I have good programming skills and I want to work on AOE3 mods

Iā€™ve never made any mods for the game, but Iā€™ve already ventured through the civilizations and units files

Iā€™m not a modder but i would love to join this community, AoE III DE has so much modding potential and i habe plenty of ideas and mechanics we could try doing and scripting. If i may, do you guys have a discord group?

to both of you, we have our own discord with couple people in already

how can we get an invite?

1 Like

The server has been dead for a long time. Not sure whatā€™s going on up there now. As far as I know, thereā€™s no ā€œglobalā€ project where every modder of the community is involved. But there are a lot of separate projects, and modders simply ask each other when they need to know something, need to test something, or need some other kind of help, etc.

basically yes
i did leave it a while back, but it was due to other responsibilities

Is it actually closed off? If it is I havenā€™t experienced that. Both here and on the discord I see people helping out all the time.

Donā€™t worry, modders are actually extremely helpful and thereā€™s a lot of interaction. I simply wish there was a big ā€œcentralizedā€ place to communicate, and unfortunately this thread could not make it. I mean, thereā€™s this subforum but as I can see, the majority prefers Discord. A good first step would be to join one of the biggest servers out there:

1 Like

Hey,
the project sadly doesnā€™t exist anymore.
Back then, while I was active, I really wanted to get into modding because I loved to do maps, but didnā€™t really know how to use triggers or any programming language. It didnā€™t took a long time until the first modders with different knowledge asked to join it. So I made the discord server bigger and more accessible and there was quite a lot of communication in the group. We tested our mods and maps and mostly any question was answered after a while. But then I started to become inactive and so did the chats. I wanted to redo the discord channel to make it more attractive again, but I eventually stopped with the whole idea because of my inactivity and interest in other things.I gave an other modder an admin role so he could continue with what Iā€™ve started but nothing happened (Probably my fault because I didnā€™t talk to him much about it). And I eventually closed the server forever.

Today I must admit that I regret it, because the project was going quite well, even involving one ore two people who never had any experience with modding or map design. And Iā€™d love to start a project 2.0, but I didnā€™t want to make a new post about it because I didnā€™t want it to end the same. But there are always new messages in this group which make me think "why not starting again?? ".

If thereā€™s any interest in me hosting a new server I would immediately say yes.

I hope this answers a few questions you might have, if you want to talk further about it or about making a new server itā€™s probably the most easy way if u add me on discord. Killey#5798

Iā€™ll start making and organizing a discord then tomorrow :slight_smile:

But it would be quite nice if you could help me especially with the channels needed. The first discord server didnā€™t really had an organized approach to it.

1 Like