FPS / stutter problem when in game

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.61591.0 8647032
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 (There’s no windows 11 option but I run windows 11)

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The game runs slow and shocky when I am in game. When I am outside of the game it runs fine. Aka when I alt-tab.
I have an I12-600k, 2080S and a good nvme-ssd. I can get 300+ fps easily so my system is not the limitation.
I am also on all the latest drivers I can download for my GPU. It only started after the latest dlc if I remember correctly.
Also yes. I tried every setting, Every screen type (window, full screen and the other option) and I verified game files.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)

It’s really hit or miss. Sometimes I have no issue. If I do I must full restart and pray to Steve Jobs for good performance.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start the game and hope for the bug
  2. ???
  3. Net loss.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

A smooth gameplay experience.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

Best I can do.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/887256785700921354/972015131263377478/SP_Replay_v101.101.61591.0_2022.05.05_111000.aoe2record

Again best I can do.

Btw. With the video I wish to point out that it’s really smooth and there are no issues. Until you look at the FPS at the top.

What I tried to look for was an “Focus loss option” or something like that. This has some of the same traits as that when you alt tab or something but than the reverse is applied.

Like my gpu draws about 136 watts when I am outside the game but when I focus on the windows it goes down to 73 watts.

I have no clue.

Hi @Teroef !

Can you send to us some files in order to investigate this?

1. Your DxDiags: https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052783111-How-to-find-information-for-troubleshooting-with-Support
  2. A video where lag could be seen (and fps, press F11 for that)
  3. A save game that was saved when the lag started.
  4. Recorded game

This happens in multiplayer games or also campaign/skirmish?

Thanks!

1. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/887256785700921354/972087746912976936/DxDiag.txt
  2. 20220506_130952.mp4 - Google Drive I tried my best doing this with one hand. You can see it isn’t smooth when I am in game but it works perfectly fine when I am outside the game.
  3. LAGGY_THE_SAVED_GAME.aoe2spgame - Google Drive
  4. SP Replay v101.101.61591.0 @2022.05.06 125745.aoe2record - Google Drive

It does this both in multiplayer and single player. I also don’t have any mods on that are the issue. I tried turning them on and off.

Thanks!

Do you play with VSync and Enhanced Graphics?

I play with v sync off. I do however have G-sync on my monitor and that is on. I’ll try turning that off once I have the chance and I’ll report back here.

Also yes on enhanced graphics.

So at the moment I am having issues replicating the issue. I try to see if I get the issue again. If I do I will see if G-Sync was the issue or not.

Oke let me know if you can repro and I will create a ticket if so :smiley:

I got the issue again. it wouldn’t suprise me if it had to do with G-sync. I went to the Nvidia control pannel and turned it off. It didn’t solve the issue. Turning it back on didn’t solve the issue as well sadly.

This is where my knowlegdes lacks but I went into windowed mode and moved the application to my other monitor which doesn’t use G-sync but the issue remained.

Yes! It is a G-Sync issue! I went back to the main menu and then turned G-Sync off and went back into the game and I got 60ish fpos but it was smooth. Having smooth 60 is better than what I had before. I could not get the system to go to 165 fps but I’ll take it. I than went back into the menu and turned G-sync on and got the stuttering issue again.

I’ll see if I have new drivers for my monitor.
Well… Update on this. There aren’t any. But at least I now know to turn off G-sync and I’ll be able to at least play. No matter if I get less frames per second I at least get smoothness.

Also. I am atm playing with G-sync on with 165 fps (only reason I mention this is because A: My monitor can go up to 165 and B: My system can handle 165 fps) Sooo… Good luck with finding and or fixing this issue D:

Thanks @Teroef ! I share this info with my teammates ^^