Fre., Spa., Port. unique buildings

There are only 3 civilizations in the game that don’t have access to a unique building, either constructable by settlers or via a shipment: French, Spanish and Portuguese.

The purpose of this topic is to consider potential ideas for a fitting unique building for each of those three civs.

The unique building could be a variant of an existing generic building or a totally new one. It’s not necessarily about wether the civ would need it or not.

Here are my ideas:

French:

• Rendezvous
    Rendezvous is a temporary structure built by Coureurs des Bois. Coureurs des Bois gathering food from huntables within the area of effect of the Rendezvous will generate Gold instead of Food. Lasts 1,5 minute, and can be built once per age.

Alternatives:
. Cabane à Sucre. A wooden cabin that consumes nearby trees to generate a small trickle of Gold.
. Tannerie (a variant of the market).

Spanish:

• Reduction
    Built on and from a Native Site socket. Reduction is basically a big house with more HP that provides 30 population but doesn’t allow access to the native units or technologies. Costs as much as House.

Alternative: Mission. Replaces the Advanced Trading Post card. Trade Posts are turned into Missions. Missionaries can build Missions on Native Sites. Missions are similar to Advanced Trading Posts, but they also heal nearby units and can train Missionaries.

Portuguese:

• Feitorias
    Basically renames the Town Center and slightly changes its appearance.

Alternative: Padrão (could be automatically built when a treasure is claimed, and give line of sight).

9 Likes

Feitorias should be built on the trade post. A small fort type building.

4 Likes

I like the idea of the portuguese having a unique Town center given their civ bonus
And then would need to think of a new name for the HCC Feitorias

1 Like

Mission:
Another possibility for the mission would be having it as a late game building tied to Unction.

Missionaries could garrison inside and it would increase their aura range and allow them to slowly heal units at a longer than normal range even when the units are fighting (think like 0.1hp per second per missionary). Healing range would probably only be about 30. Enemy mortars should be able to out range it.

Build limit would probably be 1, so you’d have to destroy it and rebuild it to move it to cover a new area.

Feitorias:
A more expensive trading post that collects more income. Costs 250w but the trade route delivers +30%. At native posts the technologies are discounted by 30%. HP would be the same as a normal trading post as there needs to be some downside beyond the cost.

This would reduce the strength of the 10/10 a bit. I’ve noticed people complaining about that recently.

5 Likes

That’s a really cool idea, I love it!

3 Likes

I previously did this concept for a Feitoria town center:

I think the Portuguese deserve custom art for their special town center, for sure.

The mission idea for the Spanish is great as well!

But the French suggestions don’t seem quite right yet. I think the Tannerie is maybe the way to go, there aren’t any unique markets at the moment. But what would it do? And how could it be made more specifically French?
Perhaps you could set it to automatically slowly convert one resource to another?

Otherwise maybe a unique french tavern would be cool. Call it a Cabaret, give it an Absinthe upgrade, and have the Age IV version have a red windmill on top :wink:

12 Likes

Huh, I really like the Rendezvous idea. Although I’d have them add coin on top of food, and maybe not make them temporary, hunts around are gonna run out eventually anyways.

1 Like

This is a fantastic concept! I would sugest a small wall around the front of the TC to give it that Little Fort vibe.

1 Like

I really like your concept. This may sound intrusive but I would like to see concepts for all European civs - and even unique Architecture Sets for each European civ.

3 Likes

What if the mission just changed how unctioned worked? So if Missionaries were garrisoned inside they’d boost nearby villager work rate instead of boosting military units.

So would I :grinning:
It would be a huge amount of work… I did the British cottage and the Feitoria because they sounded fun and had cool unique features or designs. I’m not sure about all the other civs.
If I do get around to doing any others, I think my first choice would be to do some Ottoman designs. They deserve unique architecture.

2 Likes

Could work. Personally, I’d probably stick with it being a military bonus, but I don’t play much Spain so I was mostly just throwing a suggestion that seemed cool that a few people ended up liking

Definitely yes.

Do you think it is possible to create a universal Architecture Set for all MENA civs?