Future DLCs and the argument for/against NEW Civs

This game is more balanced than ever, and the 2 new civs are just average at best, so there is no difficulty in balancing anything.

Like it or not, HD proved that AoE2 will either expand, or die.
It is either more civs and campaigns, or lack of official suuport and a dead game.
This is what happened to Starcraft 2, and that game had a MUCH bigger scene than AoE2. Most players only play Singleplayer, and only pay for Singleplayer content, like it or not.

No, it was pretty dead, and had a miniscule scene. It will not survive dying again.

5 Likes

As i said i don’t mind more contents LATER and later means at least 3 or 5 years from now, we need to fix now on fixing the bugs, balances, pathing and crashes

Microsoft would pull the plug and kill it off, before it made even a year without sales. This Industry has got faster and faster, and there is no 3-5 year period nonsense anymore.

Either the product shows continuous sales, or gets abandoned as “complete”.

5 Likes

But we got DE after 4 years of Ras of Rajas HD and the game was still good.

The game cannot be sustained on an endless cycle of bug fixing and balance updates alone, especially not in a 3 or 5-year timeframe if there is no financial aspect to it. It is impossible to balance everything and very unlikely every bug will be fixed. Each patch will bring its issues, especially because everyone demands their changes get added and then get mad because it’s not what they wanted or it didn’t pan out.

Microsoft cannot please everyone but at least they haven’t killed the game yet. Fix the bugs, sure. But it’ll be an endless cycle because nobody can agree on how to balance a single civilisation for starters.

6 Likes

3 years, actually, and that was justified because they were working on the Last Khans for HD, but then MS decided to sell it for DE instead.

2 Likes

Microsoft should divert resources from AoE II: DE to give AoE: DE some love. It feels as if they have forgotten about the game that started the entire franchise, the game hasn’t been updated in months and the entire community around AoE I is completely ignored by the developers. There is a trending topic on the official forums and here it is, Why is Age of Empires 1 so stagnant?.

1 Like

I would love an exansion for AoE1 DE, but that game never sold as well as 2 De, so there is no chance for that.

Microsoft wants money, like any company, so it will invest in the product that actually sells, and both AoE1 DE and AoE3 De have no sold that well, and have minimal player retention.

4 Likes

I would love additional AoE1 content, that would be great - but I reckon because it lacks the playerbase of AoE2, it’ll just slowly die simply because it’s not AoE2, which is unfortunate.

I would totally be on board with additional content for 1 and 3 whilst giving 2 a proper fixup, but I feel the chances are too low.

3 Likes

AoE III has a smaller playerbase and it gets more love. And I think the reason Microsoft wants more money is because it has more businessmen than passionate programmers like Bill Gates now. And the design language for some apps like MS Teams is terrible.

Well to be fair AoE3:DE is far more recent title and it was in a rather dire state upon release, but you’re right that it shipped with more content. I haven’t touched AoE1 in a long time so I’m not up to speed with its current state but it definitely deserves more love.

But to do that, they would need more resources and that probably means turning to the AoE2 market for such projects. Lords of the West was clearly testing the waters, I reckon they could do the same for the other two just to see if there’s an appetite.

1 Like

Only Age II get’s all the love and that’s sad.

Theoretically it should be easier to add new civis to aoe but i feel the code dosent support it well.

Yeah, adding new civs in AoE I is basically coming up with an idea for what their tech tree should be like and giving them two or three bonuses.

1 Like

You only need a build set ui and wonder so its way easier than adding a aoe2 civ.

Aoe2 has lots of civi concepts and some of those ideas made it to the game.maybe aoe community should try that.

1 Like

Interestingly, the Celts unique unit, the Woad Raider, is not a medieval unit but rather is more of a reference to the Ancient Britons (who were Celts), which the Ancient Romans encountered. Though there could very well have been Scottish highlanders that still carried on the Woad Raider tradition of painting themselves with paint from the blue woad plant, the “medieval Woad Raiders” would have worn kilts, not stripped long pants, which was more of a Celtic Britons clothing style than the Irish, Scots, or even the descendants of the Britons: the Welsh.

Personally, I do think that the Woad Raider ought to be visually adjusted to have a Scottish/Irish kilt rather than the leggings, just so that the unit is more “medieval-like”. But it is neat that the original Age of Kings devs back 22 years ago wanted to put in that minor Ancient Celts reference.

I believe you mean “Canute the Great”, king of Denmark and England, and leader of the North Sea Empire?

He was not Norwegian, but Danish. He inherited England after his father, King Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark, conquered England, and upon his death, his 2nd son Canute inherited England, and then would inherit Denmark after Canute’s brother Harald II died. Canute was recognized as “King of Norway” though, due to him forcing the Norwegian jarls to accept his overlordship. Canute was descended from the rulers of Poland on his mother’s side.

Canute (I) | king of England, Denmark, and Norway | Britannica

Thanks! I admittedly am not entirely well-versed in a lot of oriental and other minor kingdoms and civilizations. I will look up the Tonga Empire, starting with the link you provided. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Admittedly, I have been swayed by many of the other arguments that other AoE2 players have made about adding the Mississippian peoples as their own civ into AoE2 (as well as the one “true Northern American civ”, if we consider Aztecs and Mayans to not be “North American” but Central American).
Particularly, someone posted in the forum, some sketches a person made of Mississippian structures that would be feasible as Age of Empires 2 buildings. The Mississippian peoples did create some impressive structures in the Illinois basin, while the Finns and other African peoples were not really creating great buildings (except by borrowing from the Swedish Vikings and the Slavs, in the case of the Finns).

To be fair
even adding a Mississippian civ would be a long stretch. It might be not very likely to happen even with those sketches made by that one player (it is somewhere in the Forums, if you want to look it up).

Exactly. That could be one reason why the Mississippian civ, or many other African civs cannot be added into AoE2 as “new civs” because of the Navy issue. The Mayans and Incas at least had some evidence of a navy, since they were near oceans. The Aztecs also literally had their capital city in the middle of a lake, and they definitely fought tooth and nail with some of their own build warships against Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortez’s makeshift Spanish fleet in defense of Tenochtitlan.

Many of the proposed new African civs were landlocked. Only the Ethiopeans, and the Berbers were among the few African civs that did have real navies. (the Mailians may have too, in their nation’s river waterways, and along the Ivory Coast. I am not entirely sure if they did though)

Mississippian culture - Wikipedia

The Mississippian culture did indeed exist. They were prominent enough, that the famous river, the Mississippi river, was named after them.
The only question is: are they reasonable enough to be added into AoE2, and operate in AoE2’s mechanics, and historical medieval setting?

According to SOTL’s video on the Teutons civ overview, the reason why the Teutons have powerful siege units, is because the “Bohemians were known for building powerful siege weapons in the medieval ages” (not his exact words, just paraphrasing)

I myself am unsure if this is true, but it seems reasonable as Bohemia was fought over by the warring German nobility, and by the Poles (who are Western Slavs), and by the Hungarians (Magyars).

If SOTL’s statement is to be held true
then it might be that the original devs of Age of Kings intended the “Teutons” civ to represent both Medieval Germany, and Medieval Bohemia.

Some history scholars have associated the Byzantines as part of the “west” when comparing to the whole of Christendom (both Catholic and Orthodox Churches together) against the whole of Islam (such as the Crusades period). But it is true that the Byzantines themselves did not associate themselves as “Western Europeans” but rather as “Greeks”.

If were are to get into the nitty gritty details
 the Byzantines (i.e. Medieval Romans, descendants of the Eastern Roman Empire) were technically “European” in lieu of much of the Byzantine Empire owning European lands (southern Italy, nearly all the Balkans and Greece, and their capital city of Constantinople is situated in the European continent, albeit a stone’s throw away from Asia Minor, which is geographically considered part of Asia)

It is all up to debate however.

As I already said to Wolfstack at the top of this post, yes the Celts are more of a “Ancient period Celts” from the Woad Raider and by name “Celts”. But we must understand that the medieval Scots, Welsh, and Irish were indeed Celtic peoples, and the ones–along with the Bretons of Brittainy and the Galacians of Northwestern Spain–who had the strongest claim to being true descendants of the Ancient Celts.
My hunch, is that the Age of Kings devs only envisioned the original 13 civs as being the most representative of most medieval peoples (they did include the Conqueror 5 civs a few short years after AoK’s release), and that is why Celts glosses over Scots, Welsh, and Irish, and the Teutons glosses over all the Germanic medieval peoples (Saxons, Barvarians, Prussians, etc.), Franks glosses over the French and the Burgundians and the Frisian peoples (though now their is an actual Burgundian civ to better represent the Burgundians and the Frisians, it would appear AoK devs wanted to keep the game simple and with not that many civs)

I have seen–and played–other videogames with much MUCH worse problems than Age of Empires 2: DE currently does.

3 Likes

yea and i think denmark could be an established civ perhaps i mean it got history tho

Vikings civ already covers them.

Even if the Danes were to be granted their own civ, it would be difficult to distinguish them from the Vikings civ that already exists.

And: if you separate the Danes, why not also the Norwegians and the Swedes? Then you would be creating THREE civs out of one, and how would you be able to differentiate all of those 3 peoples, when in medieval times, they were actually quite similar culturally, socially, and militarily.

(When the Vikings invaded the British isles, all Vikings were referred to as “Danes” even though Norwegian Vikings and Danish Vikings were ethnically different from each other
but to the victim British peoples, they all sounded and behaving the same, as they were all Scandinavian cousins)

1 Like

Yea seems fair

another thing was there was an island i think close to java that was also prominent but i cant figure out who it was atM

maybe you know it

Whatever island you are thinking of
the Malay already represents them.