Game crashed to desktop

Again today, All 4 Games I’ve tried today in the last 2 hours. Games closes no errors.

Same here, crashes randomly when playing with my friends with no error message
Any fix yet ? (I’m on the Windows Store version, all my friends too)

i am on the Steam version, the hotfix brought more crash problems, and no there is no fix yet, and there wont until next year beacause the dev team have holiday right now. i hope that when update 34055 will be re-released that then it will be fixed.

by the way, are you devs or moderaters still reading this bug post? its very important, i understand if you are not, the=at you are with youre family

It is crashing for me more often now. It actually happens when I hit castle age or imperial age. And few seconds later, it crashes to desktop without any error messages.

1 Like

Same here, shortly after reaching castle age, game froze for 3 secs, then crushed to desktop with no error message.
This is my first drop after around 50 games.

Have we heard any recognition from the developers on this? I briefly scoured the steam forums as well and I’ can only find reports with no responses.
I just bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows and AOE2:DE.
Game still randomly crashes to desktop with no errors. Anywhere from 5 - 40 minutes into a game.
Every game is ruined by this even if I do not crash, another player will disconnect after stating they have no intention to disconnect.
I did not notice many crashes before the December 17 patch

1 Like

Just an update to everyone having the crash.
Upon checking my event viewer under the System logs, I was seeing the following:

“The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.”

After doing a lot of research, I tried a lot of things, including updating the Mother board BIOS, but nothing had worked so far. So I decided to monitor the numbers from my PC, and I saw that the GPU was heating too much, and only while playing AOE 2 DE, for other games, the temperature was normal.

After doing some cleaning, and changing the GPU to the other PCI-e slot, the GPU is now heating less, and thus, not crashing the game.

Hope this can help someone

1 Like

Yesterday in a 2 hours of play, my game crashed 3 times, my friend crashed twice. Something definitely wrong with the update, I haven’t experienced any crashes before. Here’s my log.
2019.12.28-20.10.40.txt (6.6 KB)

1 Like

I’ve posted my crash problem before, but I’ll post it again with an update.

COMPUTER SPECS
Model: Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz(8 CPUs), ~2.8gGHz
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit(10.0, Build 18362)
BIOS: 1.16.0
Memory: 16 GB Ram
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Video Card Driver: NVIDIA Geforce Game Ready Driver 441.66 Release Date : 12/10/2019(Latest Version)
Platform: Steam
Build: 34223

ISSUE:
Game freezes and crashes to desktop without any error message.

REPRODUCTION STEPS
-Error occurs in multiple occasions. It happens even in the game menu if I wait a bit long without getting into unranked lobby or ranked lobby.
-Error sometimes occurs when I enter the caste age in both ranked and unranked games.
-Error might occur in any time of the game. Sometimes in loading screen, sometimes 5 minutes into the game, sometimes even after 40 minutes.

ERROR LOG FROM EVENT VIEWER
Even though there is no message after the freeze and crash, I saw an error in the Event Viewer. I’m pasting it below:

Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34223.0, time stamp: 0x5dfb2884
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006db8e
Faulting process id: 0x3504
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5be2c2823bdd8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: b79eed6e-74d5-4335-98cb-3e842a9f9dd4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

EDITIONAL INFORMATION
-10 minutes ago, instead of classic freeze and crash, the game froze first and then Windows displayed blue screen with the error code : Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error . After clean restart, I googled the error and mostly it says, that it is a problem related with the video card driver. I have the latest driver as I mentioned in my pc specs, and I’ve tried the convernitonal solutions that I’ve found on the internet related with the blue screen error message. I’ve tried updating my dirver even though it’S the latest version, tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, scanned my hard disk for corrupted files, checked for windows updates, etc. I believe this problem is not solved, however I’m not sure this is related to the game or not.

• I cannot post here a video of the moment my error occured because I don’t use any screen capturing software. Also, since there is no official error message from the game, I cannot post a screen shot, however I’ve posted my Event Viewer log above on this post.
  • I’ve tried almost all of the reasonable solutions posted by @GMEvangelos in the support page related to the crashes but non of them worked.
  • As @Pedroperoz mentioned, I thought it is a heating problem related with my laptop. However, to keep my laptop as cool as possible, I am using a cooling pad under my laptop, undervolting my laptop using Throttlestop and undervolting my gpu by increasing the initial frequencies of the voltage that my gpu receives.My cpu temperature is on the higher end, around 79 Degree Celcius after 30 mins of AOE2 DE gameplay. However, this both this freeze and crash issue and also overheating issue does not happen in any other games I play( I play League of Legends with ultra high settings, Witcher 3 with moderate settings, no lag or fps problems.) My laptop model is kinda notorious with heating issues because it is a very thin and powerful laptop compared to other gaming laptops. As far as the spec go, I think it fits to the worst-of-the-best cathegory. However, a game like Age of Empires should not be a problem with my laptop at all. I believe this game has huge optimization issues.
    -My initial guess was, that there might be a memory leak issue, but I don’t have any evidence to support my claim.

Please contact me if devs or anybody else need additional information. I log in to the forum very frequently.

1 Like

Game keeps crashing for me too. Seriously buggy game whose UI feels more like 1999 than 2019 and with no proper statistics/ladder. Please fix these issues devs!!

Verified my game integrity, it fixed 2 files so I thought i’d try again today.
First game crashed to desktop, no errors, about 30 minutes into the game. :angry: :fire:
I don’t know how else anyone here can help with this if there is no error reporting to begin with.

There is no “age2_x1” folder in “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local”
There is nothing new in the event viewer.
I verified my game integrity again, no errors.
In the “Users\UserName\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” folder is:
a “Main.txt” file that is 0 KB file size apparently created at launch or last successful close.
a “SlowLog_2020.01.01-1749.45.txt” file in a “Slowlog” folder. The file only reads “SlowLog Created”
a “2019.12.25-14.10.24.txt” file created last week. I will attach this and my dxdiag…:roll_eyes:
2019.12.25-14.10.24.txt (6.9 KB)
DxDiag.txt (76.9 KB)
oh, and this is potentially interesting…
I left task manager running this time.

That spike in the gpu…
I’m guessing that is the moment it freezes, and the memory drop is the moment the game disappears.
No, that can’t be, that time span is 54 seconds in the screenshot.
When the game freezes it crashes to desktop in less than 4 seconds… bizarre, I guess I’m crashed a whole minute before I even realize it.

1 Like

Just wanted to boost this topic because this is the biggest problem I’ve experienced as well. This needs to be fixed urgently. I’m on the latest build (Hotfix 34223) and my game randomly freezes and exits straight to Desktop with no errors once every 2-3 games or so. It is so demotivating and frustrating when your game crashes every other game. Sometimes I’m just about to win and it crashes. Please fix this.

My Specs:

• Intel i7-6500U Processor
  • 12 GB of RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce 940M Discrete Graphics card

Event Viewer info about the crash:

Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34223.0, time stamp: 0x5dfb2884
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720
Faulting process id: 0x187c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c1d9be753c6c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 2e96576c-f87c-4336-ba99-8e60cd3cdcfe

Surprisingly, the Main.txt file in the log folder was empty for today.

When i launched from the exe instead of steam, it still happened. crashed to desktop no errors, only i found this in event viewer this time.

Faulting process id: 0x1e74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c1f413238af0
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 40548af9-7856-452a-a27a-c44e158b4cad

Ours are quite similar.

.Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition — Hotfix 34223 - Age of Empires

.more crashes after update :: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition General Discussions

.NEW UPDATE GAME CRASH :: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Game Bugs

Is anyone NOT having this problem?
Error might only show in event viewer if you launch the exe directly instead of from steam.

3 Likes

I add up to the huge list of players unable to PLAY this game.
I payed 20€ and wasted countless hours because of your unprofessionalism.
I will not bother posting the error log because the devs aren’t answering anyway.
Tried without UHD, same problem.
Tried increasing pagefile, no more crash, but freezes at the same frequency (sound but image stuck).
All drivers updated, w10 up to date, no firewall/antivirus etc.

This is unacceptable!

1 Like

I’ve always started from steam and i have gotten the same error. Usually in multiplayer team games and often just after advancing to the next age for some reason. Games vs the AI are fine and have not had any issues with 1v1 - I can lose those just fine 11.

E.g. Castle age would finish researching. The game would hang for 1-2 seconds and then crash to desktop.

Error message involves ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387. Windows 10 1909. UHD off.

I have version 101.101.34223.0 4509956 and on steam as well.
This happens to me too.It crashes a lot.

This is still an issue. Game crashes with no error or anything at all, just suddenly back to desktop as if I never was playing AoE2. Get on fixing this and add a reconnect option please.

Is it specific to certain MP maps, like in this case Team Islands?

Could you try updating your VC++ driver package?

Probably you’ll need this one.
https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

It is not specific to maps, it crashed on Arena, Steppe, Arabia as far as I remember. These are the maps I pick in 1v1. And crashing on all of them.