Game crashes ~60% of the time

I disabled the grid mod and it stopped crashing

1 Like

Hello friends! We will need some additional information to help you with your issues, since these crashes may all be different or caused by different things!

Before we begin: if you have not already, please try to work through the troubleshooting steps here to see if any of them address the problem:

If none of those steps work, please try to include the following information as a follow-up:

• Explain the problem. Provide as many details as possible! Where did it happen? When did it happen? What circumstances may have led to the problem?
  • Any Error Message(s) you receive.
  • Provide reproduction steps. A numbered list of steps describing how and when you encountered the issue will help us track it down in our internal environments.
  • Include an image. A good picture is worth a thousand words; a video or gif clearly highlighting the problem is even better!

In addition to these, the most helpful information you can provide are any error logs related to the crash, which should be located in one of these folders:

• C:\Users<WINDOWS USERNAME>\AppData\Local\age2_x1\logs
  • 
\Users\UserName\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs
  • In the Windows Event Viewer

Thank you!

3 Likes

Hello,

Before I get into my report here are some video clips portraying the crash

I have enclosed a link to my logs including last time I crashed 2 days ago 2020-01-05T23:00:00Z
https://gofile.io/?c=DJE5J5

Event Log showed Two warnings:

:warning: Kernal-PnP (Event ID 225)

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\audiodg.exe with process id 6172 stopped the removal or ejection for the device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0663&SUBSYS_10431477&REV_1000\4&707ddb2&0&0001.

Which i think it’s not related but fixed it anyways as follow:

1. Right-click “Speakers” icon in the taskbar and then select “Playback devices”
  2. Under “Playback” tab, right-click “Speakers”, and select “Properties”.
  3. Click on “Enhancements" tab under “Speakers Properties”. Check "Disable all enhancements” check-box.
    By the above steps, you could resolve the problem that “audiodg .exe” process hosts high CPU usage and prevent your machine from slow running and fake crash.

:warning: Display ( Event ID 4101)

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

At the same time this display warning occurs, my notification panel shows that AoE2DE_s.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware

I believe these two relate to each other because when the driver shuts down then recovers; DE is unable to access it again therefore I get a blackscreen but I could see the cursor of the game (and sometimes hear game sounds while other times can’t hear sounds)

I may have resolved and cut down this problem from happening explained in this reply:

But I still believe there is something to investigate so DE can access graphics drivers at peak times.

Another bug that needs some looking into

Reconnect Feature?

Are you guys planning on implementing a reconnect feature in case players drop or crash? It’s a win-win solution and I believe everyone was expecting it to be featured.

It doesn’t have to be a fancy reconnect feature you could make the other player wait for 60 seconds while the dropped player joins DE where he could either click reconnect or enter a restore tab.

I believe in you guys <3

1 Like

Happened to me again after the hotfix.

Khmer, Blackforest 1v1. Just upped to castle age, froze and crash to desktop.

Error 1/16/2020 1:52:04 PM Application Error 1000 (100)Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 1/16/2020 1:52:04 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-T9RGERA
Description:
Faulting application name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34397.0, time stamp: 0x5e1403cc
Faulting module name: AoE2DE_s.exe, version: 101.101.34397.0, time stamp: 0x5e1403cc
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000002d6cb6
Faulting process id: 0x7130
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5cc745c91bf55
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Report Id: c2349cf4-c30c-41b3-b813-af532be0250c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-T9RGERA

AoE2DE_s.exe
5e1403cc
AoE2DE_s.exe
5e1403cc
c000041d
00000000002d6cb6
01d5cc745c91bf55
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
c2349cf4-c30c-41b3-b813-af532be0250c

Is there anything else from the logs that would help fix it?

It would certainly help if you also could post a link to your system’s DxDiag.txt report file and a compressed file with the contents of C:\Users\<UserName>\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs folder.

Happened again. 2v2 Nomad Persians. Right after castle age.

DxDiag1.17.txt (104.5 KB) 1.17Crashlog.txt (4.5 KB)

Or did you want all the logs from the Age file?

This is enough. Thank you for adding the logs. The only thing I do notice and suspect that could be related is the fact that your laptop still uses harddisk drive instead of SSD. There is a huge difference in load times between those two. An upgrade to 1 TB SSD is not too costly anymore and well worth it for this model.

does a SSD really effect ingame performance and does it really help to prevent ingame ( not loading screen ) crashes?
im not being sarcastic, im really wondering. because i’ve always heard the only effect that SSD has on games, is the faster loading screen time, not ingame performance

It could. Since the game engine has some difficulties loading heavy textures from the disk to the game( and have some crashes happening in this troubled loading process), a faster disk such as a SSD can help indeed.

But try to defragment your HDD before buying anything.

It’s fair to ask this question. Faster loading times indeed, but also faster memory swap performance. You could also do a test with friends that only have harddisk installed too, maybe the issue doesn’t appear then. That would be very useful to know and indeed indicate that difference in timing due to different storage speed lead to the DC and crash.

I know I posted this within a separate string, but the author of this article fixed my crashing issues in DE. Lifesaver. I highly recommend trying it!

1 Like

Same this is happening to me

This has been a serious issue for me. Usually cannot play the game at all. But I have a theory that might lead to something. When I shut down my computer, leaving it to cool off 30-60 minutes, seems the crashes are less. I’m going to look for some app or other that will measure my CPU temperature, or something like that. Once the game is running, I don’t quit it. If I need to check email, etc. I have the game running in Windowed mode (rather than full screen), I make the window very large. Then I drag the window down to get other things done, and go back later, dragging the window back up.

You might like this article. 1,2 and 3 are fine and I use them now and then.

Thanks - I’ll give some of these a try. Ran AoE2DE this morning before CPU could get very hot and program loaded and ran. The evidence is piling up.

I don’t know how old your setup is, depending on CPU socket type you could check if the cooler is still tightly positioned on the CPU. If not, probably one (or two) corner plugs released from the holes in your mainboard. Clean old thermal paste with some alcohol, apply fresh paste and reinstall the dust cleaned cooler again or a new one.

This stupid game is still crashing EXACTLY the same after the update.
Benchmark gives me 1250.
Drivers up to date.
This is so frustrating

Letting my computer cool off is now not helping with the early crashes. I have a real Windows mini-computer coming in (Currently on a Mac running Win 10). So we’ll see if that helps. There has been at least three times I thought I had the solution, only to go back to early crashing over and over again.You’re right - very frustrating. Microsoft software is not usually not as unstable. Was it rushed to market knowing at least some users would be able to play?

I bought a “real” Windows computer (for $300 with the 4Gb VRAM grahics card needed). And so far it hasn’t crashed once. Not that that’s any guarantee, time will tell.

But when I have any kind of soldier selected, my R-click with the mouse produces no sword so I can’t have any battles. Ever heard of that? I assume I should reinstall the program. As Roseanna Rosannadanna used to say "If it’s not one thing, it’s another!