Game crashes ~60% of the time

I have played about four single player games since getting DE. On two of them, the game randomly crashed while I was playing. In one instance I tried opening DE and it froze before the main screen. The game runs perfectly until it crashes. Basically everything except the music stops, I can still move the mouse but it has the circular loading icon instead of the typical AOE2 cursor. It nominally sends a crash report to microsoft, but is there any info I can give you that can help diagnose this?

4 Likes

You could of course list your system specifications. Also I would recommend to check your temperatures just before the crash and maybe you can find an error message in your Windows event log below the application log section. Do you experience problems while playing other games?

I5 8300 H @2.3 GHz (laptop)
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050. (actually, will need to verify it’s using this and not the on-chip graphics)

Other games I play usually run pretty well (newest game I’ve tried playing before DE is Assassin’s Creed Origins).

Here are the logs from when it crashed

The program AoE2DE_s.exe version 101.101.32911.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2b14
Start Time: 01d59cd99bbbfb93
Termination Time: 18
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Report Id: 5d65d002-cf42-4a43-9f91-7ab71cd7e863
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

Fault bucket 1164048267921842954, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: AoE2DE_s.exe
P2: 101.101.32911.0
P3: 5dcf24ff
P4: df3d
P5: 134217728
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3428.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER35AF.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER35CE.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER362C.tmp.txt
\?\C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREDB6.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_AoE2DE_s.exe_074a9339ef1b31bdb3bd90dd371442b1b27b83_723d1a09_63719fb5-3e6a-4a1b-b10a-77063153326a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 5d65d002-cf42-4a43-9f91-7ab71cd7e863
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 9b361262dc8a7d0d002787bb76e3e30a
Cab Guid: 0

Same thing is happening here, i really doubt the problem is my computer considering i’m using 16gb ram 17 7700HQ, 1050TI 4Gb, and the game is running on a ssd.

1 Like

Specs look fine to me. Which antivirus application is running on your system?

Also check through device management for updates on your sound device, GPU and everything below system devices. Enable show hidden devices first below view. There might be driver updates available. Right click a device and choose for search driver updates online.

You both can also check the support page if there is something mentioned related to your issue here.

the same thing happens to me, it’s unpleasant all the time

Mine crashes at the start of the game, a few seconds later after you get to the menu.

Hey guys! The game is crashing because of a memory leak. Read my post on Reddit to fix that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/dy4ntw/read_this_if_ao2de_is_constantly_crashing_for_you/

2 Likes

Excellent. Please also remind people to set it back to automatic when they have fixed this bug.

2 hour multiplayer with a steam-steam connection with a friend of mine and the game crashed on us… we didn’t saved the game prior to the crash… not nice at all!

Well, now is all good. I got to play yesterday finally :slight_smile:

There were 3 updates, but none of them solved my problem with crash and game closing yet, game for me closes all the time consistently

Still crashing on Windows 10

1 Like

even with the latest updates that came out recently now? I have not tested with the latest updates, I was sad with these problems and just stopped playing the game

Any feedback from the DEV’s please?

Game started to crash in 50% games… is there any solution to fix this?
And this started today with crashing

Exact same for me. About 50% of games just crash randomly on windows 10. Didnt happen before the december patches. Why arent the devs responding to anyone reporting this?

1 Like

The game crashed a lot of the release version. Then after the hotfixes it stopped to crash.

Now after the December update the game started to crash again all the time. I play campaign.

Maybe it’s the memory leak problem again.

2 Likes

I add up to the huge list of players unable to PLAY this game.
I payed 20€ and wasted countless hours because of your unprofessionalism.

Tried without UHD, same problem.
Tried increasing pagefile, no more crash, but freezes at the same frequency (sound but image stuck).
All drivers updated, w10 up to date, no firewall/antivirus etc.

This is unacceptable.

3 Likes

Yeah I give up. I wanted to enjoy the game this weekend. I just can’t with these constant clashes. Not gonna waste more time on this game.