Game Crashes instantly when Internet connection is lost

Game Version:

• Build (101.101.34223.0)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

My computer sometimes loses the connection to the internet, as my ISP frankly is complete garbage. Anyways, whenever that happens, Aoe2 DE crashes to the desktop instantly no matter what is happening at that moment. This occurs in singlplayer, multiplayer, scenarios, replays … doesnt matter. There are not error messages. No other game or software shows this behaviour and it certainly was not the case before the december patches.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Play the game in any mode
  2. Lose connection to the internet
  3. Game crashes without notice

Neither the windows event log nor the game logs really show anything. The only thing I could find is an entry in the game logs stating that:

Exception type 3221225477 occurred at 00007ff70cf3ba36

This can be found in every log after a crash.

2 Likes

Game Version:

• Build (101.101.34223.0)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

I have an external Wifi Card “802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card”. It triggers the game to exit once i physically unplug it from my computer. The game does not crash just exits instantly.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Run AoE2 DE
  2. Unplug an external Wifi Card

my instinct tells me this could have to do with the random disconnects users are facing.

1 Like

Thanks for adding your findings. I’ve read a few other reports about users checking their network adaptor stats which clearly showed a reset of their LAN connection too (without plugging). The game does require a network connection to run for MP online of course, maybe there is a problem in some function that continuously guards or checks that part. Yet overload of NAT sessions and problems in the network stack or offloading issues could also cause connection resets depending on the quality of network hardware (switch) and internet connection (router). Also it could very well be caused by vulnerability attacks on unrestricted open ports.

Thanks for the report everyone! I’ve passed along this information to the QA team, who have an issue written up for resolution in a future build. If you manage to find any additional reproduction steps in the meanwhile, please feel free to add them here so we can add them to our tracking bug.

Thanks again! =)

1 Like

That is true. It has happened in live streams on Twitch. It just crashes when internet goes haywire for even 5 seconds.

I think exiting Multiplayer seems reasonable but the game crash seems too harsh to me.

1 Like

Just tested what happens in the new patch when the connection is lost. No crashes so far. I think it is solved! Thank you!
Edit: Correction - its not solved, same story still

I have to take back my previous statement. It still keeps happening. Please look into this!

Hi all…experiencing this problem when I’m playing campaign mode…always happens when the connection drops…very annoying if you haven’t saved during a mission…is there a fix or work around?

My game disconnects while playing multiplayer, it says something like “lost connection to the server, trying to reconnect” this happens to me every 2-3 games out of 10 games. Please help me find the solution. u can find me under the username Annabel Lee

This game is trash. After playing for 2 hours it got crashed when internet connection lost for 10 seconds. Such a wsste of time, just garbage no other alternative to get into game. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

they should implement something that allows player to reconnect back into a game, similar to that of Dota2.

even with game closing such as crashes, or computer blue screen, they could still get back in.