Game crashes when I quit a scenario testing from the editor

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.51737.0 7126076
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

• The game currently crashes to the desktop every time I quit a custom scenario after testing it in-game from the scenario editor
  • This first occurred when I used the ‘extend map’ feature to change the map from large to giant
  • As a result, every condition or effect that did not have its ‘set area’ feature already fixed would set the area to the far left-hand corner of the map, meaning sounds or unit task effects were thrown into disaray
  • After I fixed all the triggers, I tested the scenario to ensure everything was working, then when I was finished hit ‘quit current game’, which is when the game crashed for the very first time
  • Realising the instability of extending the map size, I simply loaded up a previous save before I had made this change
  • The crash issue persisted despite what scenario save I used, and despite this never being a factor before
  • I’ve also uninstalled/reinstalled the game, same issue
  • Updated the driver and same issue

Video link showing the crash play out is provided below.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

After I click quit game, it should bring me straight back to the scenario editor.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

YouTube video link showing a recording of the issue provided here (only 7 seconds long): Crash Test - YouTube

This will sound dumb given everything I went through above, but I think I may have solved the issue. It always irked me why I could quit the scenario at the beginning or middle (it’s a cutscene), but it would always crash after I quit at the end of the cutscene. The issue potentially lay with the “replace object” trigger effect, which plays out in the cutscene in a slightly earlier scene.

• I removed the ‘replace object’ effect and tested the scenario, no crash when I quit at the end of the cutscene!
  • I added the ‘replace object’ effect again, and the crash was replicated when I quit the scenario at the very end
  • I again removed the effect, and no crash… so I think we know what the culprit is. A strange bug that will hopefully still be addressed!
  • Probably what tripped me up about this bug was the fact trigger issues usually cause the crash as the trigger fires…
  • In general, the effect changed a bear to a cavalier, so wondering if the game is trying to detect a unit that isn’t there and crashes?
1 Like

@SkiddyTomato230 Thanks for the report, could you please attach the .mdmp file from the crash? this would be in “C:\Users\USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” and will have a format like this “AoE2DESteam-XXXXX-2021.06.23-09.56.40.mdmp” Just look for the one with the date and time when this happened and attach it so we can investigate it further