Game desynced by resigned player when a player places a building in the fog of war

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.45340.0 6228353
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

A resigned player who is still watching a team game play on with full vision, can cause the game to desync for everyone.
The desync happens when an ally of the player places a Castle Foundation (or any other building) over an unseen enemy building in the fog, and then right clicks the foundation. Desync occurs exactly after right clicking foundation.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. start game with an ally, vs AIs or humans , best would be 4v4
  2. best map for the test is black forest, explored version
  3. starting res should be High or higher, and starting age castle age or higher
  4. have your ally resign, and have him wait
  5. place a Castle foundation over where you think there might be enemy buildings, but which you can’t see
  6. right click on Castle foundation
  7. game desyncs instantly

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

it shouldn’t

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

here’s a couple of games that desynced after a resign

.Schuylkill_V2_4v4_Desync.aoe2record (1.7 MB)

MP Replay v101.101.45340.0 @2021.02.13 222339 (7).aoe2record (3.9 MB)

managed to cause it on BF intentionally 2 times:

MP Replay v101.101.45340.0 @2021.02.16 162857 (1).aoe2record (2.0 MB)

MP Replay v101.101.45340.0 @2021.02.16 163902 (1).aoe2record (1.9 MB)

3 Likes

lmao where do i sign up

@GMEvangelos I figured out a way how to reproduce it

1. start game with an ally, vs AIs , best would be 4v4
  2. best map for the test is black forest, explored version
  3. starting res should be High or higher, and starting age castle age or higher
  4. have your ally resign, and have him wait
  5. place a Castle foundation over where you think there might be enemy buildings, but which you can’t see
  6. right click on Castle foundation
  7. game desyncs instantly

MP Replay v101.101.45340.0 @2021.02.16 163902 (1).aoe2record (1.9 MB) (we managed to cause it in the first 2 minutes)

3 Likes

Thank you for the report! This SHOULD have been fixed in the recent hotfix, which prevents the construction of overlapping buildings:

If this is not the case, please let me know and I will get the note escalated to the team right away!

Thanks for the in-depth investigation!

2 Likes

It hasn’t been fixed for the case where a Resigned player is still spectating the game, and causes a desync.

6 Likes

I checked the replay and I can confirm it happens when a player who resigned is spectating

Yes, I can confirm this is happening. We just played a game where opposing team did this just so they do not lose. I cant believe that these things are still happening.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve re-opened our tracking task to see what else might be causing this error.

5 Likes

THIS ISNT FIXED YET, WHAT U GUYS DOING ?

1 Like

people are starting to exploit this.

this player, MoonTub, built a market in the middle of orange base, after his teammates resign, and the games goes OOS.
hes clearly knows this and exploits this, cuz he has 80+ drops in his account.

and the rg
oos.aoe2record (3.6 MB)

THIS GUY HAS TO BE BANNED

4 Likes

Yes there are people exploiting this, no doubt, that player must be banned. Also, it’s very important to notice that this can happen with ANY KIND OF BUILDINGS, not only castles, like the market on the post above. I’ve checked some of my recorded games that sadly ended up in Out of Sync and saw this happening with mining camp placement (accidental), and also, this bug can happen when placing buildings over enemy units aswell.
edit: forgot to mention that this can be induced by any player from both teams, not necessarily from the team whose a player has resigned

2 Likes

The bug is still not fixed. It is currently impossible to play a free for all games or 2v2v2v2 games, since once someone leaves, the desync happens within 5-10 minutes. And im able to replicate it still whenever i want. Whenever an enemy leaves, i can just place a market where the enemy houses are. The second the villager comes close to the market to build it and reveals the foundations, the desync happens and the game stops

It’s been a month and still can’t play FFA because of this bug, this is so frustrating, I wish devs said something…

a patch will come after hidden cup most likely

And when is that gonna be?

The bug still happening…

that is issue in ranked games that people are doing it purposely. even in non-ranked we get desync like 30% of the games we played, or even closer to 40%

edit: looks more like 50% to me

all the sync.txt zipped together. @GMEvangelos is it possible to take a look? things gotten pretty bad.

Now it’s like 80% of the games finish on desync. I can’t play anymore. This is my favorite game by far :frowning:

2 Likes

thats freaking awful.

I think best for now is to revert back and allow scan in fog again so at least we can play