Game drops fps with new graphics card (AMD RX 6600)

:frowning: That wonā€™t help - it appears on my setup already in the first game. I test with deathmatch, it starts about 5 minutes ingame time. In the benchmark it starts already from the begin to stutter.

Anyone here got an official response from the @fe_dev_team? Iā€™ve been considering to buy the RX 6600 XT GPU for some time now, so I want Age of Empires II: DE to fully support it :slightly_frowning_face:

Benchmark I think gave like between 1200-1300 points iirc. When I test it right after installing the game, everything is fine, no stutters. When I test after the stutter issues have returned in online games, the benchmark stutters like crazy but scores stay the same.

2 Likes

the stutters take some time to appear it seems.

Im done now - Iā€™m at my witā€™s end.

I found this turkish forum

>(http://technopat.net)

were they discuss the problem too. I translated it and tested their methode. I started with the first driver for the 6600 XT the version 21.8.1 (released end of quarter 2021)and tested newer ones. No changes at all.
I tested every tip or solution attempt I found online. After all the months of waiting there is no end.
I just can turn this down her. And wait that it disappear after an AoE 2 DE Update or with an new version of Radeon Software. One of them causing the problem and I still donā€™t know if its the game or the driver.

There is an other thread if someone wanna test the listed solutions.
I would add more links from the forum here but the threads got closed. So all solutions that were pointed out there are unreadable.

I wish you guys all luck. And I hope sometimes - somewhere in the future we are able to play this beautiful game again.
Now im gonna continue stand in the corner and cry.
Goodbye.

2 Likes

Just here to add my voice to this and unfortunately provide no solutions. Only thing I can say is that my game was black-screening for a few seconds here and there, and then I turned on windowed mode in the options and it just started plain lagging and stuttering.

So ladies and gentlemen - first I wanna thank GregRising alot for the help and effort he put in. We gathered some informations.

And it would be nice if someone of you guys could reproduce our stepps and test it - so we can see if the problems lies there.

You need to download DE Replay Manager - GitHub - gregstein/DE-Replays-Manager: Manage Age of Empires 2 Definitive Replays

Our target is to conform the two patches. The one without lagg and that one patch were the stutter begin.
At my system is was that the patch of 21 October 2020 runs smoothly. After that with the patch of 17 November 2020 the stutters start to appear

To make the Replay Manager run correct and able to downgrade - you need to install that here too

The Replay Managers has a downgrade function with were you able with your login data to downgrade AoE 2 DE. Ofc after that you can patch back with the steam function.

I always double check ingame - I tested if the benchmark is stuttering and if the game itself laggs. I tried with 4on4 Deathmatch mode (so its faster/more commands etc) with AI on very hard. So the AI is putting alot of effort into the game.
Ofc you can also test online but I wanted not to disturbe any more people - because I already did and dont want to destroy any more gaming expierence just because I have to test things.

So if you have some problems feel free to contact. I have already collected some expierence now. Would cool if one or two could reproduce my steps and confirm if our suspects will beconfirmed.

Thx for your time.

Since the release of radeon drivers 22.1.2 i have not experienced stutter again. I played a couple of 4v4 rankeds and it worked just fine.

Hello boy and girls - after a long time there are some points and a question I would like to add and ask.

First off all - I noticed when you freshly start the game. In the first game you play is takes some time after lagg appears (if you do benchmark first - benchmark should run without stutters). After a time stutters begin. When you start a second game without restarting AoE it laggs from the beginning. Third game the same.
Can someone confirm my observation?

Second thing is I noticed. The most heavly stuttering/laggs happen when you place farms.
Can someone confirm?

Same problem bereā€¦ I canā€™t play anymoreā€¦

I have problem also in the first gameā€¦ 2vs2 online for exampleā€¦ 3vs3 are unplayable
Yes, when placing seems the problem got sorse

I have a new PC with amd 6600

Iā€™ve pretty much gone to AOE4 since getting an RX 6600 as aoe2 is unplayable. However, I have found that if I connect a second monitor it helps. Also for whatever reason, the lag is hugely reduced when aoe2 is behind another open window. Iā€™ve been using the Radeon control panel overlay (alt r and then turn on overlay) with opacity set low. This really helps. Often the lag is pretty unnoticeable when this is open over the top and you can play normally. Although it still really hates it when I drop farms. No idea why