Game freezes after 25-30 mins in ranked games doesn’t come back

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #:
  • GAME PLATFORM: Microsoft store / Xbox
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Mac / Linux

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
The game freezes around 25 min mark in ranked games consistently, I have tried different civs and solo games and team games but freezes and never unfreezes. Very annoying and game is now unplayable. Did not do before update.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)
  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS) at 25 mins

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start ranked game
  2. Play for around 30 mins

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The game will freeeze

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

*can’t save the game cuz it doesn’t finish

Hello @xTheOConnorx
Do you have a third party antivirus installed? If so, please add the whole folder of the game to the exception list. Try also disabling mods and overlays such as Nvidia, Steam or Discord overlays.
Thanks for the report :slight_smile:

I don’t have a third party antivirus system, I play on an Xbox series x and I disabled all my mods, I’ve messed with the game a little and it doesn’t happen when against ai, it only seems to happen in ranked lobby’s and it happens 100% of the time after 25 min mark. Farthest I’ve gotten is 28 mins in a game, I’ve tried different civs and had no luck uninstalling doesn’t help and I deleted games saved data and that doesn’t help. Any advice on ways to fix? Never happened before recent update and all I play is ranked

Just played a game against a friend and he said my name changed in game after I froze n quit the game from the oconnor to vyutas the great…don’t know what’s going on but it sucks was at 24 mins into game

It happens in quick match and ranked games not in skirmish

@Felizon89 I fixed the problem! I had to return all my settings to default! Thanks!

Hello @xTheOConnorx
Could you tell me which settings you had to reset? Do you mean the options from the game?

I just ended up restoring all default settings in the options, I logged into another account I had and tried it and it worked fine and I hadn’t messed with the settings on that account so I figured I’d just undo the settings I had changed, I’m not sure what all I had changed but things I noticed were that the fog looked different and relics had a glow, also when researching a tech the tc would glow like it used to. Same with anything researched in any building.I know that I might have messed with the game brightness, I had also changed the music and after hard reset I could hear villagers a lot more. I will try and look into what settings I might have changed when I get home to try and help @Felizon89

@Felizon89 In options
Interface: only thing I might have changed was terrain grid color(if so probably made it darker)

Graphics: I probably had set presets to ultra or custom

Audio: I believe I had the music volume down to like 25%. I also would switch between soundtracks playlists and it was either on shuffle or classic.

Game: I turned building range indicator to always shown. I also turned terrain grid display to always on.

Controller: I might have made pan speed faster. I may have increased the default zoom as well.

I’ve only ever played on controller so didn’t touch mouse and keyboard settings! I’m gunna slowly change the settings 1 at a time to try n recreate the freeze! I will let ya know if it happens again and what caused it! I hope this was somewhat useful in fixing!

@Felizon89 it was the graphics on ultra or custom, didn’t do before update but definitely freezes on anything past high

Could you tell me your PC specs?