Game goes out of sync, save created, restore to "You have been defeated"

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.36906.0.4941835
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10

Issue:

Game goes out of sync, a save is created. Restore of the game takes place with the other user downloading the save. Starting the game and after the initial loading screen, a the popup window appears immediately saying “You have been defeated” despite this not being the case prior to the out of sync occuring

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. Play a multiplayer game 2 vs 2 AI on hard (or any difficulty)
  2. Game goes out of sync and forces a save.
  3. Leave the game.
  4. Restore the “MP Save - Out of Sync Save - *****” game from that save point. Other multiplayer user joins and downloads the save.
  5. Start the save game.
  6. As soon as the map appears after the loading screen, a popup window appears and says “You have been defeated”. This happens on both multiplayer users simultaneously.
  7. No choice but to leave the game.
2 Likes

Hey there @climbatize1119! If you still have the Restore Game file, would you mind uploading it to OneDrive or Google Drive and sharing the link? I would like to pass it to our Test team so they can take a look and see what might be causing the problem.

Thank you!

Hi @GMEvangelos,

Here is a google drive link with 2 saves suffering the same issues. I also have the log files if required.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HDtcWCjpJOZaawIZIB4GbwZU2xG_ynql

Thanks for looking into this!

1 Like

Hi @GMEvangelos . I’m new to the forum as I’ve never faced an issue with AoeII DE before. I encountered this same exact issue as @climbatize1119 yesterday. Have you found a solution to it?

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.36906.0.4941835
  • Gamertag: GABYGVM.87

Issue:

If there is an out of Sync, and we are taken out of the game (in a multiplayer game), a restore point is created. When we try to restore it (with same players), the file restores it correct, BUT when other players are downloading the file, the civilizations are changed mostly to Britons (always someone is assigned Britons) and right away when the game loads, it finishes with the message “You have been defeated”.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. It has happened several times, but last time it was 2 players vs an AI level hard.
  2. Game goes out of sync (why?) and a file is saved.
  3. We are forced to get out of the current game main menu.
  4. Go to Multiplayer
  5. Click on Restore.
  6. In the list there is our saved games, and you can see the out of sync I was talking about (and also a previous one of 7 players).
    7.Click load game
  7. The lobby opens:
  8. Now, I can’t replicate as the other player is not online, BUT if this player was, AND downloads the saved file, the civilization changes to britons and there is no way to change it.
  9. Also sometimes the team number assigned is changed to “?”
  10. Nothing to do to fix that so we all select “I’m Ready”.
  11. Click on “Start the Game”
  12. The loading with all players and civilization shows up (still britons) and when the map is to load, we get the “You have been defeated” over a black screen.

ATTACHMENTS:

I Have the saved files… of the games, but I can’t attached them because of the extension.
I am a new user and I can’t attach more than one image so, sorry I can’t attach more.

1 Like

One thing I found is, when you restore a saved game, you have to restore from the save file created on the computer of the player who disconnected (I think every computer should have a save file, but each one is slightly different, based on when their local game chose to save). Everyone else’s save file may (or will) have had the disconnected player already resigned and defeated, but the player who disconnected will have a save file with everyone alive.

1 Like

While I agree with your logic, we tried in both times I mentioned before, to restore it from the player who disconnected, and from someone’s. In all cases the behaviour was the same :frowning:

My wife & I just purchased this game and we had the same problem twice yesterday:

1. Start game with us 2 vs 4 AI opponents
  2. After about an hour, I (the host) got a message that I had been disconnected (from my own game?) and it had been saved for restoring.
  3. When restoring, my wife’s civ switched to “Britons” when she connected.
  4. Once the game loaded, it showed, “You have been defeated.” We could then look around the map but not play.

We started a new game and the same thing happened after another hour of play. :frowning:

Is there any solution for this? Even an autosave would be handy. At the moment I am trying to remember to “Save Game” every 10 minutes or so.

Wow this is really ridiculous. We tried again today and couldn’t finish a single game despite trying four or five times.

Each time we got the desync message, then restoring the saved game brought up the “defeated” message.

Even when I was manually saving every five minutes, after a certain point the game kept desyncing again within a few minutes of restarting.

About 75% of the games we’ve played since buying this have been like this.

2 Likes

im surprised so many people could actually get the restore + countdown to finish and load up the game to an extent. a lot of other bugs get stuck even before that, countdown cancel, or game save file not match, or just countdown to 0 and nothing.

Also having this exact same issue. Nearly 1/3 or even 1/2 games ends in a out of sync error, player disconnected. Restored game is broken, always loads into “you have been defeated”. I have PLENTY of autosaves I can upload. Please fix this issue! It ruins the experience completely.

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.37906.0.5105673

Same out of sync issue here. One out of four can be restored successfully.

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.37906.0.5105673

You’re lucky you got 1/4 to restore. I’ve had 0% able to restore properly.

I really hope this is high on the list of things they are working on.

1 Like

Still getting constant disconnects. Really a quality of life problem for the game.

Is there any way I can upload all of these save-games for you? Or can you acknowledge you are tracking this problem?

Problem is being tracked and looks to have a fix in the works. I imagine that you can watch for it in the next major update, so keep an eye out for that update note when that drops and feel free to @ me if it continues to be a thing after that point!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply, glad to know its known and being worked on.

thank you for replying instead of staying silent. otherwise we would not know if its looked into at all.

@GMEvangelos sorry to add another one, if possible track this as it may be similar but also a different issue.

the restore here seems to have error after game is loading up. when we try to restore a multiplayer auto save from desync/crash, game will always fail to restore saying one of the player does not have the right “data set” as host, even though they are the same.

please also look into this as well, thank you!

I would like to reopen this issue as the “out of sync” part of the issue pops up (again?) when I play online with a friend. So steps 1-7 of the post I reply to occur. Please find more info below.

Game Version:

• Build: 101.101.43210.0

Issue:

When playing multiplayer (2vs2 AI), after a while (~8 minutes) an out of sync error message appears. We are taken out of the game (in a multiplayer game), a restore point is created. When we try to restore it (with same players), the file restores it correct, BUT when other players are downloading the file, the civilizations are changed mostly to Britons (always someone is assigned Britons).

Log files:

This is just one set of the many log files. I can produce more info if required.

Sorry to revive an old thread but me and my friend played against the AI today. Two games, two desyncs, roughly 20-25 mins in the game. Same message. We are both playing on Steam on Windows 10.

Funnily enough, playing Co-Op missions is just fine and that’s supposed to be the beta feature… >.>