Game Play Speed and Human-Machine Intereaction

Something that I would really like to see in the game is a fast pace game play such as in AoE III. If we compare AoE, AoE II and AoE III we can easily recognize that it takes a lot less time to finish a scenario/campaign/solo game in the latter game while in AoE II it takes really long to do so (which can make it a little tiring). What kind of game play will we see on AoE DE? I hope the pace is similar to AoE III.

hmm… i didn`t hope, i dont love it when all game finish after 20min, i hope it is like 1997.
1-2 hours is ok and a little more too

Interesting, I heard that as well from other people, I guess I am an odd one when it comes to that. Anyway, AoE DE will be a great game to have and bring back many awesome memories!

@HaiCinderella said:
hmm… i didn`t hope, i dont love it when all game finish after 20min, i hope it is like 1997.

But its necessary for a competitive game. 2 hours its ok for the fun with your friends but not for hight level in general.

@WindingSpore23 said:
Something that I would really like to see in the game is a fast pace game play such as in AoE III. I

I think that is really dependent on game play/ tactics / rules / scenarios / etc.

For example, on a random map setting, 2v2, no rules, at 2.0 speed, the match can be played anywhere from 8 minutes to 2 hours. If you decide to tool rush and you succeed then its over within 15 minutes. If it fails, it’s still over soon because the enemy is sure to dominate you in the bronze age.

Now on the other hand, a 3v3 or 4v4, no rules, at lets say 1.5 speed, the match can be drawn out. There’s much more room for things to play out, more people reach the bronze/iron age, and you can have a 1-2 hours match.

But overall, the game is going to be fast paced whether it lasts 10 minutes or 2 hours. If you start to slow down, the match will end. In the end, the winner is going to be who can micro manage the fastest and longest without slowing down.

I think anywhere between 20mins and 2hours should be o.k. I understand that for online-rankings sake, you want fast games. But I think that an early game rush will be around the same time as AoE II, hoping that your opponent doesn’t wait it out until the end.
Mid/Late game goes faster I think. Given that AoE I doesn’t depends on ‘trash units’ and doesn’t have ‘free gold generator trading’ which can make the game tedious and long lasting. Instead depending of your civ (i.e. if you can build chariots or not :stuck_out_tongue: ) it is in your favor to act quick.

@Amphiprion6 said:

@HaiCinderella said:

But its necessary for a competitive game. 2 hours its ok for the fun with your friends but not for hight level in general.

I like it when gane go 2 hours yes, but when i play multiplayer its to okey when its go 30min, i love rushing.

I dosent want that aoe1 artificial more speed have

I always liked longer, boom-y games more myself. Plenty of time to relax and manage your economy, and then switch to a warfare focus - 1-2 hours is good for me, I dislike how fast AoE3 goes.

@RWNorthPole said:
I dislike how fast AoE3 goes.

Is not so fast comparatively to sc2 (the most competitive rts).

I think is easy to make fast game and slow game, just depend of size map. Small map for competitive and large map for non competitve player. If we want (maybe we don’t) some compet with price pool, we need fast game (with fast interaction between players).