Game prefrence: A Competitive OR Ensemble inspired RTS

Why not just have already created maps specifically for competitive play? Example: Arabia RMS vs Arabia Competitive. One of them uses a randomly generated script whereas the other is a mirrored map for competitive play?

@TheChickenWrap said:
Why not just have already created maps specifically for competitive play? Example: Arabia RMS vs Arabia Competitive. One of them uses a randomly generated script whereas the other is a mirrored map for competitive play?

Map making is a tough job. I used to make counter strike maps for community. Lot of them failed. So if you know modding, you can make competitive maps for AOE IV like the one you have mentioned. As I stated ealier, AOE players do lot of tweaks before jumping into tourney type play just because AOE 2 was aimed for a friendly matches. But, maps that makes sense is more welcoming for me, than a map clearly designed for moba/competitive play.

Can be both but without including any unnecessary stuff like moba objective style, microtransactions, arcade (for this one, there is the modding section). But of course there should be a casual mode (or unrated MP) and competetive mode (rated MP).

I agree that it can definitely be both but it needs to feel like it belongs in the Age of Empires series, especially with it being a true numerical installment. If they wanted to focus on specifically going competitive they could always create a separate “e-sports” set of game modes. If I’m not mistaken Blizzard removed certain units from online play that were in the single player campaign. I don’t see why the same couldn’t be done here but instead offer one set of game modes with everything the game has to offer, allowing us to modify it as we’ve always been able to do, and another set of game modes specifically designed for competitive play and “e-sport” balancing.

The AoE series has never been proposed for an E-Sport. However, I do not think it would be any harm if it became. As already written by someone else, possibly there should be an E-Sport mode, there might be options to enable / disable options. That said, do not you tell me that you’ve never seen sponsoring tournaments in dedicated forums for AoE 2/3 ?? I found that they also rewarded with money in the first places.
Anyway if that happens, it would surely increase the number of players that approve the game!
But that’s not the classic E-Sport game! it has to be thought for fans who for years want a 4 chapter as it should be! and not just transformed into E-sports for economic interests !!

We want an AoE 4 having cubic balls !!!

do not read me … sorry, I was wrong to post. canceled message.

Ensemble inspired RTS

@MarceloMoura10 said:
Age IV could be the Ensemble game we are used to, and Age V a competive one (As was done with Total War Arena).

Are you sure you want AOE 5 to be competitive type? Cough AOE Online.

If the game can stand on its own away from multiplayer or competitive play, then I don’t see anything wrong with also making it a great online experience.

But we don’t need another Starcraft clone. The RTS genre is pretty stale right now.

@TestableWharf54 said:
If the game can stand on its own away from multiplayer or competitive play, then I don’t see anything wrong with also making it a great online experience.

But we don’t need another Starcraft clone. The RTS genre is pretty stale right now.

Well put friend :slight_smile:

Why just not both? Isn’t AoC competitive, in the end, on an e-sports scale? AoE3 can be, too, with proper support (tech & balance, which is achieved already by the fan-made ESOC Patch, but it’s still a lot missing – ES/Microsoft’s fault).

@pecelot said:
Why just not both? Isn’t AoC competitive, in the end, on an e-sports scale? AoE3 can be, too, with proper support (tech & balance, which is achieved already by the fan-made ESOC Patch, but it’s still a lot missing – ES/Microsoft’s fault).

If they pull up both then I have no problem. I just can’t put my hand on my heart and say “Hey is there any company today which can make a proper single player and multiplayer game in a rts genre?” Ask that question to yourself, and then think my friend.

Well, sure, companies’ prestige and common stereotypes play some role, but so far we haven’t seen too much, therefore I’d simply restrain from making any premature judgements. In the end, it doesn’t take too much to offer the community reasonable tech and balance support – I’m sure Relic will be capable of such undertakings, especially that they have started already.

Age of empires has never been about appealing to a competitive scene.

Its always been about building an interesting world and giving players the potential to explore that world from the perspective of an RTS game.

AoE to me has always been as is if someone asked the question “What if Civ was an RTS game” and then set out to create that.

Make an epic game, a game to stand the test of time. A game that models history but makes it its own. A game grounded in the real world, but presents alternative possibilities.

AoE has always been many things to many players. At the same time, it can be hyper competitive for some and a more casual fun time for history fans. AoE4 has to do both.

@“Andy P” said:
AoE has always been many things to many players. At the same time, it can be hyper competitive for some and a more casual fun time for history fans. AoE4 has to do both.

Yes, BOTH. That’s what I am trying to preach. But there are some folks who want it to be a popcorn entertainment in twitch. They think competitive is its own genre. Again, if next AOE steers away from its core formula, then it will not be good.

It needs to be twitch friendly.

@“Andy P” said:
It needs to be twitch friendly.

What do you mean? Ease of streaming wise like twitch integration?

We need a Starcraft alike thing. We need a game where skill matters in the game.
We dont need a game where anyone with half a brain who is good at playing OP civs even tho he has no clue how to play the game can win Tourneys.
The mechanical skill to play the game should never be reachable by humans, so really good mechanical players can gain advantage over the slow ones. Its a strategy game, you’ll need to decide what you wanna do if you are bad/slow, and as you improve you can start doing more things at once.