Germans should be separated into Austrians and Prussians

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

“Cultures not kingdoms”

3 Likes

Why, just why would you want that?

2 Likes

This is a bad idea since Germans already represent both of them and separating them would kinda mean deleting the entire civ.

4 Likes

I may have unknowingly used inappropriate words to explain what I meant. I was loosely referring to how virtually all AOE civs broadly represent an ethnic group of people irrespective of state borders and political leadership. Primarily the boundaries of the ethnic groups represented in-game are defined by language. I was not in anyway endorsing any sort of political ideology towards modern day nation states and current geopolitcal affairs. I was merely discussing the factual existence of a playable game civilization based on all German-speaking peoples of Europe + the Czechs, in the historical context of the early modern period.

Edit: And both the Teutons of AOE2 and the Germans of AOE3 depict a Pan-German nation available for your personal command in online battles.

3 Likes

Ok, im glad it was just mistake and not what you really belief :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They should have had Austria and Prussia seperated from the start. As is we can’t really divide an excisting civ without destroying a perfectly fine and functioning civ. That said, the 3 Prussians elements don’t really affect gameplay and can be easily replaced, renamed and/or reused in a Prussian civ. Leaving us with a HRE/Austrian civ and Prussians. I don’t see it happening though but you never know.

The separation of the current faction would be something interesting, but the Holy Empire lasted almost a thousand years and occupied almost the entirety of the game’s timeline (the Modern Age and the beginning of the Contemporary Age).
I think they should use that historical research that they did for Native Americans as well for some Europeans, including promoting if necessary a bonus rotation.
But returning to the Germanic topic, I think the ideal would be to take this German civ and make it more imperial and less Prussian, oh and of course change the name of its Royal Guard, because the Dreyse rifles came after the end of the Napoleonic wars, which is when in theory the game’s timeline ends.
It makes no sense for a unit to be “armed” with a modern rifle to fight alongside Reformation-period doppelsoldners and 14th-century Hussite war cars.
Please, if it’s not too much to ask, give the Germans a chance to train musketeers, even if it’s necessary to nerf the Doppelsoldner.

1 Like

I think the current German civ should be renamed the Holy Roman Empire - with the United States civ it wouldn’t look too tinkering anymore.

Then two civs could be added: Austro-Hungary and Prussians - the two most powerful German Empires, which differed significantly from other German states. It is safe to say that both have developed separate cultures.Both of these civs could add content that the present-day German civ (which is undoubtedly based on the 15th-16th century HRE) has not offered us. Austro-Hungary civ and Prusai civ would give us many new UU, UT and could offer us new Historical Battles. Certainly, these are one of the most attractive offers as civs for AoE 3, and additionally one of the most important at that time.

I disagree. I like the Germans being together and it fits the typical AOE practice of grouping civs by ethnic groups. Austrians, Prussians and Bavarians were all Germans.

3 Likes

United States is ethnic group?

1 Like

Too late to change that. I wish they were separated from the start, but it’s impossible to separate them now 15y after release.

To pull that off it would require a lot of redesigns and the death of one of the most used civs in the game. It’s just not viable.

3 Likes

That one of the reason why they shouldnt be added as a civ. Civs arent Spain, France or Netherlands; they are Spanish, French and Dutch.

3 Likes

It doesn’t make any sense.

Just leave Germans as they are, it shouldn’t be a priority since we’re missing some important north african, middle eastern and southeast asian civs.

Germans are a fine umbrella civ (HRE including Austria as well) and the game doesn’t need more euro civs atm.

4 Likes

I would say, thats a good idea. Prussia and Austria would be very nice.

2 Likes

honestly i think they called them “united states” as to not confuse a game set in the Americas with a faction.

the game ends about 1870, give or take a few years (if you want a specific date then original campaign is to around 1830-50, warchiefs to 1876 and TAD to 1850s).

its not so much that doppel would be nerfed, its more that it would remove the way the faction plays atm with adding musketeers.

historically all european factions should have some sort of musk, but the dutch and germans dont because the devs wanted to encourage different playstyles.

3 Likes

Yes, I understand the idea was to make civs with different styles of play, but going over history I don’t think is the most appropriate thing to do.
About the game timeline I don’t remember where I once read it was 1500 - 1815, but well that I read in Vanilla’s time.
I feel that Germans and Spaniards are kind of stuck to some strategies, and look that the Spaniards have a complete roster of units, 5 different infantry, 3 different cavalry, but their metropolis cards don’t give them any useful bonuses for the lengthy game. , where pikes and rods are hardly used.
Since the Germans only have one metropolis card to improve their skirms, it almost becomes more viable to make a mercenary strategy than to use regular units.

1 Like

@Jonasnee8581

I think Prussians civ would fit great with Danes civ in one shared DLC. Italians civ is best if it appeared in a joint DLC with Moroccans civ (Mediterranean DLC) and Austro-Hungary civ would come with Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth civ.

This is what DLCs containing European civs could look like - of course I would like to see other DLCs, e.g. more African, Asian and American (and unfortunate revolutionary civs), but this is for a different topic.