Germany, history, Austria and Prussia

I once said that it can be solved by making changes to the Wing hussar card.

And allowing Germans to train musketeers could make their 2age seriously powerful.

The military is quite an important factor in a war game though.
When talking about other features though, Prussia’s lands were poor in natural resources but under the rule of Frederick the great 60,000 hectares of new farmland were created by draining great swamps. He introduced new vegetables in potatoes and turnips for which he is still remembered today. Visitors still leave potatoes on his grave. He opposed animal cruelty and founded the first vetenarian school in Germany, options for livestock focussed and/or farm eco play right there.

They combine different nations in one faction as well?

I strive for historical accuracy in presentation, if properly done gameplay need not suffer.

True, i would much rather get Death’s Head Hussars, than Winged Hussars as Germans, specially when we do not even have a proper Winged Hussar model in the game.

Then again, I also wish they would do away with Uhlans, since they are not German, and I think we should get a Polish civ.

They could even keep the stats, but get another model and the more generically german Reitter name.

Cannot be done. we have seen games that tried, all failed.
Historical games that survive and get played for decades, all have inaccuracies for gameplay purposes.

Yes, and even fictitional units too, for gameplay reasons.

1 Like

They are not another formation. They are tied to the German culture.

you described it as a characteristic of Prussia, but I have no idea how to explain it in-game.

1 Like

I was talking about a seperate Prussians civ, not adding more unist to the Germans civ.

It could be done, but is not needed.

And yet, if the Prussians elements in the current German faction get renamed/remodeled. I’d no longer have problems with the faction in its representation. There are only 4, and 2 of them need just a rename.

How horrid :stuck_out_tongue:

They share parts of the same culture, and are in different nations.

Thats for the developers to decide in the end. Cheaper farms, farm wagons, livestock shipments. How about houses that function as livestock pens as well? They seem to love giving extra functions to houses XD. There are many options, I’m sure you could think of some as well.

It is Age of Empires, not Age of Nations.
Cossacks and Paradox games are more the franchise for you, than this one is.

I don’t want to talk any more about your opinion that Prussia is not German. This is a waste of time for both me and you.

It’s terrible to add various features to house. I hate Torp as well as Cancha. They learned nothing from Shirne. No, they would have tried not to learn.

I object to seeing that adding weird features to your house is ingenious. That would seriously undermine the multi-balance.

It was a joke mate, those houses are terribly balanced.

Your words prove that you are definitely someone who doesn’t care about multiplayer at all for solo content.

1 Like

Prussia

Units

Barracks

Crossbow
Skirmisher
SchĂŒtze (Musketeer)

Stable

Uhlan
Dragoon
Teutonic Knight (Counter Cavalry unit)

Artillery Foundry

Grenadier
All the normal Artillery

Royal Guard:

Grenadier (Langer Karl)
SchĂŒtze (Needle Gunner)

Unique Units:

SchĂŒtze:
Does increase rate of fire with every upgrade instead of getting more Damage.
Base 3.0 → Veteran 2.5 → Guard 2.0
Most expensive (75 food and 50 coin) and strongest Musketeer in range. Weaker in melee.

Teutonic Knight:
Archaic cavalry unit, no Guard upgrade.
Expansive Heavy Cavalry with high hitpoint and melee resistance with attack bonus against other Heavy Cavalry. Not as good against artillery and Skirmishers as Uhlan and Hussar. Makes up for bad melee of SchĂŒtze.
Worse base stats than a Cuirassier (lower attack speed and no AoE) that costs about the same but modifier against Heavy Cavalry makes up for that.

Home City Cards:

Huguenots (Coureur des Bois) instead of Settlers from the Home City.

Card to change the resistance of SchĂŒtze to ranged.

Generally more good cards to buff units than to buff economy.

Church Card:

Prussian Discipline:
-20% speed but +20% attack and +1 range for SchĂŒtze and Grenadier.

Totenkompf Hussars:
Ships n Hussars with Guard Status

Hessian JĂ€gers:
Ships n JĂ€gers (does not cost coin)

Special features:

Free Military Wagon on every age up.

Settlers can be turned into SchĂŒtze for 50 coin (takes like 10 seconds or they have to go to a Barracks/Town Centre)

3 Likes

I encourage you to cast your vote.

The Austrians and Prussians both are and were part of the HRE.

The HRE is now pretty well represented imo. Also the bigger share in Prussian/Brandenburger influence makes sense seeing they were the few HRE stares who colonized or did anything with it. A HRE state on its own doesnt work in the smallest for a colonial based game.

As a german Age of Empires 3 DE Palyer an big Fan, i support your idea. Germany should be devided in Prussia and HRR oder, what i would more prever in Prussia, Austria (Habsburg) and Hesse and Bavarian, so you have two nations to represent the big HRR. Hesse with very good meceneries and Bavaria with good food rate (cause of the beer) and strong knights.

2 Likes

Some nice ideas there, if we rename the Prussian aspects in the current Germany they could slide this right in.

Well, I based my ideas on the idea that the DE would move a little bit more away from the colonial style. If we look at Europe in the time period we can see that Prussia is very much its own thing apart from the rest of the HRE. Austrians and Prussians where very different empires that often opposed each other, if we consider this it makes sense to not have them be represented in the same faction.

Thank you! I don’t think we can expect Hesse and Bavaria as another 2 seperate nations, they could do fine as German “natives” in European styled maps though.

1 Like

needle guns are definitely skirmishers and not musketeers, wouldn’t make sense as a guard upgrade to musketeers.

1 Like

Needle gunners were not Skirmishers.
They invention of breach loading rifles slowly made Line Infantry tactics obsolete (Some generals still tired it in WW1 with horrible results).
The needle guns where given to all normal frontline troops and not to Skirmishers. They made the traditional skirmisher obsolete because breach loading rifles (or Minie Ball rifles before that) combined the faster reloading time of Muskets with the precision of the rifles guns that skirmishers used.
They revolutionized warfare. It’s hard to fit them into a game like AoE3 because historically that was at that point the biggest improvement in military ever.

Uhlan-civ. (Germany) needs to be divided to better represent the peoples in question.
Czapka Uhlan is the main unit of civilization but is Polish

1 Like

no they didn’t that is a myth.

generally speaking Germany operated their infantry in smaller groups than the french allowing for much more flexibility, this is the main reason that germany won the franco-prussian war (despite actually being technologically behind). this is closer in comparison to how a skirmisher fight as oppose to the french battle order which was bigger more central groups.

The rifles were behind but the Artillery was better. But yes they likely won because of superior tactics.
I can’t confirm if any of the sides still tried to use Line Infantry tactics in WW1 but at least in a lot on other conflicts after the invention of the Minie Ball like the Crimean War or the US Civil War.

My point is that including technologies like beach loading rifles or smokeless powder (that is for some reason a Jesuit Technology) doesn’t really fit a game that still uses melee Infantry in Imperial Age.