Give Camel Scout to Saracen and Berber

I play saracen a lot and it never occurred to me that they should have camel scouts until you pointed it out. Yea it makes sense, do it!

1 Like

This is true Vs cav civs only really? Anything else and you want scouts over camels donā€™t you? (Eg gurj donā€™t go cam scouts too often)

Thereā€™s a fair amount of fiddling we could do to get the cam scout to fit into Berbers.

I think balancewise theyā€™re on the strong side, but what might need tweaking is their 3 stable all in. Itā€™s stupid easy to do and win with, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s stupid strong. Just too easy to do.

So for example something like this: stable discount from 15/20 to 5/10/20

Gain camel scout.

Yes they overlap with magyars a little more in feudal, but they have the camel scout, so technically still not a full overlap.

(And if this was a perfect world /jk) make genitour regional, and give Berbers a different TB, that helps them in feudal or castle age, to make up for the 5% loss on knights (even though the other stable units suffer, the knights make the bigger impact)

Eg: TB: camels +2LOS(its super weak, Iā€™m just putting the first thing that came to mind) or heck, a TB for genitours :joy: as in genitours are regional, but Berbers give genitours +1 dmg

So it only functions as a team bonus at all if playing with (presumably) Spanish or Portugese teammates, who decide to go for a pretty niche unit?

Sure, you can overhaul Berbers in major ways. But is this really the civ you would start with? Break something thatā€™s good on purpose to see if you can put it back together differently and a bit better? I may be a little conservative in this regard, but all else being equal I would prefer to keep playing regular Berbers for a while and see big changes to maybe Dravidians or Burmese or something.

Exactly. Because berbers already have an amazing TB through their UT.

And would likely only be useful in 2v2 at that, due to trash viability, so itā€™s effectively more a civ bonus.

Ah yeah for sure . This was more a thought experiment. Of trying to fit camel scouts in.

And a thought experiment for making genitours regional so we see them used more, as they have so much overlap in berbers already.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think Berbers need it, and think it could be strong in Saracens case if you go full feudal with market abuse.

But I think Turks could be a good civ to give it to it. The lack of pikeman let you in a very bad spot if you donā€™t make a flawless feudal age. Maybe, if you could start mass camels early you could have a better chance to survive if you have a slip in feudal.