Give Hindustanis Central Asian architecture

I made a thread last year talking about giving them the Middle Eastern architecture. I actually forgot about that. I want to revive that discussion again, but instead with the Central Asian architecture.

I think it makes a lot of sense to give the Hindustanis the Central Asian architecture, since they seem to be based on Muslim invaders of India like the Delhi Sultanate and the Mughal Empire. The Hindustani campaign is even centered around the founder of the Mughal Empire, so it’s odd that they don’t have a fitting architecture set.

Their unique unit is Muslim, their Castle is Muslim, their Wonder is Muslim, their unique building is Muslim, their campaign is Muslim…what else do they need to gain Muslim architecture?

Plus, giving the Hindustanis Central Asian architecture would make their campaign much more immersive, as they wouldn’t have out-of-place Hindu buildings amongst a Muslim base.

1 Like

Be based somewhere where that is the architectural style?

If anyone needs this architecture, it’s Persians.

9 Likes

It’s not always about geography, but style. The Muslim invaders of India introduced a style that would very clearly be represented by Central Asian architecture. There are a few civs that have architecture styles that don’t match up with their geographical location, but have them because they’re historically appropriate.

Did they? All I have seen of buildings in northern India look closer to the South Asian style.

The domes of buildings like the Taj Mahal and Humayun’s Tomb, the Hindustani wonder, are very characteristic of Mughal, and hence Muslim, architecture. Since the Mughal empire ended up extending all the way to south India there is probably some similar architecture down there as well. Would agree with Apocalypso4826 that central Asian would be more appropriate.

The Mughals are one thing but they only were established by Babur in the 16th century. What about the architecture of the Delhi Sultanate, if Timur left some of it standing ?

Well, you have stuff like this

and this

and finally this.

So yes, the Delhi Sultanate definitely did have Muslim architecture.

3 Likes

Fair enough, give the Central Asian architecture (calling it “muslim architecture” is confusing as the Middle Eastern architecture is also muslim) to both the Persians and the Hindustani. The Cumans however should stop using it.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

I am not sure what you propose the Cumans use instead.

Ideally they should share a new Steppe architecture with the Mongols (who still use a very japanese looking East Asian set…). Until then it would make more sense to give them the Eastern European style.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I’m not sure I like this idea. I think a Steppe architecture would be very contrived and fantastical, unless the majority of it is yurts and stuff.

The Mongol wonder is a giant luxury yurt. It could still keep the usual layout for buildings, with increasingly fancy fabrics and materials used at each age up.

Fortifications could base themselves on the Cuman wonder, at east for the lower levels.

Thinking about it, also give the Steppe style to the Huns.

2 Likes

Interesting concept. Maybe the Feudal architecture can use the thatched roofs and the Castle architecture can use the fabric roofs. I guess the Imperial architecture would include gold or something. Not sure. Anyway, it’s an interesting concept, and the Huns should certainly use the architecture as well.

But that was a [REDACTED] fortress that was just taken over by the Cumans. I guess there’s really no choice though.

Actually, if we added a Steppe set and made the Persians and Hindustanis Central Asian, that would mean that the Steppe set would have three, the Central Asian would have three, and the Central European would have three, evening out the sets a lot more. The East Asian one would also have only four, which is the maximum number before sets start to get crowded.

3 Likes

Thatch roofs imply relying heavily on wheat farming, I see them use a crude assemblage of furs in feudal.

Indeed, the Sarkel fortress.

But since there wasn’t a lot of fortifications between Kiev, Persia and the Great Wall…

Now all we need is splitting the Eastern European style with a style for, say, Poles Bohemians and Magyars.

Yes, but the Yurt designs that are already in-game can simply be reused for houses. Conveniently, there are three small thatch ones and three small cloth ones. It makes sense to reuse them to save time and work. The thatch and cloth textures can be reused on the roofs of other buildings to make them easier there too.

We could cut down on the Eastern European civs by introducing a new Balkan set and giving it to the Bulgarians, along with the Byzantines. The Bohemians can also be given the Central European set, as no civs have gotten the set since the Huns.

1 Like

Good idea. Would also remove the Byzantines from the Mediterranean style, that’s also a bit crowded (Spanish Portuguese Italians Sicilians Byzantines and probably the Romans)

Makes sense as they were a core region of the HRE, some historians think it’s an anomaly why the Czechs don’t speak german.

1 Like

Thanks. I originally gave them a new Caucasus architecture set, but that would’ve crowded that set too, with five civs. Someone elsewhere on the forums suggested a new Balkan set, and I obliged. I can also give it to potential Croatians and Serbs civs as well.

That is exactly the idea. Plus, the Mediterranean architecture doesn’t really fit the Byzantines, as they were Orthodox, not Catholic.

1 Like

A new nomadic architecture shared by Mongols and Huns. Potentially 2 new nomadic architecture and add add Magyars.

Majestous tumbs, mosques and palaces were designed in muslim persian style, yes. But the vast majority of buildings like houses, military buildings, hindu temples, stayed on their traditional styles, recieving some islamic influence here and there. Turco-Persians muslims were just an elite ruling over a overwhelming majority indo-aryan civilization.

A Hindustani city would have look much closer to a Gurjara city than a persian one

3 Likes

Bingo. New rulers does not mean the whole city is torn down and built again from scratch.