Giving Steppe Lancers a niche

My suggestions for more variety of Steppe Lancers:

• gain an attack bonus of +4/+6 against villagers and trade units
  • +10 HP
  • cost 65 Food and 40 Gold (was 70 Food and 45 Gold before)
  • Persians, Huns, Magyars and Turks have access to Steppe Lancers

Maybe the unit itself isn’t figured out yet by the majority of players. So, access to more civs leadss to more games with SL, which leads to more experience. However it seems correct that they need a role. All SL civs are good Cav Archers civs, so they need to differ from them. The role could be a raiding unit that is harder to defend as Skirmishers counter Cav Archers more than Pikes counter Steppe Lancers.

1 Like

Give Steppe Lancer to Japanese thank you, that’s all.

If we look at the description in the tech tree, knights are strong vs archers and steppe lancers are weak against them, so archer counter is not their place in the game.

It’s supposed to be a unit “strong in groups” and in order to mass a good amount of them less training time and cost is the key. I think 65 food and 40 gold and 20 seconds training time would be a good start.

Other Problems:
1 - Does not specify any weakness against pikeman but still receives the same bonus damage than a knight. I would reduce bonus damage from pikeman a bit, the same way elephants i.e. receive more bonus damage from pikeman.
2 - Doesn’t say anything about monks but it’s converted almost the same way and without any bonus damage as the light cavalry.
Since according to the tech tree it’s a “Light cavalry unit”, then monks should have difficulties converting the unit.

3 Likes

These are some quality suggestions tbh, which is rare when I comes to steppe lancer re-balance ideas.

The one thing is that I’m not sure of the intuitive-ness of them recieving less bonus damage against spears then knights do, I think they already have some advantage in that they have the extra range, so i don’t know that I’d make a change there. Regarding monks, TT, and cost I fully agree.

1 Like

Regarding monks, your other proposal solves this:

Spammable units are a pain to convert. Yes, you can convert one steppe lancer as easily as a knight. But it doesn’t sound as rewarding when there are 8 steppe lancers instead of 5 knights.

1 Like

Maybe you’re right but imo 22 bonus damage to a unit with 60hp (80 with bloodlines) seems a bit to many and the range won’t help that much since hit & run is not a good idea so you are taking those 22 damage anyway =(

you’re right, if you can spam, then monks shouldn’t be a problem.

Fair, I’d be willing to see it given a try, and a slight nerf to it could be done later if neccessary. I don’t think your suggestion would put them anywhere near to the OP state of release, so I’d say worth a shot!

1 Like