Graphics

Suggestion: To make it even more realistic, the ballista should have a soldier behind it instead of moving by itself. That should not be hard to do I guess

Maybe if they have modding like they do in AOE2:HD people can add that in themselves.

It doesn’t bother me** too much**. If you were to do that with the ballista, you’d have to do it with everything else. Trebuchet, etc. I don’t know, it would be cool. But it’s probably not a priority.

My questions why, by villager is it cool, but by the ballista is so slow they go dead before they make 1 meter.

They won’t change something like this, since they want to “stay true to the original gameplay”.

I like that they move alone. Makes it seem like you are contolling it.

@Sarsy said:
They won’t change something like this, since they want to “stay true to the original gameplay”.

I think it won’t affect the gameplay because it will be still 1 unit and no individual units. I think it’s a very good idea to change it.

From what I’ve seen, every unit stays true to ist original art. So I doubt that changes such as this will happen. And tbh, I dont even mind. That was the AoE I played and loved.

It would also effect the unit size, since every unit has the right size for it. Having someone on the catapults would either make the catapult a lot bigger or the human on it really small. Same for the Ballistica

I would welcome that change, it was always funny for me how siege weapons moved by themselves.

@LandsHeer said:
It would also effect the unit size, since every unit has the right size for it. Having someone on the catapults would either make the catapult a lot bigger or the human on it really small. Same for the Ballistica

I see that point but wheren’t the units ways to big for the buildings?
Anyway, I also want to stick to the original art and keep such small but for the old days sake important changes away.

By the way, they are saying that the new graphics will be in 3D, but in the videos what we saw so far it looks like the units have pre-rendered sprites.
You can see that while the units are rotating, it looks like they are locked to 16 directions of rotation.

Nothing negative about pre-rendering, I was just wondering if it is “real” 3D.

@Manello1 said:

@LandsHeer said:
It would also effect the unit size, since every unit has the right size for it. Having someone on the catapults would either make the catapult a lot bigger or the human on it really small. Same for the Ballistica

I see that point but wheren’t the units ways to big for the buildings?
Anyway, I also want to stick to the original art and keep such small but for the old days sake important changes away.

yes that is true, but every unit itself was right with the size, for example the elephant unit, the rider and the elephant had the right size to each other.

I like the look of the original siege units just the way they are.

That said though, I don’t like how the new catapult is using lighter wood and lost the gold trimming on the cloth.

Too much contrast, and it looks less bulky. The classic catapult graphic made it look like an intimidating unit to see rolling out onto the field, something to be feared. (and rightly so given their massive AoE damage)

@Ronanqg said:
Suggestion: To make it even more realistic, the ballista should have a soldier behind it instead of moving by itself. That should not be hard to do I guess

love this game

I Personally I prefer it to be the most similar to the old graphics but with more quality, I would not like to see different things just to be “more realistic”

@EGVO said:

@Ronanqg said:
Suggestion: To make it even more realistic, the ballista should have a soldier behind it instead of moving by itself. That should not be hard to do I guess

love this game

Get off the internet grandpa, you have no idea what you’re doing! D:

@“Laurens BM” said:

@Sarsy said:
They won’t change something like this, since they want to “stay true to the original gameplay”.

I think it won’t affect the gameplay because it will be still 1 unit and no individual units. I think it’s a very good idea to change it.

I came off wrong, maybe not gameplay, but artstyle atleast. I think it’s sort of iconic the way siege weapons look in AoE.

@Sarsy said:

@“Laurens BM” said:

@Sarsy said:
They won’t change something like this, since they want to “stay true to the original gameplay”.

I think it won’t affect the gameplay because it will be still 1 unit and no individual units. I think it’s a very good idea to change it.

I came off wrong, maybe not gameplay, but artstyle atleast. I think it’s sort of iconic the way siege weapons look in AoE.

Yea I think they are iconic too. But I am afraid that’s primary caused by nostalgia ;’). Maybe it’s time for some small changes.

Maybe some minor changes in the textures per civ would be nice too. That Asian civs look less Hellenic for example.

@Sarsy said:
They won’t change something like this, since they want to “stay true to the original gameplay”.

I mean its also pretty useless to be honest. It would make everything look just more messy