Greek Revolution and some minor improvements

This year is the 200-year-anniversary of the Greek War of Independence. It took place between 1821 and 1829 and lead to the secession of Greece from the Ottoman Empire. While the outcome was mainly ‘decided’ by the superpowers, England and Russia, it was an inspiration for other southern European countries to seek independence from their Ottoman overlords. Thus I present you my suggestion for a Greek Revolution option, available to Ottomans and Germans(!). Being available to the Germans refers to the first Greek king after independence being Otto from the house of Wittelsbach (Bavaria). The playstyle of this revolution is a bit different to other revolutions and evolves a lot around stealth and sabotage and features the first Revolution TEAM shipment to my knowledge. The revolution yields bonuses and shipments regarding irregular/guerilla warfare (which was predominant in this conflict to my knowledge) as well as some naval options, which at least Germany, desperately lacks, while offering little on the side of artillery and cavalry. While I know that tensions are still running high between Greece and Turkey, even in these days, I am neither Turk or Greek myself. So please stay civilised. Thanks.

Greek Revolution (Germans, Ottomans)
All settlers are turned into Evzones. Evzones are regular revolutionary milita but can use stealth (since they are rather a kind of mountain infantry). Shipments arrive twice as fast.

• Filiki Eteria: Ships 8 Spies and spies deal more damage (all action damage x1,5), esp. to buildings and villagers (x1,33 on top, for a total of double damage against buildings and villagers) [refers to the Greek secret organisation that planed the coup]
  • 16 Spies (INF)
  • 16 Evzones (INF) [the revolutionary militia]
  • 4 Fireships (INF) [unit already in game, e.g. available in the campaign mission where you have to destroy the fountain of youth]
  • Megali Idea (Citizienship Variant): (Re-)Activates slow spawning of settlers (and possibly settlerwagons for Germans, setting Settler Wagon Limit to 49, but they take longer to train).
  • Outfit the merchant fleet [costs 500 coin]: docks slowly spawn fireships and fishing boats are (re-)enabled at docks.
  • Klephts (INF): Ships a number (12?) of Hajduks (available for Romanians and Hungarians so far) [or maybe have Klephts as a remodeld pistolero similar to the Hajduk which is a remodeled Renegado]
  • Armatoloi: Klephts generate a minor coin income, can use stealth and can train themselves (similar to a Daimyo’s ability, but only one unit at a time)
  • Philhellenism (TEAM) [Icon with Byron]: -30% Revolution Cost for Teammates +book crates worth 200XP
  • International Intervention (can be sent twice): Ships 1 Frigate with 2 Falconets onboard
  • Saboteurs: Ships 8 Petards and Petards can use stealth

Some minor improvement suggestions

• More numbers in descriptions (e.g.: spice trade: ‘replaces x with y in a:b ratio’ instead of ‘x is exchanged for a greater amount of y’)
  • Enable sorting homecity shipments by age AND type (instead of either): grid layout
  • preview of revolution shipments in the age up screen (similar to how the state-specific shipments are visible in the age-up-screen for the US)
  • making spies (and particularly their associated shipments like ‘Assassin’ and ‘Agents’) more useful by enabling a cooldown ranged attack (like Landsknechts’ Oberhau) with a pistol to enable them to combat mercenaries with high melee resistance more effectively.
12 Likes

It seems to me that a potential Italians civ would be a much better option than the Germans. After all, the Republic of Venice and the Republic of Genoa had a lot of Greek territories.

Besides, architecturally, they would also fit better :wink:

3 Likes

It was nice to see other Balkan revolutions - Bulgarians and Serbs (or Yugoslavs / Serbo-Croatians).

Overall, I would like AoE 3 DE to have such very important historical events as the Spring of Nations and the Napoleonic Wars. To portray the Spring of Nations, it is enough to have a larger number of European revolutions (especially in Eastern Europe). For the best presentation of the Napoleonic Wars, you can add such new civs - Austro-Hungary, Denmark-Norway, Italians and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

3 Likes

Well, an Italian civ is not even in the game yet, so I think this is a bit of a fruitless discussion? If there are Italians added at some point they could ofc have a Greek revolution as well, even though the Italian possessions in Greece where all gone by the time revolutions take place (at least Venice was not even an independent state anymore). I think Germans are a good fit, historical (their Colombia(?) rev is really odd-Chile would be more reasonable) and gameplay-wise. The German king of Greece brought a lot of experts (scientists, army instructors, doctors and even beer brewers etc.) to Greece, so I would see that justified as a German revolution.

And before everything else: it is easy to implement, very few new assets (two new skins for Evzones and Klephts and a few icons+a flag are) needed.

Now since the release of Knights of the Mediterranean we have some greek unit but I think also puting a greek revolution was a good idea because this was a important conflict of the time who involve many power. Also the house of Phanar was inspired by this revolution but also by the romanian and feature better the greek and romanian in the ottoman yoke.

Civilisation who have acces to this reovlution

Ottoman (the greek revolt against them)
Italian : Venise have greek possession untils the XVIII century
Malta : The knight of St John have Rhodes until the XVI century (also remove the romanian revolution for the maltese)
Russian : Russia invade many ####### island in the Orlov revolution and have the Ionian island in the form a protectorate (republic of the seven island). Also the russians are orthodox too.

Effect of the revolution : villagers turns in evzone and you can upgrade evzone to imperial. You can recruit them in your barracks and your town center. (you have not access to revolutionary)

Shipment

Klephte : Now ship some klephte. You can training them in your tavern and they cost population
Klephte ambush : now your klephtes can stealth them and they produce coin when they kill an unit
Armatoloi : Ranged infantry get +5% attack; Evzones get +15% attack instead
Wallachian uprising of 1821 : ship some Boyar (Romanian revolt in the same time of the greek but failed)
Sacred Band Infantry : ship some Sacred Band Infantry also you can train them in your barracks
Evzone : ship some evzone
Byzantine legacy : Buildings and ships get +15% hit points
Athos Monasteries : Ships 2 Athos Monastery Wagons that can build an Athos Monastery on a mine
Greek Shipyards : Increases Dock/Port work rate by 40% and increases Battleship build limit by 1
United States of the Ionian Islands : ship an factory cart. Also your factory now produce rocket (The United States of the Ionian Islands was a British protectorate 1815–1864)
Lord Byron : ship some British unit : some redcoat and one rocket
Navarino battle : ship a frigate and a Battleship (decisive battle of the war)
Morea expedition : ship some gendarme (represent the french intervention)
Orlov revolt : ship cossack and reckrut (represent the russian intervention of 1770 1771)
Missolonghi fortress : ship a fortress cart (Missolonghi was the big siege of the war)
Carronade
Sarakatsani : ship some goat and they fattened faster. You can also train goat. (Sarakatsani are greek nomad herder)
Capital city of Nauplio : Coastal Defenses, Defensive buildings get +0.8× against ship (Nauplio was the fort capital of greece)
Ioannis Kapodistrias : increase your experience rate (Ioannis Kapodistrias was first governor of greece and a good diplomat)
First National Assembly at Epidaurus : ship some villager and now you can train (Greek independance was proclaimed here)
Filiki Eteria: Ships 8 Spies and spies deal more damage (all action damage x1,5), esp. to buildings and villagers (x1,33 on top, for a total of double damage against buildings and villagers) [refers to the Greek secret organisation that planed the coup]
Othon de Wittelsbach : ship Mountain Trooper and Chevauleger (Othon de Wittelsbach was the fort greek king and come from Bavaria)

5 Likes

You got me at Greek revolution. I’ll add that, I think that in this case, units shouldn’t preserve their original language but change to Greek

1 Like

Personally I think Malta should just lose access to revs.

I think Russia helping in the Greek independence is a better justification than either of those.

1 Like

Hey this is pretty cool. I also have my own version of Greek Revolt.

New Revolt(Greece) For Ottoman only

Revolt Requirement= You need to select politicians in a certain order to unlock the Civ

YOU MUST NOT send the Oglan School Card
YOU MUST NOT age up with the Religious Scholar Politician
YOU NEED to have at least 2 Eco cards in your deck.
Saloon must be built

Revolt Description
All settlers become Liberator
Your Barracks become Armatoliks. Barracks that have more Health and Line of Sight. Not affected by Team Barracks HP card
Lose access to the Jannisary but will be able to access more units from the Armatolik.
Stradiots can now be trained from stables and now cost 1 population.

All Settlers become Liberators- Militia with 15% more movement speed but attack 10% slower.

-All Janissaries become Armatoloi and can no longer be trained from the barracks. Armatoloi have the 15% less HP than Jannisaries but are cheaper/ Cards that affected Jannisaries affect Armatoloi too
-All Abus Guns become Maniots
-All Units that speak Turkish now speak in Greek
-Great Bombard becomes Rebel Bombard( No Stat changes)
-Petards now deal more melee damage and have more Health. Become Arsonist Partisans

Balkan Support!-You can now train Stradiots from Stables and you will receive 2 Stradiots for your Next Shipments.

12 Armatoloi-Ships 12 musketeer Armatoloi that deal more damage to heavy infantry and Cavalry with their ranged attack.
But are only good against Light Infantry with melee attack

10 Klepthi- Powerful skirmisher units that deals bonus damage against artillery and can go into stealth. Has high siege damage.

6 Maniot- Heavy Greek Mercenary Infantry that has more Hp in Guard Formation.(Exclusive to the Greek) Upon sending this card. Team mates will have access to the Maniot from the Saloon,Native Embassy,Palace and Temple(EXCEPT THE OTTOMAN Allies)

Barracks become Armatoliks- Barracks with 50% more Line of sight and 100% more HP.
Armatoliks can train-Maniots, Klepthi and Armatoloi

Raiders and Sailors- Galleons, Galleys and Frigates gain +25% more HP and have increased range. also Increases mutiplier damage against buildings.

Cutthroat Reputation- Mercenaries are 8% cheaper and all charged attack recharge 30% faster.

Revolutionary Sympathizers- Ships 11 random Gundpowder Infantry Mercenaries. Infinite Card
(Highlander,Zouave,Fusilier,Askari,Jaeger)

Bountiful Sympathizer Support -Ships 400 wood, 300 food and 200 coin. Infinite card(Arrives Slow)

Maratime rush- Increases the Gather rate of all units that can fish(food) by 15% and ships a dock wagon. Arrives Fast

Stubborn Naval Support- Ships 2 small random ships(Galley,Caravel,Fire ship, Privateer) and +5% Ship HP. Infinite card.

Souliotes Support-Ships 500 Food, 4 Armatoloi, 4 Kelpthis and 2 Maniots. Increase the HP of Infantry by 10% (Arrives Slow)

Theodoros Kolokotronis-Ships Theodoros, A Heavy Cavalry hero that increases the attack of nearby Infantry by 10%. Ability: Archistratigos: Call upon Liberators at a cooldown.

Militia Economy-Liberators can now gather resources but at 10% slower rate than settlers.

Sustained Revolution-Sends 300 food Crate and add +1 to the Population space(Arrives Slow) Infinite

Grecce revolt work also as option for Italians civ - even also for Maltese civ.

I just posted this. Its an old one before introduction of azaps and humbaraci and before announcement of KOTM. Wanted to share it.

I like Theodoros Kolokothronhs he is like a shitty Napoleon. 21

Germans and French built Greek army, so maybe them too

1 Like

I still think Maltese should just lose access to revs