Hand Cannoneers bad state confirmed

Putting it in the game would be easy, balancing the actual technology would be hard.

1 Like

It would not, It is essentially Thumb Ring for HCs. That is as balanced as it gets.

Most civs which donā€™t need HC as a counter vs mass Halbs (bec they are strong in current meta) have already something to deal with them (which is much better than the currend HC):
Franks: TA
Khmer: Scorps
Lith: Skirms
Malians: Gbeto
Tatars: HCA
Teutons: TK

Just some examples.
Whilst indeed most civs with bonusses for HC struggle currently:
Spanish
Portuguese
Italians
Turks

Especially most Paladin Civs actually donā€™t rely on HC to make Palas work (except spanish and maybe Burgs). Most of them have some other units they would usually chose over HC to deal with mass Halb, even if it is buffed.

2 Likes

How much would it cost (in resources and time)? How much does it change ROF and accuracy? Does it make Fast Imps OP? Does the HC still cost to much?

Seeing as it would need you to get Chemistry first (no sense in having such a specific tech without having access to the unit first), the only ones taht could perhaps use it in a Fast Imp, would be Turks, which are not a dominating civs, and only have 1 real viable Trash option, that is very easy to deny with Halbs.

You could even make it 200 Food and 100 Gold, and no one would bat an eye.

Just make it give 100% Accuracy, like Arbalests after Thumb Ring and Ballistiscs.

I disagree with this.
With FU ESkirm and Conqs, Spanish needs no help fighting Halberdiers. ESkirms already are a counter to Halbs, and Conqs smash them, because the Halbs can never catch up.

Turks are one of the best civs on arenaā€¦ they probably shouldnā€™t get an upgrade to HC as most of their problem is getting to Imp and then running out of gold late game.

Portugese might be able to Fast Imp with Fetorias and make it work. Also Arbquebus would be useless for HC.

Then which civs would get it?

Its not a bad idea just wondering. (Also maybe changing it from accuracy to missed shots doing full damage might be more interesting and make it work better for Portuguese)

Edit: Edited overstatement

1 Like

Yeah the econq we see all the time with spanishā€¦ Especially together with palas in 1v1.

I Donā€™t know if i would say they are the best. top 5-10 easy. but best? no.

3 Likes

And they donā€™t rely on HC. Why should they if they have jans?

Just two civs which could possibly be buffed too much by stronger HC vs mass halb: Burgs and Lith. All others have either something mucg better vs mass halb or donā€™t rely on heavy cav.

For sure top five imo, best was stretching it.

4 Likes

HCs are better than Jans, in the Imperial Age, due to being easier to spam. Jans are best seen as a stronger but more expensive early HC.
In the Imperial Age, however, spammability normaly beats stats. If you lose 10 HCs and 10 Jans, you replace the HCs a lot faster.

Turks are not the only civ with an UU that is bad in Imp, either, but they have better options by then, anyway, specially now with the Artillery super buff.

??? I think you are the only one with that opinion. Jans > HC for Turks. At every stage.
You donā€™t want to lose either.

3 Likes

Usually with a fast imp you donā€™t have enough castles up to justify Janissaries, as you are better off getting conscription and artillery than Elite Janissary.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the ejanissary the main reason why you go fimp with turks in certain maps?
I mean I donā€™t play these maps regularly, but when I watched these maps in pro they speak about this all the time.

1 Like

No. EJans are never seen, the Elite upgrade is too expensive, and you can get 5 Archery Ranges easier than 3 Castles.
You go Fast Imp with Turks for immediate BBC and Hussar, so you can just break everyone elseā€™s Castles and Walls, effortlessly.

No one makes HC to support Cavalry, expect Burgundians. Other civs have FU Skirmishers, Kamandaran and Axeman.

Turks almost never need HC, because they have Cav Archers, Champions and Janisarries. Elite Janissary is completely useless though, but Cav Archers and Champions are perfect replacement and much better, than HC.

2 Likes

Ok, thx. Iā€™m not used to that civ. But so far I know they basically never make HC besides having a bonus to it.
But I saw elite Jans. I donā€™t think they are useless, but maybe they fall of in comparison to the other insane bonusses turks have in the lategame.

However there is definetely no risk in overbuffing Turks with better HC against Halbs.

Elite Janissaries are just a bit better, more expensive Hand Cannons without bonus damage. They donā€™t really kill anything.

My experience was that they dealt insane damage against my heavy cav when I faced them.
I mean I won that game with Hussar Spam, but my Heavy cav was kinda useless against jan + hussar of the turks player.