Hardest AI's feel like AOE 2 (Very Easy AI)

The AI’s barely attack, they don’t really do anything or attack with all the siege or units. They just go around their base and fight in the middle of the map.

When they will be improved?
Right now I can defeat the 7 hardest AI’s before Imperial Age as the Mongols…

7 Likes

hope, that will be improved - after they fix zoom

2 Likes

Wait what? There was a post talking about how easy is too hard, now there is a post talking about how the ai are pushovers… which one is it people?!

1 Like

Both.

Also the AI just doesn’t work sometimes. I had it multiple times that an AI was just stuck in Feudal Age while other AIs were in Imperial for a long time already.

The Easy AI seems to be more aggressive than Hard but does silly attacks like a Dark Age spearman push.

7 Likes

It really really depends on how you play versus the AI.

I basically had an AI stuck in Age 2 while I advanced to Age 4 simply by not letting any of his attacks reach my base. They would run around the base of a hill being attacked by a Keep. And they kept trying to do the same push over and over again and never advanced to Age 3.

Unfortunately, the AI is very, very stupid. You can easily defeat a very difficult AI. The worst AI in the AOE series.
Let’s hope Relic fixes this problem soon :frowning:

1 Like

I wonder if they automatically analyse recorded games from top players to train the AI. That would probably be the best move.

Hey I just beat a guy using dark age barracks proxy spears. But yeah the ai needs to be more consistent.

I noticed AIs depend on which civ, For example, Abbasids aren’t aggressive as the Rus or French etc. If you put a lot of Rus as your enemy they will play really well but it really takes a lot of time to really have a decent army against you. I feel like “Hardest” is like AOE 2’s “Easy” AI xD

1 Like

Hardest AI is reeeeally bad.

I beat it using only the mouse, only one type of unit, only the landmark as single military building… In about 15 minutes.

1 Like

Sometimes the Ai just won’t surrender at 10 mins and I have to spend a couple of minutes just killing landmarks. Maybe they mean hard to enjoy? idk

This day and age, with all the people used to participation medals… They want to win just for playing. Even just for existing. You found the start game button? Congrats, you deserve to win. Because you are special. And seriously, there are tons of options that can help you win even if easy is too hard. You can cheat, you can add more allies on your side so you can litterally just leave the pc and wait til you win… You can build men at arms… But they cant think of this? I guess some people just have a hard time with life in general

1 Like

Well, if its the first time someone is playing a Age of Empires game, even Easy will be hard as they expect to build a nice little town, make walls around, parade the units, etc.

If you have been to this rodeo before, you know your 1-6food/7-9wood/etc and how to build a simple economy and manage a handful of units, the hardest AI will die to a simple feudal age knight rush in 10 minutes without offering much resistance.

Something really wrong with this AI.

I feel like the AI does fine-ish considering that it doesn’t cheat at all.

It’s absolutely not a contender for anyone with any experience in AOE, but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

It is a decent contender for newer players, though, and I think that’s the whole point.

Maybe when Mod Tools arrive we’ll be able to write our own AI Scripts or, at least, make our own cheating AIs if we want to have a true hard mode for some compstomping fun.

This day and age, with all the people used to participation medals… They want to win just for playing. Even just for existing. You found the start game button? Congrats, you deserve to win. Because you are special. And seriously, there are tons of options that can help you win even if easy is too hard. You can cheat, you can add more allies on your side so you can litterally just leave the pc and wait til you win… You can build men at arms… But they cant think of this? I guess some people just have a hard time with life in general

Oh fuck off with that “kids those days” crap. It’s been decades since we got a popular traditional RTS, a lot of players are completely new to this kind of game. The Very Easy AI sends early attacks constantly, of course inexperienced players are going to struggle with that.

2 Likes

Any player can defeat the strongest AI.
All it takes is some training .
AI it is broken…

What? People being new have nothing to do with what I said. It’s that people are expecting to win by doing nothing right of the bat. Because they are used to getting rewarded just for existing. Allow yourself to fail a couple of times before beating easy AI and you’ll be fine.

Also the easy AI don’t send early attacks. They send like 4 units starting at 8-12 min depending on civ. You could be castle by then. For beginners they definitely should be feudal and have some units out. But They have every resource available to them to learn to do so. And art of war missions to practice. If they just put in the tiniest amount of effort into learning instead of complaining they’ll very quickly start winning. I coached my dad and he won his first game vs easy AI and he was able to do so alone like 2- games after. And he dont even play games at all. He had to learn stuff like which mouse button to click

But you don’t really even need units. The ai will walk right into tc fire if you retreat your vils. You can also build an outpost and auto kill them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why anyone would expect the AoE 4 hardest AI to be significantly better than AoE 2 DE’s extreme AI, as the 2 DE AI has been continuously worked on in recent years.

Has anyone tried playing 1v3 and 1v4 to see at what point they stop being able to beat it?

I played 1vs7 English. I won 7 AIs (Very sophisticated AI ) but I had to play for 4.2 hours and kill them one by one :slight_smile:

I play for France

In fact, the more AIs, the worse they play. Better to play 1vs1 or 1vs2. If there are a lot of AI opponents, they almost do not attack and all the time running around the map with minimal squads. Also if the player will not attack the AI will reduce the risk of attacking the player. I had so.

In AOE2DE I only defeated the Extreme AI a few times :smiley:

1 Like

Probably one of the big issues is that the AI build orders suck. But it’s normal since they were designed before release without even a basic Meta. I hope with time they will fix them.

1 Like

That sounds like it’s basically bugged, or they’ve intentionally made multiple opponents weak. I haven’t got to the stage of having to beat the hardest AI for the last mastery stage yet, but against hard AI it took me a couple of tries to win, and there’s no way anyone would be winning against 7x what it threw at me.

For perspective, at the moment only 6.5% of players have beaten hard AI, and 3.0% the hardest AI, and the masteries provide some incentive for people to try to do it.