Has the game died or not? Do you like it now?

What are your feelings after the new patch? I personally feel there are some things to tweak, but in general terms are there more or less players than before?? Do you like the game in its current state?

In some sense I feel a little let down, The more games I play I feel I cant reach the target audience of the game. Even in team matches ppl feel like “ugh they are coming and didn’t let me even finish my base, gerl bye…” and quit…

Thats why many times I commented us amateur/new players needed treaty matches maybe it would give us a chance to at least finish up a base in 20 or 40 minutes… (and then yes you can come destroy it your way rofl)

1 Like

The Season Four update lands tomorrow, so are you referring to one of the smaller patches we’ve had recently instead?

I guess my answer’s the same either way - see what Season Four does. I’m excited to see how the improved mod browser helps mod discoverability, because that’ll hopefully help the modding scene a lot.

1 Like

modding is another thing I haven’t liked much… I dont understand how to use it, and custom games feel way too unbalanced to me… its like no chance to win at all… thats why i have tried quick matches with ppl somewhere near my level of skill…

2 Likes

I think the games very fun, better every patch.

I think it needs some more single player and coop content.

If you like Treaty games I’d recommend the Advanced Game Settings mod.

1 Like

After a few games and they will be playing at their real rating, no excuse

There is a benefit to modding, although difficult; you can tune the game to whatever settings you like!! Literally you can play season 4 patch changes before its officially released; assuming you’re that good at navigating the mod editor.

I wish there was an official in gqme tutorial to the basics.

1 Like

I see they didn’t listen to anyone about the new English unit skins. Pretty pathetic.The King unit is a Feudal age king with his horse rocking plate armor lol. Sadly, I think I’m done with this game. It needs a DLC for new civs quick and more units in the mod tool, along with more thought into units themselves.

3 Likes

Did you miss the Zweihander he is holding comfortably with one hand?

1 Like

I like consistency; and in that regard, no I do not like the game. I will probably keep playing it here and there, but less and less. They really messed up by releasing an uncompleted game an having to change it so much in the first two years. If they had balanced it before-hand everyone would be on the same page about how it ‘should’ be. But when people get used to playing certain ways and those strategies get nerfed, I bet each time that happens there’s a % of people unwilling to adjust and simply stop playing. You can’t please everyone, but it’s not fair to bait someone into enjoying a game through siege combat, then completely nerf the hell out of siege for 8 months. There’s many examples like that. Chinese players are always complaining about getting nerfed. Mongol rushers went extinct. Abbasid camels got nerfed 6 months ago and I halved my playing time around then. It’s not dead but it’s not a successful business model either, IMO. Now they’re just trying to appease the players that remain, to milk what they can, instead of building a strong foundation for the game to flourish on its own. Based on other similar launches, I don’t expect the game to ever recover from this and become popular.

6 Likes

You mean they didn’t change models, in a few weeks, based on the complaints of a half dozen people about a very specific thing?

How often do you expect new civs to come out? Two were added less than 4 months ago.

2 Likes

The game is better than ever. Patch after patch, season after season things are getting improved. More and more people discover and play Age of Empires IV. Look at the stats. Best RTS in the market right now, for me.

3 Likes

It’s more than just a half dozen people lol. If you yourself don’t see it go, look at the unit models in the editor. Some are good, but the King unit is a joke. This past update was a joke as well. They whipped out the Malians and Ottomans pretty quick, they could have whipped up another 2 in a 1/4 of a year. Or some new campaigns and some new units for the editor at least…

In my opinion it’s like the developers have already moved on from this game. I paid full price, so did a lot of others on release. Disappointment is an understatement at this point. I haven’t played in months, until something drastic changes I won’t be either.

4 Likes

I forgot to menton that haha

1 Like

Nah, I uninstalled it a year ago,

1. Not enough single player content
  2. Graphics looks similar to that of mobile games
  3. The update leans to that of multiplayer (which I never played)

So yeah, when I bought the game I expected this to have tons of campaigns, realistic graphics (at least better than AoE 3), and pour hundreds of hours into the game as a single player; but I guess that era is over. AoE 2 & 3 are perhaps my last AoE game now. For those who love this game, good for you, but this game isn’t for me.

10 Likes

Same!

Sad 20 Characters.

wrong this month acording to steamcharts is losing 1 k players and going back again when it got the worst playernumber in this game’s lifespan. so its not true that one

2 Likes

guys this game wont die easily because of its competetive and fluid mechanics but recently i find myself playing aoe3 more comfortable because you dont need to build a gathering point so you can concentrate on battles and tactics more easily.

4 Likes

there’s a number of factors here, currently aoe4 is by far the most promoted age game, followed by aoe2, with 3 getting most minimal attention, weird part is, aoe2 numbers are about the same as for years, aoe3 numbers actually went slightly up lately, while aoe4, despite all the spotlight managed to decline, just like at launch (numbers for now are less severe but still not pretty compared to any other game in this franchise), now as a brand new RTS and not a remaster, is it the best atm, well probably, but then ask yourself the following question: if this “best RTS” is so riddled with problems in development focus, how the game is designed and what crowd its trying to target, then how much worse is everything else then to make this seem successfull, i think its common knowledge that aoe4 is pretty much carried by its name, not so much by what is being offered

8 Likes

After more than a year of release, it’s sad that this still holds so true.

Call this game anything other than Age of Empires and without Microsoft’s eSports tournament and advertisement budgets and nobody would’ve ever known it existed.

8 Likes

you’d get smt like empires apart scenario, not a bad game by any means, but not outstanding in any good way to sell itself

2 Likes