Have villagers always been saying "lumberjack", "hunter" etc in different languages?

United States civilians sound like robots saying this every time you send them to a resource, lol

Yes, the French say e.g. “Coureur” (Runner), “Ramasseur” (Forager), “Cueilleur” (Plucker), Mason(Carpenter).

It’s kinda funny and stupid at the same time XD

2 Likes

Yes.
Imagine how embarrassing it is for French or Japanese or Chinese speakers, etc.
You should thank the devs for always letting English/British units speak old English otherwise you’ll be experiencing the same embarrassment since long ago.

2 Likes

AHEM

FOR AMERICAAAA

3 Likes

The Lakota man just says things like, “Wood,” “Berries,” or “Meat,” while the female Lakota says things like “I will gather the wood,” or “I will farm the land.” She makes full sentences - he just says single things that make me think he’s a bit of a dunce.

3 Likes

Yes. And they sound pretty robotic on other languages as well. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There is even mistranslated lines. Like the Portuguese settlers saying “Assalariado(a)” (Literally means stipendiary in Portuguese) when they are order to mine coin. And “Camponês(esa)” (Somebody who lives on rural areas) when they are ordered to work on the mill/plantations.

I also believe that the German settlers says “Händler” (Means Merchant) when he go to work on the mines. And one of the lines of the Russian settlers means something like “How you doing?”.

It’s kind of fun actually :joy:

2 Likes

The male voice for mining in Lakota says Yušpúšpupi, which directly translates to… Pocket change. There’s definitely weird errors and mistranslations all over the place :laughing:

Although, that’s probably the best line on the game together with the “Anfalleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!” from the Dutch explorer.

3 Likes

It is part of the AoE 3 magic

As an American I can confirm, every time I start running I yell at the top of my lungs “FOR AMERICA!!”

2 Likes

There are brutal errors in every civ. Portuguese unit names are not even in Portuguese, for the most part, and Euro civs say stupid stuff all the time.

Wage Worker would be the most correct translation. Assalariado means he works for a salary, the correct word would have been Mineiro, which is Miner.
CamponĂŞs just means Peasant, they should have used Agricultor, which means Farmer.