"HOST REJECETED" when trying to connect

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: v.100.12.11148.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

• I am unable to join any multiplayer games. I keep getting a “HOST REJECTED” error message while connecting. It doesn’t matter if I host or they host:
  • If I host they will get a “HOST REJECTED” error message – but they CAN play with others.
  • If they host I get a “HOST REJECTED” error message.

Under Steam I have also verified “Local Files” via “Verify integrity of game files” and no issues are detected. i.e. “All files successfully validated”.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Start AoE3:DE
  2. Shift-Tab to bring up the Steam’s Friends List
  3. Right Click on the a friend’s name
  4. Join Game

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Actually join the lobby.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

I keep getting a “HOST REJECTED” error dialog with ZERO description on what the problem is or how to fix it.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

• n/a

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

• n/a

Game is full, or the person blocked you.
easy done.
Otherwise it could be your antivirus programm blocking you from connection to other people.
If that doesnt help, try turning on a VPN.

Game is full,

Nope. I already said it happens if I host.

or the person blocked you.

Nope. Only playing with friends.

antivirus program blocking you from connection to other people.

Nope. It is turned off. Antivirus doesn’t block incoming connections – that is the job of the a firewall. Windows Firewall has AOE3 listed and connections are allowed on both private and public for AoE3DE_s.exe and BattleServer.exe.

try turning on a VPN.

The problem is with the bad lobby networking code – a VPN isn’t needed. I am able to play AoE2:DE and every other multiplayer game just fine – it is ONLY AoE3:DE that is having an issue.

1 Like

FINALLY figured out a solution.

Cause: The Event Challenge installs the Winter Wonderland mod. The garbage error message “Host Rejected” doesn’t actually describe the actual problem: Incompatible mods between the host and clients.

Solution: Tools > Mods > uncheck Winter Wonderland

2 Likes

Didnt work for me, didnt have the mod installed. Any other solutions?
EDIT: Fixed had missing files when i did a “Verify integrity of game files”

Still have the problem after verifying game files. Is there anything else that can be done?

You are referring to a different issue , that has its solution here:

1 Like

This is still not working. I have tried available different versions of proton from game compatibility mode to the steam selection using multiple configurations. I’ve tried all proton experimentals, release candidates, patches period I’ve edited the AOE3:DE to remove P1 and tested. I’ve rebooted several times. I’ve rebooted the router several times. I’ve uninstalled steam several times, 100%. I’ve updated Ubuntu to the latest several times. I’ve checked data Integrity several times, not just for AOE but also for proton versions. I followed every blog and / or frequently ask questions and / or forums like this one and followed every single idea to no avail. Having said all this it is my personal opinion that has nothing to do with proton because I have tested it so thoroughly. I also know that it is not my network or computer, chave tested game port changes too. I have Windows gamers in the house that are absent of this issue. I’m a senior software engineer and I have tested the crap out of this on 4 occasions since Feb 5, 2023. I have to wait for Microsoft. Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS. I can’t find the AOE3:DE logging beta, but if you can I will install find this bug.