Hosting custom content lobby with datamod crashes randomly

im on 8.1 so not the issue there haha. well both windows share similar libraries anyway so not sure whats causing this.

Iā€™ve been hosting somewhat more frequently lately and up until yesterday hadnā€™t experienced those freezes again, when suddenly I had two crashes in a row. A friend took over the hosting, and then his game froze as well.

I still canā€™t really say much about what couldā€™ve caused this. In one freeze, I was alt-tabbed (checking aoe2 net and Discord), when I couldnā€™t tab back into the game at all - it simply wouldnā€™t let me. I typically tab back using the icons from the taskbar, but not even using actual alt-tab would help, so I had to manually close it by having Steam stop the game.

The next freeze happened while I hadnā€™t really even alt-tabbed or shift-tabbed (to speak with the friend) at all, I was in the game. All I can remember is someone joining into a spot where a previous player had left (had picked Byzantines and left, so the UI showed the fresh player as having Byzantines before it actually selects Random). I see that happening very often and not producing a crash, but thatā€™s the only thing. :confused:

The games werenā€™t even really up for a long time, the first one happened while the game was half-full and the second with a full lobby.

Friendā€™s crash also happened with a full lobby and very quickly after mine. We kind of joked that I ā€˜infectedā€™ him, since that has also sort-of been the case with other friends in the past. And since Iā€™d have to stop the game using Steam (by pressing Stop), I donā€™t think itā€™d create a mdmp file either. Would alt+f4 generate such a file instead? Maybe thereā€™s a way I can force the file to be created the next time this happens?

When Iā€™m alttabbed and looking at a website when the crash happens, I cannot even get back into the game, so I donā€™t know if I could even alt+f4 it thenā€¦

1 Like

they are saying to use Ctrl+Pause/Break to force crash game and generate mdmp but it doesnā€™t work for me.

they might have broken that Ctrl+Pause/Break feature as well 11

Iā€™ll give that a try next time. Didnā€™t know this function even works. 11