Hotkeys Changed and Cannot Change them Back due to Insufficient Space

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: AOE II DE, Version 101.102.18071.0 (483607) 11179620
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam / Microsoft Store
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Mac / Linux

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
My hotkey for my towncenter, and many other hotkeys were changed and I did not change them. When I tried to fix it, it will not save the correct hotkeys, and I get this error message:

“There was a problem writing file. Additionaloptions.aop due to insufficient space. Please delete some files.” My hard drive has lots of space available, so I do not understand this. I cannot play the game without hotkeys.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)
  • 25% of the time / matches I play (SOMETIMES)
  • 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)
  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)
    100% of the time.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. As soon as I load the game, and go to hotkeys, it has been changed for my towncenter (most importantly) and many other hotkeys. For towncenter it shows as Extra Button 1 on my mouse.
  2. Try to change the hotkey back to H for Town Center and click confirm.
  3. Gives you error message stated above.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
I would be able to play with my desired hotkeys. I cannot play the game without my hotkes.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

This is another error message that I get.

I reported this issue to the team, in the meantime, I recommend you to try setting the hotkeys back to default to check if you still get this error message or not.
Thanks for your report.

Hi, I tried to change the hotkeys to default, and I got the same error message. I definitely can’t play like this. Thank you for your attention to the matter. I browsed the forum and it seems this is happening to other people as well. See attached error message for when I tried to use the default hotkeys.

1 Like

FYI my hotkeys still are not working. I have a theory about what is happening though. I play this game more than most people, and my steam account says I have played 3637 hours. On steam, when I go to properties, for my steam cloud, for Saved games, it says I have 95.37 stored, and 809 bytes available. I was not aware there was a limit on game saves or capacity. I think my hotkeys may not be working because I have too many saved games. Screenshot attached.

I deleted all of my hotkeys and it still says my cloud is 100% full. The error is on the cloud, and that is what is stopping me from changing my hotkeys.

Bump. Please see my other replies. I think I know what’s wrong. The issue is with steam.

@Lorenzode_Medici
Are you on Windows OS?

Windows 11. PC info below:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎10/‎23/‎2022
OS build 22621.1702
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22641.1000.0
Device name BT_Mantis_PC
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-12900F 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Device ID DB284444-C469-4D1F-9385-9514ECFE30B0
Product ID 00326-10121-48887-AA954
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I don’t think this issue is related to Steam Cloud, I can recommend you to try some stuff:

1. Deleting your user files. For deleting your user files, you should:

a. Make sure that your Steam Cloud is disabled in Steam, AoE2 game, Properties, General.

b. Go to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE.

c. Copy your user folder to a safe place, it has lots of numbers.

d. Delete the original folder

e. Verify your files in Steam, AoE2 game, Properties, Local Files.

f. Open the game again. A new user folder will be created.

If this works, then copy back the files from your old user folder. Those files are in the folder -C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE<0>\Savegame, Recorded Games and Save games.

1 Like

I did the steps you said, and it worked! My hotkeys are still messed up, but at least now when I try to put the hotkeys back, it allows me to save the changes and I do not get the error message anymore. Thank you for your help and all your work on this game.

Update: When I turn off everything in Steam/properties/general, I am allowed to change my hotkeys. But when I put all the options back in the General section, then I get the error message again. I do think the problem is with steam. Also, I delete all my saved games, and both AOE 2 says am at 100% capacity on steam, and steam itself says I am using pretty much 100% of my capcity with only a few bytes available. How do I clear data from steam that it is storing?

I’m afraid there is no way to delete the data stored in the cloud :frowning:

Hello @Lorenzode_Medici
It seems that I was wrong and it is possible to delete Steam Cloud Files.
First of all you need to enable Steam Cloud:
Then open the game - Single Player - Load Game, and look for files with this icon:

Delete them and reopen the game to synchronize Steam Cloud.

We’re also investigating if it’s possible the game is storing old files that are not used anymore, could you follow the steps on this site https://www.howtogeek.com/428491/how-to-download-your-save-games-from-steam-cloud/ and compare the files to the ones you have locally(Inside the Load Game menu)?
Thank you.