Hotkeys fully customizable?

i actually stopped playing the beta because HK’s were not customizable enough
deal breaker

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of such a niche thing to be a deal breaker.
But best of luck to you. Maybe one day they will add it.

It is not a niche thing. Maybe if you are campaign only player it does not matter. But if you are playing competitive it is almost impossible to play without custom hotkeys. Imagine the muscle memory built up from several years of playing AOE2 or SC2 but no way to transfer that to AOE4.

I actually quit the beta for the very same reason, without custom hotkeys it is not possible for me to play the game. It is as severe as having to play without a mouse - technically possible but not worth the effort.

6 Likes

Well see I don’t have the same hotkeys for most of the games I play.
My point isn’t that custom hotkeys aren’t useful. But rather that it feels like an odd thing to pass up an entire game over.

Idk that feels like a major exaggeration. Its not like there aren’t hotkeys you can use. There just aren’t the hotkeys you want rn.
Ultimately its your decision. Im just expressing my view on it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it an exaggeration. I’ve played games with lots of useful add-ons, but when things like huge version patches arrived and it broke a bunch of the add_ons, I just couldn’t play the game because it felt too tedious. I’d rather sit out playing until the add-on creators fixed the issues.

1 Like

I mean I still think it isn’t a completely debilitating thing. To me custom hotkeys are just a means to an end and the convenience I lose from not having them is pretty minimal.
But I can understand it not being good for specific people.
We are just different people with different experiences I suppose.

1 Like

The developers seem to believe that we will like grid hotkeys. Even though the open beta started now, they haven’t modified it yet. So funny.

1 Like

In one interview Isgreen said he wants all hotkeys fully customizable, but it sounded like it was not ready yet, unfortunately they may not all be there at launch.

They mentioned they will add them. It just isn’t a priority for them now.

I hope they are going to enable mouse buttons to be used as hotkeys, but I guess they will because it can’t be too hard to add that.

4 Likes

Yea, in 1999 AoE came out with all this right out of the bat. Now 20 years later we cant have this at launch, 20 years later the technology is not there anymore, we have regressed, we need a long roadmap for fully custom hotkeys today, a mega patch later. The knowledge is lost and they dont have the engineers to do it, they are now sitting scratching their heads how to program it. It is hard work for today’s standards.

Im sorry but I find this stuff inadmissible. $60 game folks, the successor of the mighty AoE franchise.

4 Likes

please add cameras locations hotkeys!

1 Like

totaly agree with u, couldn’t bind a combinaison of shift + keys

Speaking for my brother, who was the world’s #2 teams player in AoE3, lack of fully customizable hotkeys seems to be a deal breaker for him.

2 Likes

I am still hang on aoe2, but i got the same feeling as your brother if the game doesn t change, admit that some other rts -sc2- has better mechanics -camera location hotkeys- and fully customizable hotkeys i will leave aoe2 and aoe4 for sc2.

1 Like

Ok, I think you should try to see the whole picture, it’s not just about me or you, but if age4 want to convince players from other games, it needs hotkey’s. I can understand that does almost not affect you, but think about all those LOL players that are almost completlety programed with specific hotkey’s. Think about SC2 players, and aoe2 players.

Customizable hotkey’s is a RED line not for my own interest, but for age4 success.

3 Likes