How do you feel about the Malian UU?

As cool as the Gbeto female warrior is, I feel it isn’t historically accurate since they were from the kingdom of Dahomey (in modern Benin) rather than Mali. A better UU for Mali would be a cavalry unit like the Farima, since cavalry were very important to the armies of Mali and other Sahelian kingdoms. It would look something like this:

Would you guys prefer that, or is the Gbeto good enough for you?

2 Likes

I agree that the Farima would be more accurate. The Gbeto is cool though. Maybe if they had both?

2 Likes

The current Malian civ covers the Western African and Sahelian nations now so I would not say it is inaccurate. In the other hand, Malians has the UT to make the cavalry special and a melee unit with range is pretty interesting.

Persians having Indian war elephants is the first and biggest one in the kind of this problem, btw.

1 Like

Mali is the umbrella for all west african factions so its perfectly fine to have the current uu.Besides this is the only female uu in game and we already have too many cavalry uus.

2 Likes

Agreed, having them both would be neat.

1 Like

Maybe they could create a Dahomey/Fon civ, move the Gbeto to it and add a new UU for Malians, but if they were willing to fix inaccuracies in AoE2, Byzantines and Italians wouldn’t be speaking Latin anymore. They’re willing to fix the DLC civs from AoE3 but the base civs and the AoE2 civs are sacred apparently.

Once again… Farimba is in game already, the Gebeto can stay but all that the game needs is Culturally/Hisotically correct unit skins for each civ. This will solve all of these small problems regarding civs lacking a certain unit. Almost all units are in game but currently they look like 14th Century European soldiers and THAT is the problem. With correct skins , bam! you have your Farimba cav in the Heavy cav line. Sorted.

1 Like

The current unit is awesome. You essentially have a fast-moving archer with melee damage. With the added benefit of anti ram damage at range, and able to shut down the Goth flood huskarl spam.

Can more effectively deal with siege since it does melee damage.

What you have is a faster version of of a Frank’s throwing axe man, that does even more damage at the cost having less HP.

1 Like

From a historical perspective, sure why not?

From a balancing perspective, Malians have more need for a ranged melee unit than another cavalry unit.

4 Likes

I’d like Gbetos a lot more if they could hit moving targets. Please teach them Ballistics.

It would also be nice if they got the Malian Pierce Armor bonus (all infantry, not just Barracks). A raiding unit that dies instantly to TC and castle fire has very limited use. They would still be a low HP unit and die easily to most defenses and units.

But Gbeto costs a lot of gold.
40 gold is a lot for a low HP infantry unit that dies to anything ranged, it’s the most expensive infantry UU (together with TK).
Imho Gbeto is too frail for what it costs, I never liked it.

It is also the most damaging of all non siege ranged units with arambais, but deals melee damages that melts rams and buildings.

If anything, give CA Gbetos +5hp, but that’s about it.

1 Like

I agree that it is an unfitting UU but I don’t think they’ll change it anymore, no matter how historically accurate it is.

I’d still like to see more African civs though.

3 Likes

hopefully the next DLC… but im guessing another meso or asian first?

maybe we get lucky and get 1 of each

1 Like

I’d br okay with extending the pa civ bonus to gbetos. Given the low health they would still be murdered by archers

4 Likes

I mean, I fell you, but age is simply known for its inaccuracies…

The game is full of those, especially in the UU, like berserkers, throwing axemen… I mean, mamelukes didn’t throw swords at the enemy…

Hopefully, we’ll have several UU’s like that or at least skins of them for knights:

3 Likes