How is AOE 4 cartoony?

Mickey-Mouse

AOE 4 does look like a cartoon?

21 Likes

Then comapare with aoe1/2/3DE… Think with a scale in your mind, not binary

9 Likes

I think the graphics look beautiful and readable. I think they are better than AOE3 graphics (not the water though) especially when it comes to readability. I hope they fix the scale of the elephants though.

26 Likes

I think people don’t call it cartoony much anymore after more footage was released. I see two problems still with the graphics which i pick up in a lot of comments:

1. A lot of units have very little textures which gives them a clay, unnaturally clean look.
  2. Castles and production buildings are ridiculously small, while walls are too big. You can put a vill next to barracks and the barracks door comes up to the vills crotch. Really hard to be immersed when seeing this.

This doesn’t make the game cartoony in the literal sense but makes it really just more ‘cheap’ looking as the two points made are often observed in mobile games.

29 Likes

first , DE versions are not better looking than aoe4 , the have a more “realistic artstyle” but sometimes realism is not the best to a game who haves colorfull units (right aoe3 DE?)

11 Likes

No, AoE4 does not look cartoony, some people just will criticize everything, even if it’s objectively a fine product.

12 Likes

I think these graphics fit perfectly in a try of a good readability on a RTS game

11 Likes

Just need more contrast, a little more detail then it’ll be good.

I say it looks great but the unit models are terrible. I don’t mind that much cause I’m more in love with the gameplay but still it would be less annoying if units looked better

3 Likes

Eh, it’s all relative.
I personally like the artistic direction just as much as I liked the style of AoE1-3.

4 Likes

People already gave their opinions on this forum and different places, feedback was already given, does devs listen? we will see.

it is not entirely cartoon, it feels like a Disney game, for Disney fans IMO. many people like this, specially young people but many people hate it. that would be reflected steam game reviews for sure.

What is cartoon? When the proportions between the body parts are not balanced, usually the head is big, the hands are big, the legs are small, the houses are similarly distorted. it’s called cartoon. and AOE4 is not a cartoon. balanced proportions of people. the house is not deformed. This is the graphic style of AOE4. Although it’s not realistic like total war, AOE4 isn’t a cartoon either. Those who say AOE4 is a cartoon, actually they don’t even know what a cartoon is?

1 Like

so no cartoon, lest call it childish ?

I see no difference with the cartoony images

Graphics are fine. Look really nice. Not cartoony.

Doesn’t look as good as AoE2 DE but nothing does, so. … expected.

2 Likes

I would argue that it is the least expect of a sequel to look worse than previous titles. That’s why most people are disappointed.

Before the “but it’s 3D!” people show up I’ll just add that games switched to 3D 25 years ago. Lara Croft can catch a break for looking worse than the 2D games that came before, AOE4 can not.

2D always looks better for RTS, actually. The Lara Croft games are FPS (or TPS) so that’s completely different.

1 Like

Spellforce 3, Company of Heroes, Starcraft 2, Anno, Homeworld, Total War, all beg to differ.

1 Like

@Jehovahkin1 Starcraft 1 remastered, AoE 2 DE and AoE 1 DE all look better and they’re all still 2D. Go figure.

1 Like