How is Japan not nerfed yet?

Huuum… They kind of already reduced the Daimyo ‘-’

What is impeding you to kite away the Ashigaru as well?

On the topic. Japan have been nerfed quite a lot on the latter patches, and I think even more nerfs are on the way.

Cav archers have 8 times multiplier vs artillery … ouch and their flaming arrows are already cost efficient and cost effective vs European artillery…

Personally leave everything about the OP army untouched!!! All I ask is this make the build time for shrines 15 sec instead of 8 and make shrines tasked with 0 animals half of its current production. What makes me sick of the civ is how they can turtle vs a rush and soon enough their animal-less shrines at home is enough to keep them afloat to stave off the rush and late into the mid game (fortress early industrial).

At all times this game should be about map control. If you’re gonna give a civ an infinite resource tuck safely away in base then what purpose does that civ have to push out?

Making the non animal shrines produce at HALF the current non animal shrines rate will encourage japan to take land with villagers and monks. Making the already dirt cheap shrines take LONGER to build will almost double the boom time but will also expose the builder for longer which gives the opponent more opportunities to catch said builder.

2 Likes

They are Ranged, so they always deal damage, and if you try to kite them, they will always go for Vills, and always do damage, while a Samurai will not.

Good point maybe the daimyo isn’t the best nerf, probably just make the close combat card thay increases ashi damge to cav and give ashi extra hp into 2 separate cards, also yumis could use a nerf as well but I’m not sure exactly what

1 Like

u forgot yumi are OP and flaming arrow are OP :smiley:

1 Like

Alternatively they could have Samurai as a broad unit type, similar to how the Aztecs have Noble units. They could train Ashigarus at the barracks and Samurai at the castle.

Something like this:

Barracks:

• Yari Pikeman - Basic Pikeman type that replaces the old Ashigaru in its melee role. This is to reduce how pop efficient they are with their Ashigaru. Fast moving like the old Ashigaru, but without being ranged.
  • Yumi Archer - Same as before.
  • Teppo Musketeer - Same speed and damage as the European Musketeer, still with slightly higher Health, and with a lower modifier against Cav, similar to Janissaries. Gets a wakizashi instead of a naginata when attacking in melee.

Castle:

• Naginata Rider - Same as before.
  • Yabusame - Same as before.
  • Nagamaki Bushi - Same as the old Samurai, but armed with a nagamaki to justify being on foot and having an AoE attack.
4 Likes

Samurai should never have been a single unit, A Samurai Archer, Gunner and Spearman would have made much more sense, than a Samurai with a Katana as a main weapon, which is the same as calling a unit “Rifleman” and giving it a Pistol as main weapon.

Well, the Yabusame are named after the mounted archery practiced by the Samurai, so presumably the in-game units are Samurai themselves. Seeing as the Samurai were primarily cavalry and Ashigaru were foot soldier (their name basically means ‘light on their feet’), it’s probable that the Naginata Rider is also meant to be a member of the Samurai class.

The only time Samurai weren’t fighting on horseback on the battlefield was when when they were using weapons such as the Nagamaki or the Kanabo, hence why I think a Nagamaki unit makes sense as an on-foot samurai, especially since the Nagamaki lends itself quite well to the existing “Samurai” unit’s stats and gameplay lore, as it is used in wide sweeps, is designed to use against cavalry, and is a weapon for use on foot.

1 Like

I mean, the shrines already produce 1/3 of what a villager would. If I’m being honest I can understand people complaining on how strong their military units can potentially be, but shrines are not broken and Japan already have one of the slowest start on the game.

You can still kite then with skirmishers like normal musketeers. Musketeers aren’t very good at kitting because of the low range.

And damn, a chill went down my spines here just think on the possibility of a Samurai raid on villagers. :scream: I don’t think you can just ignore the presence of samurais on the field.

This is actually a pretty nice suggestion. Samurais where a elite unit and reflection this on the game would be pretty nice.

The rest of the proposal, I kind of have to think about it. But I don’t like deleting the Stables from them.

1 Like

Most civs do not have Skirmishers in Colonial.
That is why 2 Ashis or Yumis, would be a huge buff compared to the Samurai, from building a Torii Gates.

Samurai cannot actually get to Vills, the Vills will just retreat and the Samurai will get blasted by Ranged units.
ALL Hand Infantry taht is not fast, is bad in this game. Specially at raiding Vills.

Yeah, from the perspective of a second age Torii Gates build, would be much better to have Ashigarus or Yumi because samurais are too expensive to mass at early stages.

Samurais are faster than villagers, and there is the snare effect. Is possible to do it. But if you where fighting before hand you can just compulsively retreat the settlers in both cases (Ranged infantry and melee) since you know they are coming, or even stand your ground with settlers fighting if you have bluderbuss.

But I agree that samurais are not good on the second age because they are expensive and troops with splash damage needs to be massed to be effective.

1 Like

The stable could be replaced with a similar building that has the Nagamaki Bushi trained alongside cavalry. Maybe a Bukeyashiki, a samurai mansion? It would be essentially a small collection of buildings with a courtyard and a gate, similar to a Kancha house, one of which would be a small stable. It can be the same cost and size as a stable.

If the name is confusing they could name it something like “Noble Residence”. :rofl:

You are biased. Learn to counter Japan.

1 Like

Whenever people pop up saying “no civ xxx is perfectly balanced. You just need to do that one exact thing and do it really really well and they stand no chance”.
I think they already know why that civ is hated.

7 Likes

Your biased as well, learn to play a civ that isn’t basically playing the game on easy mode and you’ll quickly see how much ELO you drop.

2 Likes

100% agree, I think that there is a HUGE double standard with statements like that, japan can hold a rush maybe 40% of the time, therefore japan should be able to win after getting max shrine 60% of the time and not japan after getting max shrines wins 75-80% of the time, that’s dumb and mathematically and in practice very OP

Speaking of samurai raids on villagers, it makes no sense how The devs are fine with having samurais with 130 siege in the late game but nerf Lakota siege dance, don’t get me wrong bo current samurai siege and old Lakota siege are op what I’m saying is how can they nerf one but not the other when they are the same thing, if anything you would think the samurai would get nerfed first because your giving a really powerful dumb strategy to an already Op civ

I agree Japan needs a nerf. Apart from balance I have always had an issue with how Japan can do any strategy since all their units are very good. They have too many bonuses. A good example of this I how they have a card that increases the range of their mortars. After all the bonuses they get and then their mortars can have the range of Port mortars too, this is unnecessary.

5 Likes

I just won a 1v1 vs japan that was only because I rushed and then it was a brutal fight the entire game. They just rotated around hte map with shrines and somehow raced to Age 4 from Age 2 all while producing armies that were the same size as mine. He had over 100k resources in free units at the end of the game. This is not fair and is so obvious. please nerf them.

2 Likes

This is exactly why people who defend japan are dead wrong, sure you can siege shrines but guess what? They are 75 wood, cheaper than the houses of a generic civ! And they have 1600 hp, more than a generic civ as well not to mention if their scouts get caught out by your army, just teleport it back, shrining really is full proof and I really don’t know how you win that , well done man

4 Likes