How is Japan not nerfed yet?

Lol everyone is here with the daily Japan/Sweden complaint? but none propose a nerf WITHOUT MAKING THE CIV BAD

1 Like

I mean, for nerfing japan I mention not giving them as much upgrade cards or at least splitting up some upgrade cards that give two effects in one, also I feel like if they either remove port consulate or remove heavenly kami japan would be just fine because with both of them a shrine is cheaper than a normal house, with just one of them a shrine is 106 wood, I think that’s pretty fair because most civs pay 100 wood, japan spends 6 more but has a tiny trickle with every house, the 6 wood pays off rather fast so it wouldn’t make japan unplayable @FurtherLime7936 with my proposed changed of not giving japan port consulate a shrine still pays for itself quite fast, but now you can’t easily rebuild shrines once you lose them, so pretty much makes losing shrines worse and makes you think about where you put them instead of the current brain dead spam shrines everywhere even on your opponents side

2 Likes

Reducing ashi speed wouldn’t make the civ bad, and maybe getting rid of their 2 flaming arrow card.

1 Like

its a pretty bad unit

its about the only melee infantry worth buying and is very expencive

most factions gather most of their gold relatively safely.

Yabushe is not OP, they are very expensive and will die fast to their counters. Samurai are also simply not Op, they are decent but a small amount of artillery or skirmishers will wipe them out which is also very costly for Japan.

Shrines are very good, but yet so are banks aswell, I wouldnt change the way they gather or anything like that, I would make it that enemies can still shoot the hunts, making the shrine more of an early game advantage.

Also all and all I wouldnt say most things on their own are necissarily OP, but the amount of good things Japan gets does make them very strong, their Daimio is good, but again I dont think its op, they should remove all other daimios except the one you get from wonders and maybe remake the cards who gave extra daimios into buffs or something like that. Maybe also make it that when Daimios are training their resistence is removed or they have lower hp.

Speaking of playing the game properly, the two core aspects of age of empires have always been, gather wood, food, gold and get your economy going, then make army units. And guess what? Japan gets a handicap in both of those categories by having some of the best units with the most upgrades in the game. AND by having
Houses cheaper than a standard civs houses that gather for you so you can be a noob and have tons of idles and still easily out gather any civ in the entire game so if by playing the game properly means playing the way that gets you the most free wins, then yeah I don’t play the game probably because I don’t lame japan. as a wise man called kaiserklein always said “any top 100 player can be a top 3 player if they play the right civs” and the same applies to the lower level too, any top 1000 player can be a top 500 or 400 player with the right civs and what is the right civ you may ask? Look no further! This civ has 75 wood houses that make you not have to care the least bit about Macro! Not enough? What if I told you they have a walking barracks with a powerful aura that makes your entire army have more attack? And just the cherry on top, they have the most broken musketeers in the entire ■■■■■■■ game that breaks the counter system by being fast enough at chase skirmishers and force them into Melee mode! And what if your opponent is way better than you and massing more musks than you? No worries! You have an age 2 unit that’s just a better version of the longbow! Know your going to get rushed hard? No worries! You get so much free wood from your auto gather houses you can drop a few pillarless wall and force bad pathing! And you can send your own version of colonial militia, and even if your opponent decided to siege down your shrines it doesn’t matter! With a 75 wood costs they are very spammable plus if the take the time to siege your shrines they actually play into your advantage because it buys you time to respond.

2 Likes

They were in fact nerfed- they lost 100 food starting resources which slows them down considerably in the early game.

It’s not hard to beat Sweden or Japan. Both of these civs you want to play aggressive against and establish map control. Get some pikes out early and start sieging shrines/torps, and then have crossbows out to their muskets while your pikes go to siege something else.

Ottoman is especially good in these matchups. Age up early, get lots of Janissary out early, start sieging shrines/torps ASAP. Ship 3 hussar so that you can snare their muskets so that they can’t run away from your janissaries.

“Safe food” from berries is overrated. Good players will herd animals right on top of their TC anyways as other civs.

Honestly Sweden/Japan are the easiest matchup for me. The one I struggle most with is Dutch, because they just turtle up on top of their TC with banks and herded hunts, and wall up skirmishers in age 2. At least Japan and Sweden require map control to boom.

3 Likes

territorios antarticos,aquele que e uma ilha cercada com gelo

Imagine saying “Samurais are OP” lol.
That’s Japan’s worst unit (sadly
)

3 Likes

Yes exactly, japan is very civ dependent, if you are otto, Spain, haud, maybe Russia, but that’s a bit finicky if japan has whatever their version of colonial militia is called, you will definitely stand a good chance against japan, if you are france, Sweden, USA, or Germany(especially Germany because Japanese villagers gather food very close to the tc so unless japan gets an unlucky gold mine spawn), your screwed,(I put usa on here because japan can spam units in late age 2 by using shrines similar to how brits spam units late in age 2) if they nerf the Japanese shrines and unit upgrades, I would be completely fine with them having the 100 food back hell, they can keep the 100gold and have the food on top of it and I’ll be fine with that as long as they nerf those unit upgrades and those shrines

How I feel about japan and many other civs is that they shouldn’t be a one trick pony, they should nerf the one trick they always do but buff them overall, I like civs to have a deverse array of strategies because if all civs are like that the game becomes more adaptive and you have to constantly switch up what you do as your opponent does the same, as of now japan just only booms and does nothing else.

1 Like

It would be hard to imagine Japan ever getting nerfed enough to make it as weak as the weak civs are now. I don’t think anyone has to worry about Japan ever getting overnerfed. And even if they did, so what? Maybe then some of their other units would get used and different players would play them. I don’t see anything wrong with the ‘win chasers’ having to select an alternate civ.

3 Likes

Japans worst unit is still better than any other unit of its category (hand infantry category) hmm
 I’m starting to notice a trend here.

5 Likes

Yes, even in the worst category of units, Japan has one of the best. The Samurai is literally a more cost-effective Doppelsoldner.

5 Likes

It’s called power creep my friend, power creep and japan is the master of it, ashi power creeped Brit musk and jans, yumi power creeped longbows and x bow(x bows kinda bad to be fair), and yabusame(japan cav archer) is litterally what the United States carbine cavalry tried to be but failed miserably.

2 Likes

Yumis are actually weaker than Longbows.
It is true, however, that Japan’s units are all better than the units thy mostly compare to.
They have a better House Economy and Musket that Britain.
Better Archers than anything else except Longbows.
Better Lancer than Spanish.
Better Swordsman than Germans.
Better Cav Archer than Ottomans and Russians.

Japan was just created to the better civ, and it has more synergies than normal, so not only is it stronger, but it synergizes within itself.

It is, however, not power creep, since China is not stronger than all the Euro and Native civs, and India is only a bit stronger than normal.
It is just that Big Huge Games (the developers of TAD) really like Japan, and wanted it to be OP.
It was designed to be the expansion’s selling point, the OP civ.

6 Likes

Stop saying ashikaru are good because they are decent, not much better then janissaries and I dont see you complaining about that.

I can destroy and ashikaru army with only strelets, making Japan lose much resources for only a few mine.

Shrines are good, but not better then banks, Japan need many cards to upgrade their shrines and you need hunts for them. If you play 1v1 there will only be a few of those. Playing teamgames you have teammates also needing food and in treaty the shrines will give you some speed to age up, but late game you will get outproduced by almost every Euro civ, because all your shrines are about 2 factories.

Also you say core of gathering resources, Japan does that. Do you even know how shrines work? They only give 1 resource, you cant switch between them (in the sense of seperate shrines producing different resources). In AoE every resource is important. Not to mention a shrine in early game only gathers ~0.28 resources when fully occupied. A manor house will give you an actual free settler producing almost triple.

What about nerfing shrines production, giving them a 3rd age upgrade that boost them to original rate?? This could solve some problems without touching treaty.

Other option could be remove arsenal from dutch (they have received pen wagon)

2 Likes

Age 3 is their strongest age btw.

They are good for the same reason all japan units are amazing, their base stats are above average, but you have strong cards, daimyo, golden pavilion, and a strong economy to help you mass them. So if you don’t think that ashis are good, you aren’t sending the right cards and getting the wrong upgrades, oh and not only that, but japan gets advanced Arsenal for free with the golden pavilion, because getting yumis on age up and increasing all units must have not been enough. Japan are the only civ that was overpowered on Asian dynasties that is still OP to this day, the other OP civs on Asian dynasties were France and iro(now haud) and of course japan. The reason japan is still OP now is that the fundamental design of the civilization was, best economy, best units, most upgrades. So if you think ashis are weak you must be doing the “no unit upgrade challenge”

1 Like