How long do you think it will be until the game gets automatic Villager training?

I will offer another reason why automatic villager training should never be a thing:

It would fundamentally change AOE2 way too much. So much of the player base would be in an uproar about it, because it would be altering a game that has stayed roughly the same for 22+ years.

Even if it were to achieve worthy goals such as (1) making AOE2 attract more players, (2) reducing the gap between experienced master players and weak players, and (3) making gameplay more straight forward and simple… this change would be infinitely more groundbreaking than auto-scouting and reseeding have been.

It would be more beneficial to just simply make a new Age of Empires game with the new villager automatic queuing feature.

Introduce Age of Empires 5 (AOE5) with that feature, but leave AOE2 as it is. This game already is quite successful and popular with manual villager queuing.

I think I would dispute this quite heavy.

I would argue that it would change the game in a moderate way for low to middling Elos and in a very mild-ish way for upper Elos. To claim it fundamentally changes the game feels very hyperbolic to me; its not like we are completely redesigning the counter system or adding a new resource or overhauling all of the water play, these would be “fundamental” changes.

I don’t see any reason why this is any more extreme than auto-reseed. I honestly believe auto-scout is more extreme than this (though that is traded off by the fact that it is worse than actual scouting).

4 Likes

Perhaps this must only be given as a civ bonus to the Turks 11

What if you just paid the cost of the Villagers when they are actually being created?
Like, you queue 5 Villagers, but you only pay 50 food once you start producing each one of them. It’s a nice QoL improvement, and it’s not 100% automated.

How does this work with multiple buildings having queues needing resources but not enough food. How does it take priority?

I think it can become wuity tricky on the details. I wonder how it works in age of mythology that already has that feature.

Haven’t played aom in years

The queue in AOM worked on a “first come, first served” basis. So cheaper units always had preference, because obviously the resources to create them were available first. More expensive units were only created once the production of cheaper units was saturated (busy).

If multiple TC’s were “waiting” to produce Villagers, I’m not sure which building had preference. I always assumed it could be any of them, but I never tested properly.

1 Like

The same way that Auto-scout changed the game entirely
And auto-reseed farm did it too; I’m forgetting the universal queue
But what really change the game entirely was the range indicator (Jesus! We may need to rename the game: AoE2 DE RangeIndicator)

Jokes asides,
It will be a good feature, you can always go to setting and disable it; It would help a lot to low elo players

5 Likes

It could be great to came back to the wonderful origin. When villager was in your control. At this time, after villagers finish to build a mill or a lumberjack you tell them where they have to work. With automatic stuff, we can’t choose if villager will chop this particular tree or hunt instead of working in available farm or doing something else.
At this time it was fantastic, you manage most of things no auto game where the game did everything and you just watch the game play by itself. It was a lot of skill to manage economics even sometime you send an unit to attack!
You don’t know what happen when the unit attack because you haven’t time for that but that wasn’t important. The only way to enjoy that today, it by watching someone play for the first time.
If we bring that liberty back it could be wonderfull to also STOP the annoying lumberjact initiative, when they finish a tree they choose which one they want to cut. I want to have the choice. I am the player, it’s my job to decide what my unit do. With this automatic stuff, it can kill you. A villager won’t hesitate to cut the wrong tree and make an hole in your defense. LOL
**It’s my villager, it’s my choice. It won’t be an AI who play at my game that I have paid. If the AI want to play, it have to pay, like every human. I worked hard to buy this game, I din’t ask anything to this AI who think it’s better than me.**The AI stole my game, like a big brother who help you to win a fight in a game and then don’t give the controller back.

Why should a building after finish to create an unit should decide to make another? What if I want to spend my resources somewhere else?
Does the AI beleive that it is god and can make what ever it wants?

I am tired that the AI beleive, it’s better than me. When I play, there is no more glory, if I win, it’s thank to the AI, if I loose it’s not my fault.

2 Likes

I am glad you brought this up, because I think this is the best argument against villager autoqueue. While categorically, I would consider it along the same lines as farm queue and multiqueue and beneficial for similar reasons; there is no denying that the change would be more substantial than those. While I would agree with @coolios9876 that “fundamentally change AOE2” is an overstatement, the line of the argument is very valid and hard to fully refute.

The underlying question lies in the subjective question of whether the value of AOE2 DE lies in being a reissue of the same game people have been playing for 23 years, or as an improvement of the game people have been playing for 23 years. This isn’t cut and dry. AOE2 DE would not exist if the existing game was not so good to maintain popularity for all these years. But also AOE2 DE would have no purpose if it was not an improvement at least in some way of the existing game.

It is hard to know the motivations of all players. But, since so much of the player base has moved to DE rather than staying at Voobly, which hasn’t gone anywhere, I would suspect that there is at least SOMETHING in the improvements of DE that make it more appealing than the already good existing game. I know for me, the two things that grabbed my attention were select-all hotkeys and ranked queue both of which were significant precisely because they were substantially different.

What if AOE2 DE IS that new game? AOE2 with some improvements.

I also think that “a game that has stayed roughly the same for 22+ years” warrants some examination. It sounds true and also seems to be the public perception. But is it really true? Has gradual change made us forget the change? I still remember my Dad getting the conquerors and marveling at the new 95 hp monks, no horses, and the original “auto everything” - aoc farm reseed. I remember coming back to the game and seeing multiqueue implemented - a transformational change that was in other games but never in AOE. I remember seeing that new civs and second unique technologies had been added to an already old game. I remember seeing the addition of fire galley, a unit that radically changed fuedal water dynamics. I still remember palisade gate not existing. Getting to DE, it just increases. I have already mentioned select all, ranked queue, autofarm reseed, global queue, and even autoscout. Shall we mention supplies, 60 unit formations, substantially increased hotkeys, and countless balance tweaks? Can we really say the early zone AOK days of AOE 2 are roughly the same as early voobly days? Can we say that late voobly days are the same as early voobly. Can we say that early DE is equivalent to late voobly, or current DE to early DE (let’s not forget the Cuman tyrrany)?

But with all that said, the core of your point is still valid. Even if the change is fundamentally a good one, negative public perception of it alone may outweigh the benefits of implementing it. I think that is what makes threads like this beneficial. Talking with people to perhaps change that.

3 Likes

Your idea of an improvement is not other peoples idea of improvement

That’s fair, and the purpose of my arguments before that post was to either argue to change that or to highlight the ways that people’s existing ideas of improvement are along the same lines as mine.

The purpose of my mentioning an improvement in that comment, however, was in consideration of @Antelope962027 's point that even if it were an improvement, it’s sheer significance would cause problems.

1 Like

Is there a mod with auto-queue for Villagers?

You can select which tree you want your villager to cut after the lumber, you can even select which trees after that tree.
The game left you decide how much do you want be involved.
I think the auto-train-villagers button also let you decide when you want a new vill or when you don’t.
TBH I don’t really see it as a game changer

Lets say you forget to turn off auto villager creation then it will eat up all your food and pop space.

This is a, satire, right?.. Right?

1 Like

How to know?
If I am against auto villager, it’s not.
If I am for it, yes.

Let say you forget to create villagers then you will be behind in eco with plenty food a pop space

It will open different ways to play the game, I don’t think it will ruin the game (more than universal queue, shift queueing, auto-scout, re-seeding farms, range indicator)

1 Like

So what is the best solution? Do it manually or make it auto?
Dont forget this game has a considerable single player base as well who dont care about these.

I’m just saying that the option could be implemented without ruin the game
It could be very similar to the re-seed farms (or re-build fish traps) button in the mill (and in the Dock)
And could be set in the option in the way you want it (it will make sense to be enable at the beginning of each game and then disable it after reaching castle age)

1 Like

These 2 thing are already set up by the player manually its only automating a repeating task.Having villagers or any other unit which is not doing a specific task once created is waste of resources.