How many units can be on the wall?

Hello folks,

Do we have any information in regards to how many units you can have on your walls because on most pictures we have seen you always see 1 or 2 units here and there and that’s makes me think if this is an intended thing to balance the defender not being too much OP against the attackers having like 100 archer’s on the wall.

A bit more clarification would be nice from the developers about how this will work.

4 Likes

There will likely be things like Rams, Mantlets, and Huskarl type units, whose sole job is to make putting 100 Archers on the Walls, obsolete and an auto-loss, just like in every other AoE game.

Just go to AoE2, and play as Mayans vs Goths, and see what good massing Archers does to a hard counter.
In real History, Mantlets, Tower Shields, Capped Rams and Siege Towers, existed precisely to negate the defenders advantage of just raining down Arrows on an assaulting force. If they stick to realism, 100 Archers on the Wall will be basically the defending player choosing to lose.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen a public statement answering you.

1 Like

and the Gulyay-gorod for Russian unique Age 4 siege

1 Like

Honestly, I think Rus should instead get an unique upgrade to the Siege Tower. Specially because the Siege of Kazan was hinted at.

" Siege towers became vulnerable and obsolete with the development of large cannon. They had only ever existed to get assaulting troops over high walls and towers and large cannons also made high walls obsolete as fortification took a new direction. However, later constructions known as 'battery towers took on a similar role in the gunpowder age; like siege-towers, these were built out of wood on-site for mounting siege artillery. One of these was built by the Russian military engineer Ivan Vyrodkov during the siege of Kazan in 1552 (as part of the Russo-Kazan Wars), and could hold ten large-calibre cannon and 50 lighter cannons.[8] Likely, it was a development of the gulyay-gorod (that is a mobile fortification assembled on wagons or sleds from prefabricated wall-sized shields with holes for cannons). Later battery towers were often used by the Ukrainian Cossacks."

Battery Towers as a slow moving, undeployable Cannon Battery that constantly attacks, is awsome.
You would not need to deploy it like the Bombard, and it could fire on the move, but only forward.

1 Like

there is no reason not to have both :wink:

1 Like

Imagine the face of the people on the Walls, when a moving Tower with 60 Guns, just never stops attacking in volleys, and they cannot even get up from the battlements, unless they want to get reaped by cannon fire.

This is why devs should stick to realism for this game. There is a world of military innovations in the 1500s, that they can tap on, in Eurasia.

1 Like

hmm like a CoH “pinned” effect? Would be cool if it was implemented (maybe we get the choice to keep attacking at higher damage reception).

1 Like

Getting units ragdolled out of Walls, by successive Cannon fire, would be a pretty cool visual effect!
Would really make me buy this game, expecting Turks and Ports, in the future.

Roll in the Guns!

6 Likes

They could also bring a unique advantage if playing as the byzantine, that grants additional benefit with the walls such as Greek fire being rained down at the enemy behind the walls and other bonuses like bonus dmg for towers/archers etc.

1 Like

Fire Towers!
Think about it!

Byzantines could have Fire Towers instead of Cannon Towers, which specialize in absolutely destroying approaching Siege units and Ships, but lack the Range of normal Towers.

4 Likes

Exactly! Given that they are a defensive civilization this would make sense and also a must for people who love that playstyle.

3 Likes

I would love so much than medieval siege towers in games were like it was in reality. Huge, heavy armed, a decisive element of the siege, slowly moved to the right position, to attack and break the best defenders positions.

Instead of that, we have the total war ones all the times, numerous, weak, and not decisive, only purpose is to pop units on the walls, something which could be done with ladders.

1 Like

And it would add to their statements of the civs being asymmetrical
responding to the OP, imo, I don’t really think there is a limit (no official announcement) but I don’t think it would be wise to stack the walls. If you focus walls, they could focus a section of the wall with siege and rush in through the breach.

1 Like

This is a good question, want to know this one too. Hope they put a lot of thoughts into balancing this.

3 Likes

The Chinese have the opportunity to build the Great Wall but idk if this increase unit count on the Wall.

1 Like

I’d like to see at least 1 or 2 factions getting benefits from their walls that other faction doesn’t, just to add another game-play into the game.

I mean they used the walls exactly for those reasons back then to also put soldiers on them to make it more difficult for the attacking force to go up with ladders etc. I can see how that might be difficult to balance though.

1 Like

I count 39 archers on this pic, lol. I think you can put many units on the wall . Maybe dont limit?