How Native American civs COULD be balanced and realistic

Mongols did not build, nor know how to build, a single raft.
The first invasion used the fleet of Goryeo.
The second invasion used the rebuilt fleet of Goryeo for the northern army and the Song merchant fleet for the southern army.

We’ve already seen that Delhi and Abbasids get the same ships so it’s almost sure the Mongols will also simply get Ming warjunks. As weird as it may look.

7 Likes

No, they used Korean and Chinese ships, they never learned to build any boat.

3 Likes

What are specific prepositions of how to make them good in Age 4?
Obviously they can’t get better weapons or armor than what they already have, unlike the non-American civs.
Pike and Shot would rip through them in other words

1 Like

They would leverage superior Economy to get to Age 3 and 4 faster, and then use numbers to overwhelm. Their upgrades would also be weaker, more inclined towards utility than stats boosts, and cheaper to synergize.

This is similar to how Goths and Malay play in AoE2, and is pretty decent and traditional to the series.

1 Like

So when the other civs get to Age 3 or 4 the NAtives will be stuffed if they didn’t rush hard enough?

2 Likes

Yes. Goths play like this too, and no one has isuues with it.

1 Like

I think a late age 2/early age 3 powerspike would be appropriate for a civ like this for sure. Without knowing the full design of the other civs it’s limiting to imagine how to build another civ, but this kind of build would be natural to other assymetric AoE games, particularly AoEO.

3 Likes

This has been done in hundreds of games, way before AoEO.
Starcraft follows this logic too. Lategame Skytoss just deletes both other races, and the game is still balanced.

It also makes sense that a technologically superior faction just dominates in the lategame, but can be taken down by a more energetic Rushing, Expansionist, or Resource Depleting faction in the previous stages.

If I remember correctly, they even advertized that the Mongols would only have 3 Ages, way back when they announced the game, but now they will have 4 like all other civs, while the Abbasids will have a faux-Age 5.

Does anyone really think that the 13th century Mongols would be able to compete with Pike & Shotte armies?
Pike & Shotte dominated Warfare after it was introduced precisely because it just broke everything else. It was just adopted by almost every Eurasian power, because there was no stronger tactic or formation.
Even the Ottomans, who used to fight in the Steppe style like the Mongols, adopted Pike & Shotte, as not doing so would be suicide.

2 Likes

Yes mixing up types of factions is ofc universal in rts. I mean those unit rosters of yours feel very much right out of AoEO. That’s a compliment. AoEO’s civs are the perfect model for the types of civs players here are asking for. AoEO is a very smartly made game in the area of civ design.

Wow when did they said that Mongols would have only 3 ages?

Yeah thats when they should finish their opponent completely. However I think they should be full aggressive and strong from the beginning.

American Tech Tree

Barracks

American Spearman

• Less Armour, Hitpoints and Attack than Eurasian Equivalent
  • Only costs a half population
  • Faster than Eurasian Infantry

Warrior

• Armour and Hitpoints of an Eurasian Spearman but more attack
  • Takes the role of the Man at Arms
  • Faster than Eurasian Infantry

Shock Infantry

• A bit weaker than Warrior
  • Even faster but slower than Cavalry
  • Like AoE2 Eagle Warrior of AoE3 Coyote Runner

Archery Range

American Bowman

• Less Armour, Hitpoints, Attack and Range than Eurasian Bowman

Javelin Thrower

• Short range ranged unit
  • Stronger attack than Bowman
  • Attack bonus against cavalry in Melee

Slinger

• Lower damage and range than American Bowman
  • Ignores Armour

Siege Workshop

Light Ram

• Cheaper, weaker but faster then European Ram
  • Less resistant against arrows

Siege ladder

• Not sure how they could work well in the AoE4 system

Mantlet

• High range resistance
  • High fire damage

Captured Bombard

• Same as Eurasian bombard but more expensive and slower rate of fire

Navy

Raft

• Low capacity transport
  • Stationed Archers can shoot from it

Buildings and Technologies

We don’t know enough about how the other Civilisations work yet to judge this.
They shouldn’t have a blacksmith like in AoE2, that doesn’t fit in.

Aztecs

Unique Units

Jaguar Warrior

• Replaces regular Warrior
  • Higher Attack than Warrior but weaker to ranged damage

Eagle Warrior

• Replaces Javelin Thrower
  • Faster and stronger than Javelin thrower
  • Has small ranged attack bonus against cavalry

Unique features

Batch training

• Can train up to 5 Foot Soldiers at once
  • Base train time is 2x as long so effective train time is 2.5x as fast
  • Castle or Imperial Age only

Inca

Unique units

Bolas Warrior

• Doesn’t replace any unit
  • Ranged unit with attack bonus against cavalry
  • Slows down cavalry and temporarily disables their charge

Jungle Bowman

• Replaces American Bowman
  • Deals poison damage
  • Costs a full population

Chasqui

• Replaces scout

Unique features

Tambos

• Unique building that can be build on top of Gold and Stone mines
  • Can station villagers to mine the resources
  • Can station military for defence
  • Can train Chasqui

Garrison

• Garrison infantry can shoot too
3 Likes

No, this is exactly the sort of stuff we don’t want.

Would not a ‘warrior’ be a spearman or shock infantry as well?? What’s the difference?

No.

No.

Also very weak (one shot by cannonball).

Jungle Blowman is more accurate :wink:
Would do no damage to armored targets however.

On a side note, I wonder if arrows can skid off armored units and into other units (maybe thi s is too hard to implement). Would be a nice historical thing

1 Like

I Think Sapper Teams would actually replace Trebuchets and Bombards for thesse civs. They would act in a similar way, but instead of firing a hard-hitting projectile evert few seconds, they would drain the HP of buildings (Walls) in a small target area, over time.

I also think that that units cost cost 1/2 pop and other more exotic asymmetries, should be on a civ by civ basis, and tied to their unit line upgrades, as to provide a good sense of progression. Some of these abilities, could even be tied to Landmarks, with the Age Up system.

For example, Aztec Papalotl Slinger (Papalotl is a rank, like Veteran) upgrading into Otomi Slinger, actually makes more sense for a unit costing half a pop, since the sling allowed them to easily capture victims for sacrifice, and as such was heavily favoured over the Bow, for example.

A Temple of Huitzilopochtli could gve Aztec Warpriests the Warcry ability, and The House of the Cutter of Men (a political position in Mexica society, so it would be more like a Palace) could allow the player to upgrade is Macahuitl Warrior line into Jaguar Warrior or Shorn One, one Age earlier, depending of when it was built, or even just offer the upgrade for free.

1 Like

really!!?
where have you seen that?

This shot in the E3 Trailer. You can see the yellow player has camels, so they are Abbasids. The Green is obvious Delhi with the architecture and elephants. The ships, meanwhile, are the same for both sides. Except for player color and the symbol on their sails.

2 Likes

Aztecs could also get a unique sacrifical altar building that provides a food bounty for each enemy unit killed (because of cannibalism.)

Ah iirc the Aztec never ate the sacrifices.

This is controversial however

Yes they did sacrifices, but from the perspective of the Spanish they could have been said to eat the humans afterwards to further disgust Spanish and other Europeans in regards to them.

Just another case of what is written doesn’t always occur.

2 Likes

Maybe have the aztec free for any one, has free game basic.

It will be usefull to keep a incoming flow of players, just like in starcraft 2, where they put a part of game free to play.

It will encourage people to try the game and it will boost the sell on the long term.

People who dont have the money could play it and they could buy the full game when they saved enouf money.

It is a win scenario for every one.

I wanted to push this to the top cause I think this guy had the best ideas on how a balanced and historically accurate America would look. Something that I would like to see at some point, but would be incredibly difficult to get right. The beauty of AOE 4 compared to 2 is that the civs have depth. The language, buildings, clothes, etc make the civs feel real. AOE 2 just reskinned one civ 40 times and gave them a unique unit. If they extended this to Incas and Aztecs and took the time to get the history/culture right, it would provide an experience I’ve never seen in any game or movie before. Seriously, name one place you can get an authentic Aztec experience without flying to Mexico. Just saying, lot of cool vibes they can dig up. Just have to find a way to balance it with the Eurasian civs and this guy had some solid ideas.