How to design up-to-date Fog of War by AoE4?

Can you give there some games as example?

CoH mechanics don’t fit AoE. Company of Heroes is rather “hide and seek” micromanagement game of 4-10 units, where each hit and each ability activation counts. That’s a completely opposite of large scale base build RTS like AoE.

Well Empire Earth was first RTS by Stainless Steel Studios.
It’s a big problem if Designers are not familiar with RTS.

By RTS sizes, shapes and scale has to be different than by other games, so they fit properly on screen.

I did make already a topic for this.
AoE4 Base Build Gameplay. A New Hope for the Genre or just another Menace of too simplified design?

I think it depends on the intention for the gameplay design. Is it supposed to be a direct simplified short simple small size group brawler, where you have to hold key locations to collect points like CoH? Big maps might get boring as units won’t reach in time their task, and game would be over before you truly did start to play.

Is the game supposed to be a base build RTS, where you use tactics and planning? You kind of require space to have tactics and planning.

AoE is clearly a base build RTS, so you need place for base, space to manoeuvre and several possible combat fields. But that’s not how games are done these days. Problem by modern day RTS is this, you hold key area and spam to it units, I do not say its bad a gameplay design, its just there is nothing more to it.

So for Fog of War to function, a unit should clearly see the battlefield and the map should have the size to cover up what people do prepare. I actually would like to see not only bigger maps, but also they should randomize from game to game, like there is a lake instead of forest , there should be tech buildings to buff the fog and shroud should be back, so you can’t instant predict where everything is.