How to potentially expand target audience

If we hope to realistically rejuvinate the RTS genre for Gen Z’s then we have to take into account what they are interested in. Kids these days love to equip their characters with different skins to make them look cool. We could accomadate by adding some customization for units and buildings that you earn through acheivements, progression through the campaigns, special events or purchasable in an in-game store. Not only would it make the younger auidience feel more engaged, it would also address some of the concern people are having where they wish different cultures had a more unique look to them.

Wouldn’t it be cool if completing the rise of moscow campaign unlocked a unique look for your stone walls and a cool uniform for your strelets that looked more historically accurate? Yes, although you might be wondering why they wouldn’t just give us that from the start. The reason is, that a lot of people, especially the younger people, love to earn cosmetic upgrades, a little bit more choice when it comes to colour scheme and slight variation to how everything looks is huge to them.
None of the changes would affect gameplay, (only purely graphical) and they should not affect readability either, so long as the focus is on making the units look more realistic to the faction they are associated with.
Making the mongol infantry look unique, giving veteren knights capes and shinier armour, or changing a chinese town center to have a more traditionally chinese looking roof tile could be some good examples.

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

sounds nice, but I would say it should be the other way around. Let them earn less historical skins, maybe even weird ones, similar to age 2s special community missions :wink:

BUT there has to be a setting to deactivate them. If someone doesnt want them at all.

3 Likes

Skins are a bad idea in an RTS. It’s important to be able to immediately differentiate a lot of different units. It’s not such a problem in other genres as there are less “things” on the screen. But in an RTS, there’s a real risk that a skin could cause something to be mistaken for something else.
This problem is remediated by making skins client-side, but no one wants client-side skins.

3 Likes

I do agree that skins are more risky in rts than other genres but if they make simple changes and they clearly show the type of the unit this shouldn’t be an issue

i mean never say never some people just like seeing fancy units xD

1 Like

How about we teach them also that games can be fun the other way around by not following the Fortnite template?

2 Likes

Weve been using vanity to change our units since 2011. It’s fun, and we have a setting to completely remove it if anyone cares that much.

4 Likes

If there was an option to completely disable them, I wouldn’t complain (so long as it doesn’t interfere with any graphical mods I might want to install).

3 Likes