Huge lag caused by switch from GPU 1 (Nvidia) to GPU 0 (Integrated Intel) intermittently in game

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 43210
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Huge lag in multiplayer. I notice through Window’s Task Manager that the lag happens when the GPU used for the game switches from GPU 1 (Nvidia) to GPU 0 (Intel integrated card).

I have spent days figuring out why it would switch. All the settings are correct and I made sure AoE2 DE uses only Nvidia GPU.

When GPU 0 has been switched to, units are nearly impossible to control. After a while, it re-switches to GPU 1, and I can play normally again…

Also, I can run the benchmark dozens of times, and there will be no lag and no GPU problem. The benchmark gives a 1200 and up score.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Play a 4v4 multiplayer game in unranked lobby.

1 Like

Update: I branched a second monitor to display the Window’s taskbar while I am playing.

Even though there is switching between GPU 1 and GPU 0 (which doesn’t seem to happen in benchmark test), it seems that the FPS drops drastically intermittently whether one is used or the other.

So even if the taskbar shows GPU 1 is used, the FPS also will suddenly drop to around 10 (instead of the usual 60). And it will be unplaybale.

Maybe the nvidia gpu is overheating?

I think anniversary patch brought some issue with the gpus, to me the gpu clock is 500mhz all the time, usage below 40% even if i upscale it to 4k, i haven’t played a single game free of stutter or big lags in multiplayer 3x3 or 4x4, well even in 1x1…

1 Like

It only started to happen after the anniversary patch.

But as the benchmark test runs super smoothly, how can it be because of the GPU?

The benchmark unfortunately doesn’t reflect reality at all. I can run it multiple times, FPS won’t drop as it does in multiplayer games.

I tried all different things. Namely I limited the FPS at 25 through the Nvidia Control Panel. The limit works, never goes up 25.

But at some point, there is a huge drop of FPS. I play this game for 2 years with this laptop. I have always experienced some lag but it really only happens after the last patch that it lags so drastically.

Yeah I can confirm this problem occurs to me too. Thanks to @thieftdp8498 for letting me know that there are other people with the same problem.
Here’s the link to my report: UI vanishes when using mods for prolonged time period

I got a similar problem, my game get huge fps loss every 3 seconds, but I got a case computer not a laptop, and a AMD rx570. Singleplayer for me.

Disabling iGPU in device manager might fix the problem temporarily while they actually patch out this bug…