Hypothetical Change

Every other topic on these forums are people making suggestions or balance changes which add little or nothing to improve the game. And I very much doubt that these suggestions are taking seriously or even read by the dev teams anyway. I file this topic under the same category.

Well I know at least two big names in the community support the idea of at least giving it a try, iā€™ll take that as a minor win.

1 Like

who are the big names?

viper has said a couple times he thinks it would be interesting to see how it plays out, and memb.

2 Likes

As someone pointed out before and as i like the theorethical mathmetical equasion for 6 vills i would definetly support it as i for myself had it multiple times on maps like michi and it dident really alter too much

Go chrck deepwaters pro league if you want to see whst a 9 vill start does. Video some posts up

2 Likes

I like the +6 vills for a tournament,not sure for the ladder
What about the Mayans and Chinese?

itā€™s actually a nerf to them if you think about it, so seeing as people want them nerfed anyway, as they are arguably 2 of the top 3 civs, i think it helps on that front.

1 Like

I watched Tatoh vs Jordan and the Mayans still have the extra vill, 10 in total
I just wonder if the Chinese get the +3 vills on top of the 6 extra, 12 in total

they do, but the nerf comes from something else.
4 villagers instead of 3 is a 33% increase.
7 instead of 6 or 10 instead of 9 is a much smaller increase.

1 Like

Still, you have one (or 3) vill advantage so early in the game
Sure itā€™s a nerf to them but I donā€™t think they are in the weaker side now

i didnā€™t say it would make them weak, it just makes them weaker then they are now, which is a positive.

1 Like

I just watched a couple of matches now. i think like with most ā€œbiggerā€ changes it would seem intimidating at first, i would definitely like to try it, at least with 3 extra vils, maybe 6 eventually? but even though i play EW, i think i would also feel intimidated with 6 extra vils.

3 for me would feel like the same game though, just a bit faster start, since you basically always do the exact same thing with your first 3, but with 6 it puts more pressure on decision making, so i would understand the resistance.

either way i feel like its one of those things where a lot of people will naturally oppose it until they try it. like the people that thought turks would be broken (my usual list), auto scout would be broken, or even the different iterations of arabia maps being unplayable

thatā€™s not totally correct. mayans would not start housed in this situation, so they would get their extra vil for the entire dark age. also chinese would have more vils to start with, so they could more easily gather the food for the first vil to queue, making their start more consistent

1 Like

yes but 1 extra villager when you start with 6 or 9 is a lot different then 1 extra villager when you start with 3.
weā€™ve literally seen this in other RTS, like SC2, where starting with more villagers, and then pulling a villager to scout with or to forward a base has a much smaller impact on your overall economy overall.

but again, its a lower percentage of the starting numbers. starting with 6 when you normally have 3 is a bigger advantage then starting with 9 instead of 6. or 12 instead of 9.

1 Like

This is how AoE 4 games start - 6 vills and TC with 10 pop space.

2 Likes

The first 9 villagers always do the same thing, except for super rare specific build orders. This is a good way of trying to speed those monotonous first minutes. Iā€™ve grown to love the standard start, but this is not necessarily a bad change.

4 Likes

Chinese and Mayans would basically lose their first minute and a half of villager collection, so while not game changing its still pretty fitting for those civs.

But tbh Mayans may end up overall better if they dont start the game popcapped

1 Like

I think it could be experimented with a set of maps, without affecting the overall dynamics of the game.
Devs could create a set of map with different starting conditions, and propose them for normal and ladder games

1 Like

So it would be like the Regicide has a similar set up, but without a Castle and without the king.

This needs more to work and to attract people. A change like this should be aiming to become a game mode on its own. Replacing the Empire Wars garbage would be a good start.