I found out there seems to be a regional bias in aoe3

After watching quite a lot of western streamers (on twitch) and some Asian streamers, it seems to me most of european gamers like to play only european civs as seen on twitch, many Asian players play Asian civs, quite a lot of turkish players play only Ottomans…is it because the asymmetry of the game? Unlike aoe2 and aoe4 where all players play all civs. The tournament even have civ reset after a few games, which allows competitors to pick their favourite european civs again, they don’t even need to learn non euro civs to win tournament…imo players should learn more civs to be called a good player

Or maybe we should have tournament where player have to pick one civ from each continent? Or no reset civs? Things like that

I think it’s just that Europeans are most popular. There are also many Asians who play as European Civ.

2 Likes

The more asymmetry a game has the more people focus on one civilisation.
AoM players are even more likely to just play one civ.

Most Starcraft and Warcraft players almost exclusively play 1 race.

It is not surprising that most people play the civilisations they can relate to the most.

10 Likes

There are tons of asian players that exclusively play their civ whether it be india, china or japan same with turkish and the ottomans. I don’t really see the same with most european players, I’m sure there’s some but the civs they play seem to be more varied.

J’adore jouer la Chine et le Japon, ainsi que les Aztèques et en civ Européennes je joue avec plaisir Russie, Allemagne et Suède, après faudrait que je tombe dessus plus souvent quand je joue en civ aléatoire au lieu d’une fois sur trois la France ou Hausa et Éthiopie.

idk i feel like when japan was playable they where very popular.

the only factions i dont really see are native americans, they just aren’t popular to play because they are too complicated for the majority of players.

1 Like

There is absolutely correlations and trends based on nationalities.

East asian hours TAD civs and usa are very common.
Usa hours play DE civs alot
Old worlders play older civs

That said its not a 1 to 1 but just trends. Like im sure the fact europeans make up a majority of playerbase and euro civs being most popular is somewhat related.

1 Like

Also since the player base is quite small, a sizeable quantity of the remaining players are probably history enjoyers. And history enjoyers are quite often displaying patriotism couples with nostalgia of a not so distant past of their own country, which is something that the game allows to express by the choice of played civilization.

2 Likes